Rooms

If this is what your question means:

I believe I do pay every time I book a cruise because I ALWAYS choose my room!  The “we pick your room” price seems to always be lower by several hundred dollars but I do not want a room Forward therefore I will pay the higher price in order to get what I want.  I also have never tried a Royal Up for that reason…perhaps I would IF I knew the room I was bidding on would NOT be in the Forward area!

10 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I believe I do pay every time I book a cruise because I ALWAYS choose my room!

Same here.  We always want to pick our own.  If we are on the deck beneath the pools, Windjammer, etc. we investigate the deck plans to see what's directly above us and we even see if we can find reviews of the specific cabin to know how noisy it might be.  The same would apply for what's next to or beneath us.

We usually pick our own cabin, as we have found the potential savings from doing a guaranteed cabin not to be worth giving up the option to pick our room. Having said that, we decided to "roll the dice" & try a guaranteed cabin for the first time when we sail on Symphony (JS) next summer since it will save us +/- $1K per person (+/- $2K in total).

Our first cruise in Feb '23 we selected our Ocean View Balcony, we wanted a lower deck and mid ship.

This time for our upcoming cruise in February again, we selected GTY Suite. It will most likely be a Junior Suite which means it'll be relatively mid ship. It may not be on the deck we would ideally like but the savings were €600pp (3 persons) than if we picked our own room. I'll be sure to post which room we get in the end and our experience once we're back.

1 minute ago, Newhouse of the Seas said:

We usually pick our own cabin, as we have found the potential savings from doing a guaranteed cabin not to be worth giving up the option to pick our room. Having said that, we decided to "roll the dice" & try a guaranteed cabin for the first time when we sail on Symphony (JS) next summer since it will save us +/- $1K per person (+/- $2K in total).

Wow! Nice savings there! Do you mind me asking what price you actually paid per person for the GTY?

We got a GTY Suite for €1000pp Inc grats on our next Oasis sailing.

Most people will pick their room. I prefer aft cabins so in most cases i pick my room. I have done the gty option twice. Once because that's what was left since I booked so close to sailing. And once for an upcoming cruise.

There are some factors for whether I would let them pick. It would have to be a shorter sailing, on a smaller class and at least  $400+ in savings.

We picked our room the last two times because they were balcony and neighborhood balcony rooms and we wanted to pick our location. Our next cruise is our first GTY room and it's just an Ocean view (no balcony) room...so honestly we don't mind where it is and it was almost 400 bucks cheaper. We will take our chance with it this time 

We pick our cabin(s) because we travel with our teens in a separate room and need to be next to their room (or could be across, but we like going back and forth using the balcony). However, we use a TA and get group rates that are lower than the pick-your-own directly on the RCI site, and usually comparable to the GTY cabin prices.

My parents are cruising with us in March and did a GTY oceanview first. They were assigned their room early in November. I learned their room number because I booked specialty dining using the app and I saw their room number next to their name (we have linked reservations). THEN, during the week of Thanksgiving, there was a one-day big price drop and the upgrade to a GTY oceanview balcony was only $60 total (not pp) more, so we ended up doing that for them. Same thing happened - when I went to book another specialty dining lunch in the planner, first I saw GTY for them but within a week, they had a room assignment in the reservation page of the planner. My TA reached out and said there were rooms on our floor and asked if we wanted to move them from 6th floor forward, where they had been assigned the second time, to 8th floor aft/mid where we are. So the GTY worked out really well for them. They are just two doors down from us and paid less than we did to pick our rooms. 

8 hours ago, scotty said:

Hi,just a quick question, has anyone else paid to pick a cabin ?

We always do.  We'd never go with a guarantee because the right location makes a big difference for us.  We've always used an agent or Next Cruise, and they have always explained the price differences among our choices.

We will usually pick our cabin but last year I found a great price for a GTY balcony on a TA cruise. Saved about $900/PP. We were happy with the cabin we were assigned. Did a GTY again this February and no problems with the cabin assigned again. For us the savings were worth it as we are usually ok with forward or aft cabin selections.