Double C&A Points Given to 2 Year Old for Single Occupancy

Hello all.

This is my first post, long time reader, never posted before but appreciate the information you all provide.

I was hopeful anyone could help with a way to resolve my issue, as RC agents are telling me that they can't do anything...

Family of 3, 2 connecting rooms, booked as 1 adult, 1 child in room 1, then 1 adult in room 2.

I got 7 points, my wife got 7 points, my 2 year old son got the double points, 14, for single occupancy.

I keep telling them you cant book a child in a room alone, the system wont allow this, and he was not staying in the room himself, however the phone agents and email agents say that he was booked in the room alone, and as such he, and only he gets the double points.

Agents email response: "For Anthem of the Seas 27Mar2022 you did not sail as a single passenger as you sailed with your wife in the same room, 9227. Please find the cruise documents attached for your reference. Therefore, the points allocated for this cruise are correct."

I wouldn't care too much if i was Diamond already for example, however i'm currently Gold, sitting on 28, and should have 35 to be Platinum (and get discounts on balcony/suites for new bookings) but cannot get this because my son has been given MY double points.

Any suggestions what to do? and how to fight this?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried contacting the "Resolutions" department at Royal Caribbean?  Maybe they can help you.  Just call the regular phone number for Royal Caribbean and tell the representative who answers the phone that you need to speak with someone in "Resolutions".   I hope it works out for you. Good luck!

6 hours ago, andrewwilliamnewman said:

I keep telling them you cant book a child in a room alone, the system wont allow this

Without seeing the actual reservation, it is hard to tell you if your son was actually booked in the room alone. However, it is possible to book a minor in a room alone without an adult if the rooms are connecting. In fact, the rooms don't even have to be connecting. You can even book a minor in a room across the hall from you. We have done this before with our own family. So your scenario that you are describing definitely can happen.

Try contacting C&A by messaging them via their FB page. The couple of times I've needed something sorted that's what I've done and it's been dealt with in the space of 2-3 hours, plus it gives you a paper trail that you can refer back to if necessary.

Thanks for the replies. 
I did not know it was possible for children to have their own room, the website doesn’t allow this so I’m unsure how this occurred. 
I will contact the resolutions team and hopefully they can help. 
The most annoying this is I have 10+ upcoming booking over the next 2 years, so only being Gold, I’ve missed out on $1000 savings in total for the upcoming booking where if I was the next tier up, I would have saved $100 per sailing. 
Will see what resolutions have to say. 
Thanks all! 

5 hours ago, andrewwilliamnewman said:

Thanks for the replies. 
I did not know it was possible for children to have their own room, the website doesn’t allow this so I’m unsure how this occurred. 
The most annoying this is I have 10+ upcoming booking over the next 2 years, so only being Gold, I’ve missed out on $1000 savings in total for the upcoming booking where if I was the next tier up, I would have saved $100 per sailing. 
Thanks all! 

The “savings” they allege are not always there, and likely hardly there.  As a D+ I would look for my savings and it’s not all sailings, and they were scarce. Additionally if you book kids sail free you likely don’t get savings from your tier, they don”t usually stack savings

3 hours ago, twangster said:

For future reference always request copies of the Royal Caribbean booking invoice for all cruises and if any updates are made, changing cabins, price adjustments, etc., request a new copy of the booking invoice.

Even if the only change is opting to pre-pay gratuities if it wasn't included at the time of booking.

On 2/24/2024 at 3:37 AM, andrewwilliamnewman said:

Hello all.

This is my first post, long time reader, never posted before but appreciate the information you all provide.

I was hopeful anyone could help with a way to resolve my issue, as RC agents are telling me that they can't do anything...

Family of 3, 2 connecting rooms, booked as 1 adult, 1 child in room 1, then 1 adult in room 2.

I got 7 points, my wife got 7 points, my 2 year old son got the double points, 14, for single occupancy.

I keep telling them you cant book a child in a room alone, the system wont allow this, and he was not staying in the room himself, however the phone agents and email agents say that he was booked in the room alone, and as such he, and only he gets the double points.

Agents email response: "For Anthem of the Seas 27Mar2022 you did not sail as a single passenger as you sailed with your wife in the same room, 9227. Please find the cruise documents attached for your reference. Therefore, the points allocated for this cruise are correct."

I wouldn't care too much if i was Diamond already for example, however i'm currently Gold, sitting on 28, and should have 35 to be Platinum (and get discounts on balcony/suites for new bookings) but cannot get this because my son has been given MY double points.

Any suggestions what to do? and how to fight this?

Thanks in advance.

Are you, your wife, and child not connected as a family?  If you are, all 3 of you should have received the number of points received for the cruise that the one in the single room received ……. 14 ………. When you’re connected as a family you’d also all have the total nymber of points as the person in your family with the most points.

For instance, 2 years ago my spouse and son were in a balcony room, I was alone in the room next door.  Because we’re all connected as a family, we ALL went up 14 points after the cruise. Also, I’ve been on 5 cruises that my family hasn’t been on, but we all currently have 233 points.

9 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Are you, your wife, and child not connected as a family?  If you are, all 3 of you should have received the number of points received for the cruise that the one in the single room received ……. 14 ………. When you’re connected as a family you’d also all have the total nymber of points as the person in your family with the most points.

For instance, 2 years ago my spouse and son were in a balcony room, I was alone in the room next door.  Because we’re all connected as a family, we ALL went up 14 points after the cruise. Also, I’ve been on 5 cruises that my family hasn’t been on, but we all currently have 233 points.

If OP had 28 points before the cruise then a child earning 14 points from zero would not impact the relationship highest member counter unless the child also had 28 points before the cruise.  However given that the child is 2, it’s unlikely they have sailed enough in their short lifetime to be 28 points before the cruise.   A child can’t cruise before an age of 6 months so it’s a short window for a 2 yo child to earn 28 points.  

I’m also not sure a minor child’s counter can trump their parent’s counter.  A CAS relationship flows from parents to minor children.  I’ve never seen an example of a minor child having more points than their parents.  Possible I suppose, but it’s not clear Royal would let the child’s status dictate the parent’s status.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:51 PM, andrewwilliamnewman said:

Thanks for the replies. 
Thanks all! 

When you move up from Gold, yes you are eligible for discounts, but it's unlikely you will save any money on the cruises you have already booked.  In order to apply your new platinum discount, they would have to reprice the booking at the current rate and then apply your discount.  It's much more likely those cruises have increased by more than $100 since you booked them.  Sorry to say, but you will probably have to be happy with the extra on-board benefits of platinum.

On 2/24/2024 at 6:51 PM, andrewwilliamnewman said:

I did not know it was possible for children to have their own room

I was surprised by this as well, but learned kids can be in their own room, IF they are adjacent or connecting to adults in the other cabin.

Conclusion arrived at - Interestingly, kids of any age, as Matt said, can have a connecting cabin, and get the extra points.

I have been told in future to check who's in what cabin on the booking, as whoever is on the single cabin at time of final payment will be the one gaining the double C&A points. 

Annoyingly, our now 4 year old son has more C&A points than me now!

Thanks for the help on this one, appreciate the replies.

Conclusion arrived at - Interestingly, kids of any age, as Matt said, can have a connecting cabin, and get the extra points.

I have been told in future to check who's in what cabin on the booking, as whoever is on the single cabin at time of final payment will be the one gaining the double C&A points. 

Thanks for following up on the boards. We considered doing this but never booked our son in his own cabin; we went the Crown Loft route instead. However, it never occurred to me that if they end up with their own room, and mom and dad are booked in their own room, the kiddo will get double points. 

Our son is finishing his college freshman year, so these booking strategies don't matter anymore to us (maybe grandchildren in the future). Hubby and I went on our first empty nest cruise three weeks ago on Oasis. It was bitter-sweet. Time is a thief, parents. Take those kids with you when you can. In a blink, they will be gone.

Oooh, that's frustrating. 😕

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

Hubby and I went on our first empty nest cruise three weeks ago on Oasis. It was bitter-sweet. Time is a thief, parents. Take those kids with you when you can. In a blink, they will be gone.

I am feeling that in waves right now....from my own kids, to the memories of time gone by with my own family (parents & sisters).

sorry for the hijack

4 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Hubby and I went on our first empty nest cruise three weeks ago on Oasis. It was bitter-sweet. Time is a thief, parents. Take those kids with you when you can. In a blink, they will be gone.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am feeling that in waves right now....from my own kids, to the memories of time gone by with my own family (parents & sisters).

Me too! This topic could be it's own support thread...