Marnier of the Seas Upgrade/Refurbishment ?!

I had seen an article yesterday about Marnier stating she would receive over $100 million in refurbishments and upgrades. The most expensive that Royal has ever spent doing this getting her ready for heading to Miami in 2018 for 3/4 day cruises.

Anyone else see/read/hear this as I can t seem to find this article anywhere now. Also wondering which ship will be bumped out now of the 3/4 day Bahamas short cruises as a result. Seems like a large ship for these types of cruises? Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Any updates on this?  Seems weird we haven't heard anything at all yet? With $100 million being spent, it has to be some major changes/work?

I am looking at booking her in Oct....its  a good deal and some friends want to join. Curious as to when and what the refurbishments will be.

Its like its a big secret or mystery...I mean if its going in March..that's about 30 days away and nothing announced yet?...it would have to start its trip halfway around the world soon to get here wouldn't it too?

As for the work being done..on Royal's page it hints about some "water" stuff being added(thinking maybe some slides?) and sounds like they are going to try and make it a little more lively and party like atmosphere out of Miami......but that was what the said about Empress and I am not sure how true that is.

Nevertheless, its weird how they announced a whole bunch of stuff that Indy is getting done, but yet this is the biggest ever and nothing.....

The last cruise I can find lands in Barcelona in April IIRC.  Then at the end of June she starts the 3/4 night cycle out of FL.  

The work might be performed in Europe.  An Azamara ship is being refurbed in Belfast this summer as an example.  Lots of shipyards compete for this type of work around the world.

I'm guessing there is some uncertainty about when the work will complete so maybe they are hesitant to offer a transatlantic only to have to cancel it.

On another site it was stated the "modernization" (not refurbishment) will take place in Cadiz, Spain.  

ON CC I found reference to a May transatlantic cruise that was cancelled and a claim that staff on board reported no passengers will be on board for the new Spain to FL reposition cruise.

Speculation is that work will continue during the TA so no guests.

On the most recent investors call they offered fleet wide modernizations in 2018-19.  Project excalibur is supposed to bring new tech eventually to the whole fleet.  Wonder if that will be done now during the TA since it likely wasn't part of the original project plan for the dry dock.

Well there has to be a lot going on..if this is the biggest one ever....wish there was more concrete info out about it...I am surprised they haven't released more to try and drum up excitement and bookings etc for this seeing as its such a big thing...or so they make it seem like.

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Well there has to be a lot going on..if this is the biggest one ever....wish there was more concrete info out about it...I am surprised they haven't released more to try and drum up excitement and bookings etc for this seeing as its such a big thing...or so they make it seem like.

Agreed.  

It's like they are trying to be Apple with all speculation but no details until the big reveal. 

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Agreed.  

It's like they are trying to be Apple with all speculation but no details until the big reveal. 

And I hate apple...for that reason among many others....lol.

So I hope Royal isn't going down that road.....just give us a little something to talk about and get excited about!

It seems counter-productive to cruising.  Buying a smartphone on a whim is one thing.  Buying a cruise vacation is very different.

Who is going to book in the prime June-July-August summer vacation peak without knowing anything?  Safer to book another ship.

Granted the 3/4 night FL market is a different target audience so maybe those are mostly booked on a whim, last minute. 

14 hours ago, catinthehat300 said:

These updates would be awesome. Just booked my Late October cruise.  Excited for the updates.

Same here...Oct 22....long ways away and don't want to rush summer away when it gets here but defn excited to hear what the updates are...should be hearing them soon I would imagine.

9 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

It looks like a lot of stuff for a short trip cruise. How would you have time for everything? :o The bungy thing is pretty cool and laser tag might be fun. 

I think it's a great strategy.

A lot of cruise lines put their old, small ships on the 3/4 night itineraries and leave the newer, nicer ships for longer cruises.  The problem is that a lot of first timers are attracted to short cruises to test it and see if they like it with minimal investment in case they don't.  The result is a lot of potential repeat business is lost because the first experience isn't the same as it is on bigger, newer ships doing longer cruises.

This is a game changer.  Too much to do on a 3/4 night cruise is actually a good thing.  It will leave a great impression and leave guests with  "I didn't have time for everything, I better go again".

If a first time cruiser then jumps over to another line's tired old ship for another 3/4 night cruise they will be struck at the differences and inferior experience.

It has the potential to create brand loyalty.  "I loved my Mariner cruise so much, I'm sticking with Royal" and "I loved this cruise but it was too short, let's do a longer one".

Pretty smart actually and Navigator is joining the 3/4 night FL cruise market in 2019.  A giant ship by the short cruise perspective.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Back to back!

Now might be a good time to shamelessly plug our Mariner of the Seas group cruise! https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/event/royalcaribbeanblogcom-double-dip-cococay

If only I could convince my wife to 2 next year (I guess technically 3) fairly close to each other too. Mariner was my first ship ever and that was when she was fairly new and I'm excited about these changes just not sure when I can get on her again.

This sort of strikes me as being in the same vein as Carnival’s “Fun Ship 2.0” effort. Those are some serious upgrades for a Voyager class ship, even more than what Adventure got. Some of it (the bungee launcher and laser tag) is stuff I couldn’t consider as a guy with mobility limits. But things like the Players Sports Bar that will match what’s coming to Symphony of the Seas is a great idea; match what’s on the biggest and newest in a scaled-down manner, and draw the folks in from the 3-4 nighter to a full week with similar or same experience.

I noticed that Baylee was quoted as saying that Skypad will be free unless demand is too high, then they'll charge to control crowds.

That's an interesting quote.  North Star and iFly are in high demand but they use reservations to manage crowds, much like entertainment on Quantum and Oasis class.

If Skypad is going to become paid based on demand, that doesn't bode well for many free activities. 

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I noticed that Baylee was quoted as saying that Skypad will be free unless demand is too high, then they'll charge to control crowds.

That's an interesting quote.  North Star and iFly are in high demand but they use reservations to manage crowds, much like entertainment on Quantum and Oasis class.

If Skypad is going to become paid based on demand, that doesn't bode well for many free activities. 

I really hope they don't start charging for it...or it will be just one less thing for me to do on my cruise.

They can figure out a better way to "crowd control" then to start charging people...that's the easy and lazy way out....come on now.

Here is the quote:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/royal-caribbean-announces-new-skypad-for-independence--13102

“We’re very excited about Skypad,” Bayley said. “It’s pretty amazing, we’re combining trampolines and virtual reality experience”.

The Skypad, which will be located on the ship’s top deck, will comprise four trampolines, with customers fitted with VR headsets and placed in a bungee harness, Bayley explained. The VR headsets will then “transport them to another time and planet to bounce over moon craters or compete in intergalactic games", Royal Caribbean said.

Bayley added that there would be no charge for the experience, but admitted this may change depending on demand.

“There’s no cost attached to it currently but we’ll have to manage demand. If it gets crazily popular then we will have to charge,” he said.

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

Here is the quote:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/royal-caribbean-announces-new-skypad-for-independence--13102

“We’re very excited about Skypad,” Bayley said. “It’s pretty amazing, we’re combining trampolines and virtual reality experience”.

The Skypad, which will be located on the ship’s top deck, will comprise four trampolines, with customers fitted with VR headsets and placed in a bungee harness, Bayley explained. The VR headsets will then “transport them to another time and planet to bounce over moon craters or compete in intergalactic games", Royal Caribbean said.

Bayley added that there would be no charge for the experience, but admitted this may change depending on demand.

“There’s no cost attached to it currently but we’ll have to manage demand. If it gets crazily popular then we will have to charge,” he said.

What he really means is ... but if people like it enough to stand in line for it, of course we will start charging fees for it.

14 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

What he really means is ... but if people like it enough to stand in line for it, of course we will start charging fees for it.

That is exactly my fear.  

RC shouldn't be adding anything that might not be popular.  If something new isn't going to be popular, why waste ship real estate on it?

North Star and iFly on Quantum class are perfect examples.  Crazy popular.  So popular it's hard to get reservation before cruising, they go in a flash.  No charge for them.   

Are they going to start charging for them now?  Bumper cars.  Zip line.  Flowriders.  All have lines when they are open.  Time to start charging for them?  Broadway shows.  Ice shows.  Comedy Club.  Time to start charging I guess, they are popular too, except Cats - that can remain free.