WONDERing How Cruise #2 Will Go - March 17-24, 2024

OCSC Mike

I can't believe i didn't see your blog until page 2! 

Driving to the port is the BEST, and that doesn't make a blog boring! I mean it certainly adds drama, but reading about travel to the port gives ME stress. 🤣

And i loved Capt Bob's! Have so much fun!

We used to cruise with the Mouse the same time every year, and we got close with several other families who also cruised the same week we did. One trip there was about 30 of us or so and one of my friends got Capt Bob to dedicate two of his boats, just for us. And she negotiated both boats have rum punch as well as beer, soda, and water. It was one of my favorite cruise memories! I miss those friends (we pretty much all abandoned the Mouse since, though we did manage one more cruise on Norwegian together a couple of years later). 

Looking forward to you getting aboard Sunday!

10 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Driving to the port is the BEST, and that doesn't make a blog boring!

I just meant I wouldn't have much to share during the week before.

11 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

And i loved Capt Bob's! Have so much fun!

One trip there was about 30 of us or so and one of my friends got Capt Bob to dedicate two of his boats, just for us. And she negotiated both boats have rum punch as well as beer, soda, and water.

That's great! When I was e-mailing Bob I asked about the rum I saw people mention in recent TripAdvisor reviews. He said they have it aboard now but nothing mixed (I guess it's rum & coke or shots). I'd prefer rum punch but not a big deal. In 2017 it was just beer and soft drinks. I still remember being tossed a can while floating in the ocean.

2 more days! Today's exciting updates...

Ummm... my wife's Spring Break started today so she's of course doing school work b/c teaching sucks and she wants to get as much done for post-break as she can. She mentioned gathering stuff to pack later today.

I have a little work to do; not much else planned. Packing doesn't involve very much prep for me. I'll just need to iron a few polos at some point (that's as dressy as I get).

Besides the cup holders (which I'm still not sure we need) I made one small Bezos purchase earlier this week. The little plastic waterproof thingy that holds cards and cash I've been using for years finally ceased to be waterproof so it has been replaced by a waterproof wallet of sorts. It's a little bigger so I won't have to cram in folded up cash along with sea passes and ID's when we do a water-based excursion but it's flat so I don't even think I'll notice it in the pocket of my swim trunks. It's also less likely to fall out while lying in a hammock like the old one did on CocoCay a few cruises back. Fortunately I thought to go back and look in the hammock and found it.

The FB page for this cruise continues to be unbearable. I woke up to a flame war between a woman whose 85 year-old father wanted to bring walkie-talkies b/c they don't want to pay for 7 people to have internet and he's concerned about losing touch with them. She was basically attacked by a guy telling her they are not permitted. I just don't get people. You have nothing better to do days before a cruise? Much like the guys who sat next to @Lovetocruise2002 and started fighting at that show... I don't even understand what they were fighting about. 🤷‍♂️ Other people were already sharing stories of travel shenanigans. There was a big snow storm in Colorado apparently and some people wound up driving to Texas to fly out of there. I also saw mention of tornadoes around Ohio. I'm definitely not Florida's biggest fan but I fully appreciate the one hour drive to PC.

Being the nerd that I am, I started checking to see if any ships might be joining us on CocoCay Monday that were previously scheduled to go to Labadee. I know a couple got switched to CocoCay later next week but I *think* we're still going to be there alone.

That's all I got for now. Reading back, there wasn't much reason to post all that, lol, but I feel the need to post something since I started this so early. 🙃

On 3/9/2024 at 1:50 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Mason Jar

We recently booked a B2B on Wonder but have to wait till Christmas 2025. We are all so excited to try the brunch and dinner at Mason Jar. The dinner menu reminds us of some of Portside BBQ offerings.  Look forward to following along. 

On 3/15/2024 at 3:18 PM, GatorCruiser said:

I didn’t , I will make sure to look for it. Thanks for the heads up! 

No problem. I can see the fire and smoke trail from my house if the sky is clear but it's not all that exciting (especially after the 100th launch). Still haven't seen one close up. There was one scheduled for like 12:30pm the day we boarded Wonder in June but it was scrubbed... we were pretty disappointed. Thought it would be cool to see from up on deck.

We are staying at Hilton garden inn cocoa beach. It’s right on the ocean. Modest Looking from the outside but beautiful inside. Evidently it’s been “amplified” at some point. I’d post pics of the pool area but it includes people in bathing suits and I don’t want to offend anyone’s sensibilities. So here’s a pic of the bar area. 

IMG_1240.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jax said:

We recently booked a B2B on Wonder but have to wait till Christmas 2025. We are all so excited to try the brunch and dinner at Mason Jar. The dinner menu reminds us of some of Portside BBQ offerings.  Look forward to following along. 

I have to say that Portside does bbq better. Everything else at Mason Jar was good but the brisket left a lot to be desired. Meanwhile I could eat Portside brisket for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

7 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have to say that Portside does bbq better. Everything else at Mason Jar was good but the brisket left a lot to be desired. Meanwhile I could eat Portside brisket for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

Since I've never had Portside nor MJ dinner, I'll let you guys fight it out.

I have heard some complaints about the BBQ at MJ (I see Gator posted his as I was typing this). We were going to try dinner but my wife doesn't really eat BBQ so she'd order the same savory stuff she does at brunch and I like the brunch items so much, it made sense for us to stick with brunch. The 40% off Black Friday sale on lunch/brunch didn't hurt either.

11 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Last time  we did wonder, we loved the brunch but not the dinner menu. I had the St Louis ribs which were meh. As a consequence, we won’t do dinner there again. Only brunch. 

Yes, I was actually slightly disappointed in the dinner menu because the ribs and brisket were meh.......not to mention those extremely vinegary greens. The shrimp and grits were also very disappointing. But I could brunch there all day, every day.

38 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Well boo, let’s hope that changes in the next 647 days. Lol. Portside BBQ was such a nice option especially for lunch. And yes, agreed their brisket is the best. 😋 

2 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i’m going to need a moment to recover that your wife — who is very particular about her food choices (which i fully understand) — eats a tuna poke bowl. 

WILD. 

That was @GatorCruiser's wife, lol. This is kind of a joint blog.

You'll love this part... my wife only eats one seafood item on the planet... tuna salad!

18 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

She'll eat BBQ sauce but only grilled chicken breast. No dark meat chicken, no ribs, no pork, no brisket... you get the idea.

Ok, maybe not #TeamMike'sWife! But Batman is! If I'm going BBQ, chicken is a waste! Give me dry rubbed ribs! But BBQ chicken is Batman's fave. 

Just now, SweetPea said:

Ok, maybe not #TeamMike'sWife! But Batman is! If I'm going BBQ, chicken is a waste! Give me dry rubbed ribs! But BBQ chicken is Batman's fave. 

I agree with the general avoidance of chicken sentiment. Nothing wrong with chicken... but everything else is better, lol.

49 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Ah, so you made a decision! Nice! 

Yes I did! 
Allure B2B this Christmas in a star loft and Wonder the following Christmas in a 2BR ATS.  I think I came close to driving Mindy crazy. LOL  I had so many holds, some with Royal and Celebrity. I was pleasantly surprised by Wonder pricing on a B2B; we all want to sail her so it was an easy decision.