20-year old jumps overboard on Liberty

So sad 😞 I am sure there will be a lawsuit if RC was serving this underage gentleman. I expect it will come out that the brother was purchasing for him though. I hate that Liberty has been tainted with this. She is a fantastic ship and having been on her 3 times, she's close to my heart. So unfortunate. 

I just saw the headline- very sad. At 20 years old, it is absolutely tragic and I am sure the investigation into how he consumed alcohol in the first place will put the family through the ringer during an already tough time. I do hope they remove 'drunk' from the RCB headline though since it is an ongoing investigation. 

Sounds like suicide.... A good friend of mine in college did this same exact thing on the Carnival Destiny back in 99 or 2000. The cruise was a graduation gift from his parents. He got trashed and broke down to his friend on board said he couldn't go on any longer... Walked to the back of the ship and jumped. He was never found. 

57 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

So very sad for the family no matter what the details truly are.  And also for the cruise line!

Yes, very sad and new details are emerging. Apparently there was a family argument that preceded this event. Speculation on my part but maybe the argument revolves around the fact that he was underage and was drunk. During this argument the man/boy jumped. Very tragic for all involved.

I was on that cruise and think it may have been the person in the cabin next to me.  When I woke up that morning that they had a lock on the cabin door next to me and someone was guarding the door all morning.

i saw a person go in that cabin day 1.  I thought it was a teen boy or could have been 20.  I wasn't really looking at him cuz I was decorating my door when he came and used a key to get in.  My daughter and I were telling him how I sometimes put my deco on other doors the last night to confuse people.  He laughed.  He was black, quiet and polite, not someone who seemed like a raging alcoholic like the press seems to be saying.  It could have been the brother though.  We never heard a noise out of that cabin, no partying, no arguing, no slamming doors.  I looked over our balcony at theirs after I saw the lock, there was nothing but chairs there.

IMG_9718.jpeg

9 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Very sad. At some point this litigation will force active countermeasures on all ships. It won’t be long before suicide nets are deployed around the perimeter of the ship. What a horrible way to go between the onset of hypothermia and the hungry sharks. 

I read that 20-30 people go overboard every year, industry wide.  I don't see them installing nets ever.  I could see them forcing the windows shut on the pool decks at night.  I could also see them perhaps having employees walk by the pools decks more often at night, looking for over intoxicated people, but that's about it.  

There are systems they could install apparently that can help find people in the water that go overboard.  I read Disney cruise ships have them, I don't know for sure.  

so sad.  If it was the kid we talked to he was just about ready to start his life!  I don't think RC would have served him.  Had to be a relative or friend that did.  He could have started drinking in the Dominican Republic and kept drinking until 4am, but even that seems unlikely.  If the family ate in the main dining room they could just ask the waiter how he appeared at dinner.   I'm sure they will sort it all out.

18 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Very sad. At some point this litigation will force active countermeasures on all ships. It won’t be long before suicide nets are deployed around the perimeter of the ship. What a horrible way to go between the onset of hypothermia and the hungry sharks. 

I don't think they'll ever install nets. It's still a very small percentage of people going overboard. Yes, 1 is too many, but I don't think nets are the answer. 

On 4/5/2024 at 10:11 AM, Momof4crazytocruise said:

So sad 😞 I am sure there will be a lawsuit if RC was serving this underage gentleman. I expect it will come out that the brother was purchasing for him though. I hate that Liberty has been tainted with this. She is a fantastic ship and having been on her 3 times, she's close to my heart. So unfortunate. 

His brother was 2 years younger than he was.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2024 at 9:41 AM, tonyfsu21 said:

#1 - I don't think they're ever going to install nets. While these incidents make news, I don't think suicide rates are any higher on cruise ships than anywhere else (in fact, they're probably lower). It's not a cruise ship problem. It's a mental health problem. 

#2 - Not to be morbid, but to be fair to our friends in the animal kingdom, my assumption is anyone jumping off a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean would probably drown. Sharks are out there, for sure, but they're not typically aggressively hunting humans. 

On 4/24/2024 at 1:22 PM, Doug_Texas said:

I have noticed that over time there are more and more areas of high glass on the ships.  It makes it difficult to see gorgeous scenery from the ships.  I don’t know if it’s because of passenger safety, wind, or both.

I wonder if those new bogus “infinity balconies” are a countermeasure?

I don't think so, most people don't jump from their own balcony, this kid couldn't have.  His balcony didn't have a clear path to water, just another balcony below it.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:05 AM, jeffmw said:

#2 - Not to be morbid, but to be fair to our friends in the animal kingdom, my assumption is anyone jumping off a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean would probably drown. Sharks are out there, for sure, but they're not typically aggressively hunting humans. 

The ship was going around 20 kn at the time he jumped from midship, he was most likely sucked under instantly.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:05 AM, jeffmw said:

#1 - I don't think they're ever going to install nets. While these incidents make news, I don't think suicide rates are any higher on cruise ships than anywhere else (in fact, they're probably lower). It's not a cruise ship problem. It's a mental health problem. 

# 2: I wouldn’t want to find out. They may drown and then get gobbled up by Nessie the 17’ great white who is looking for an easy snack. Either way, not a good outcome.