Earliest Boarding and Initial Activities

Hi all,

We will be going on Allure of the Seas on August 13, 2017.  We are Gold member of the Crown and Anchor Society.  What is the earliest that we can board the ship?  I keep hearing to be there at 10 am, but I thought that as a Crown and Anchor Society member, we can board early.  Is 10 am the early boarding?  Once on the ship, does anyone knows what amenities are available (pools, food/restaurants, arcade, etc.) for us and especially our kids?

Thanks,

Nearly everything will be open when you board; however, I wouldn't expect boarding to begin until at least 11 and possibly closer to noon. The benefit of arriving early is that once you're checked in, you'll be sent upstairs to board the ship. They usually start with suite guests, and then move their way down through the various C&A levels. Personally, I'd rather be there early and wait to board than arrive later and wait to check in. They also have a kids play structure in the waiting area to keep the kids entertained. 

I get there around 9am lol. We park and get our luggage loaded at the drop off and wait for security check in to open while we drink our coffee. I would rather be there excited and waiting to get on than anxiously pacing in a hotel room waiting for time to leave. We have gotten on board as early as 1045 before but that was on majesty and its a smaller ship. We were the very first ones on (after running past a slow little old lady). 

On the Allure in January, we were at the port before 10. My normal rule is between 10-11. In Europe, we aim for 12-1 as we usually sleep in because of the overnight flight or because we want to get some exploring done before boarding the ship.

3 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

I get there around 9am lol. We park and get our luggage loaded at the drop off and wait for security check in to open while we drink our coffee. I would rather be there excited and waiting to get on than anxiously pacing in a hotel room waiting for time to leave. We have gotten on board as early as 1045 before but that was on majesty and its a smaller ship. We were the very first ones on (after running past a slow little old lady). 

Couldn't agree more.  The only thing on my mind Sunday morning (after making sure I have my passes and all that) is to GET ON THE SHIP!  The sooner the better for me!

4 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

Haha. Sounds like us on our Feb '16 Allure sailing. Got there at 10:00 and we walked on with another couple first.  We always blow past the photographers.  We were sitting at the Solarium bar with drink in hand by 10:30! I will say that was the exception to be on THAT quickly.

19 hours ago, FManke said:

17 hours ago, FManke said:

That's sounds about what we were planning. Get to terminal around 10, if I can wait that long! 

Are you driving to the Boston terminal yourself, or getting a cab/shuttle?  We thought our cabbie was taking us to mafia headquarters.  Nope, just the terminal.  It's an old warehouse in which they plugged in a couple computers on some fold up tables.  Very cool once we weren't freaked out anymore, lol.

2 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

Are you driving to the Boston terminal yourself, or getting a cab/shuttle?  We thought our cabbie was taking us to mafia headquarters.  Nope, just the terminal.  It's an old warehouse in which they plugged in a couple computers on some fold up tables.  Very cool once we weren't freaked out anymore, lol.

The names is ominous, too. Black Falcon - sounds like the title of a mystery. 

14 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

That's disappointing. I heard it was "wicked awesome!" :10_wink:

Best advice I can give is to not bring to much on board with you...check it in and have it delivered to the room.

Nothing worse than trying to lug around 100 pounds of suitcase weight through the halls and into the windjammer with thousands of other people. I try not to bring anything on with me..makes for a much more enjoyable and relaxing first few hours on board...and provides some entertainment watching others trying to navigate around the pool deck with suitcases for hours...lol

It's a great time to get some nice pics of the different venues  on the ship as well before they become crowded and a good time to get a feel for the ship and where everything is. Also a great time to bond with a bartender when its not busy and make a friend for the week!

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Best advice I can give is to not bring to much on board with you...check it in and have it delivered to the room

Good point monctonguy!

To be honest, I cant really think of too many things that we would need before getting our luggage. I think my wife plans on bringing a backpack purse type of thing that we will use as a carry on for our flights and cruise. Should be plenty big enough to carry just the essentials, which shouldn't be much.

We are emerald and will be diamond after our next cruise.  But it never seemed to matter what level we were to be able to get onboard around 11.  We just try to be at the port around 10.

What our initial activities are depends on if we have sailed on the ship before.  First thing no matter what though is to grab a drink!  Our last cruise and first on the Harmony, we explored the ship before before most are onboard.  If we are familiar with the ship it's usually a drink, quick bite and the little one steers us to the pool. 

I'm going to disagree (a little) with monctonguy. When I cruise, I use two suitcases, one carry-on (which has wheels) and one mid-size suitcase.  When I get to the pier, I check the mid-size suitcase and take the carry-on and a backpack with me.  Prior to getting to the cruise terminal, I load up my carry-on with my suit, and any clothes I'm going to wear the first couple of days.  I've had suitcases delayed in the past, one time it took 3 days to catch up to me....so this way I have things to wear.  I've also had my suitcase arrive after I've gone to dinner the first night, and I need to look dapper the first night in the dining room, LOL!!!

16 minutes ago, Big Dawg Ron said:

I'm going to disagree (a little) with monctonguy. When I cruise, I use two suitcases, one carry-on (which has wheels) and one mid-size suitcase.  When I get to the pier, I check the mid-size suitcase and take the carry-on and a backpack with me.  Prior to getting to the cruise terminal, I load up my carry-on with my suit, and any clothes I'm going to wear the first couple of days.  I've had suitcases delayed in the past, one time it took 3 days to catch up to me....so this way I have things to wear.  I've also had my suitcase arrive after I've gone to dinner the first night, and I need to look dapper the first night in the dining room, LOL!!!

I'm with you on this one, Ron. I put my backpack over the handle of my carry-on suitcase and have all of my essentials with me: camera, swim suit, sunscreen, electronics, and a change of clothes in case the luggage doesn't make it. I'm also using the Away Tavel carry-on (mentioned in a blog post here: https://mycruisecourse.wordpress.com/2017/06/13/embarkation-day/) that has a built in battery so I can keep my devices charged on boarding day. Helpful when posting to social media, scoping, etc.).

To each their own...I also don't fly with a carry on.....its a risk to take but I hate dragging stuff around or afraid I will put it down and forget about it. Makes for a much quicker and smoother process when flying to say the least.

Same for me on the boat....I am there to drink, enjoy the pool and make the most of the first day that I paid for.......while I can understand some maybe wary of checking it all in.....all I can say is that I have done 10 cruises and about 20 trips south and have yet to have lost or had anything delayed...could it happen? Sure, but then again you could die on the flight as well so really, life is full of risks..lol.

I may be the extreme case of packing light and not dragging things around....but I have seen families ......and singles for that matter looking miserable and hot and sweaty for hours pulling stuff around the ship...to each their own. But please don't take up extra seats in the windjammer cause u choose to carry ALL your luggage with you..or take extra seats on the pool deck either...

Cramming suits and clothes into your carry on to look dapper in the dining room the first night...not sure how dapper that suit would look crammed in your carry on.....if your worried about your suit case taking 3 days to get to your room you should really double pack everything just in case.....:34_rolling_eyes:........that is not the norm I am sure.

11 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

But please don't take up extra seats in the windjammer cause u choose to carry ALL your luggage with you..or take extra seats on the pool deck either...

I couldn't agree more. I'm all for everybody doing what they want as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights or space.

I will take the risk and if my luggage doesn't arrive in time for dinner and I have to go looking like a heathen in a Polo shirt and Dockers. :10_wink:

11 minutes ago, FManke said:

I couldn't agree more. I'm all for everybody doing what they want as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights or space.

I will take the risk and if my luggage doesn't arrive in time for dinner and I have to go looking like a heathen in a Polo shirt and Dockers. :10_wink:

So, were you that funky smelling dude the first night in the MDR on the Serenade this past March? 

3 minutes ago, rjac said:

So, were you that funky smelling dude the first night in the MDR on the Serenade this past March? 

As this will be my first cruise, I have to disappoint you and say no. But, I might be the one this Oct. Just in case, I'll make sure to pack some shorts and a t-shirt in my carry on.

I always take a carry-on with me with extra clothes on the ship. I was on a cruise once, and a passengers luggage never made it on the ship. He only had the clothes he was wearing which made for a very long week. Every couple days, he'd send his clothes to the cleaners to get washed. When he did that he had to sit in his room until they were clean, so he missed out on a lot of activities.  He finally got his luggage on the last port stop. I just about ruined his whole trip. 

Here's a good argument for carry-on luggage. On one of our sailings (either Liberty or Jewel), the only table we could find was a table for 2 for the 3 of us. However, because my wife uses a Zuca as a carry-on, which has a weight capacity of 300 pounds and a padded top, we were able to use that as a third seat to make use of that for a third seat.

@monctonguy I get it and have only once had an issue with luggage while boarding, but you are the opposite of every travel writer I've read. They all recommend only using a carry-on piece of luggage; you're the complete opposite: pack and check everything. ;) I do get it, though. You're unencumbered and can get on with your vacation without the hassle of the carry-on.

4 hours ago, FManke said:

As this will be my first cruise, I have to disappoint you and say no. But, I might be the one this Oct. Just in case, I'll make sure to pack some shorts and a t-shirt in my carry on.

Do whaaaaat????

As I did for JL, I must bow to you and give you sincere props for having nearly 900 posts, never having sailed before!!!!

Image result for clapping gif

4 minutes ago, Floski said:

Just what is the fascination and desire to hit up the Win-jamm-ehr when one first walks onboard?

With all of the ridiculous sights and other eateries/drinkeries on board, I just can't understand the phenomenon.

Kind of like going to Charleston, SC.  "The fascination and desire to hit up the fast food restaurants before you get into the downtown (historic) district. With all of the fantastic sights and other eateries/drinkeries there, I can understand the phenomenon."  I think it all has to do with comfort level and knowledge. Most cruisers have heard/know about the Windjammer and are comfortable with the multi choice buffet, especially if they have children with them and or have traveled far that morning before getting on the ship. For the experienced cruisers, the WJ is probably a last resort as they will seek out other lunch venues for a meal. I consider a couple of Bloody Mary''s a perfect lo-cal lunch substitute!

By the way, we LOVE Charleston and usually stop there for a few days in the historic district on our way home from a cruise out of Florida. :27_sunglasses:

1 hour ago, Floski said:

Just what is the fascination and desire to hit up the Win-jamm-ehr when one first walks onboard?

With all of the ridiculous sights and other eateries/drinkeries on board, I just can't understand the phenomenon.

In some ships, the WJ is really the only option. If you're on a Radiance class ship or smaller, the WJ is it for a full lunch. The only other option might be a very limited selection in the Solarium. On the bigger ships, we either stay in the Royal Promenade or head to one of the specialty restaurants in order to about the crowds. 

21 hours ago, Floski said:

Do whaaaaat????

As I did for JL, I must bow to you and give you sincere props for having nearly 900 posts, never having sailed before!!!!

Image result for clapping gif

Thank you!

I know you can't see me, but I'm taking a bow right now myself! When I do things, I tend to do them to the fullest and often over do them. 

This explains all my posts, obsessive over planning and the reason I don't drink anymore.

18 hours ago, DocLC said:

The only other option might be a very limited selection in the Solarium. 

We are actually considering this option. A quiet table near the window, avoiding the crowds for at least the first few hours. This actually sounds very appealing to us. We might start there with a light snack and then grab a later lunch in the WJ. MDR dinner reservations not until 7pm.

1 minute ago, FManke said:

We are actually considering this option. A quiet table near the window, avoiding the crowds for at least the first few hours. This actually sounds very appealing to us. We might start there with a light snack and then grab a later lunch in the WJ. MDR dinner reservations not until 7pm.

If you're fine with a limited selection, you'll find this to be much less chaotic. They often have a salad bar, too. For dessert, you could head to Cafe Lattetudes. While the drinks costs money, the food in the case is complimentary.

19 hours ago, rjac said:

I consider a couple of Bloody Mary''s a perfect lo-cal lunch substitute!

Don't forget the extra olives! That should hold you over.

Speaking of olives, do they carry any other stuffed olives on board, besides the usual? Blue cheese perhaps? :15_yum:

1 minute ago, DocLC said:

If you're fine with a limited selection, you'll find this to be much less chaotic. They often have a salad bar, too. For dessert, you could head to Cafe Lattetudes. While the drinks costs money, the food in the case is complimentary.

I think I'll take the limited menu over the "cattle drive" I've heard the WJ can be first thing. And we have the beverage plan, so as far as the drinks at Café Latte-tudes goes, we're covered! 

We always dress for MDR when we board.

Carry ons?  Always for us - 3 reasons - toiletries, hot tub flexibility,  and wine.

First activity is fruity drink of the day by the pool.  A tradition.  

Heavy sigh - 163 days until our anniversary cruise on the Oasis OTS.