GTY Rooms

Ed MacLean

12 minutes ago, Ed MacLean said:

Hi Matt, I’m hearing rumours that RCL is cancelling people’s cruises that have chosen a GTY room. RCL is telling them that the cruise is full and their cruise is canceled. 

This was a one time, very freak thing- it's not the norm, and we don't even know that it had anything to do with the passengers having GTY rooms. Don't let that deter you from reserving a GTY room if that is what you are looking at. I actually have my first GTY room booked for July, and have no worries at all about being cancelled. 

38 minutes ago, Ed MacLean said:

Hi Matt, I’m hearing rumours that RCL is cancelling people’s cruises that have chosen a GTY room. RCL is telling them that the cruise is full and their cruise is canceled. 

Personally after this BS, it was 12 people, I will never book a guarantee again and we had a great experience booking our first on Liberty a few months ago. Royal Caribbean created this doubt, its there fault. I want the full story but this really, really bothers me. 

13 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Personally after this BS, it was 12 people, I will never book a guarantee again and we had a great experience booking our first on Liberty a few months ago. Royal Caribbean created this doubt, its there fault. I want the full story but this really, really bothers me. 

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I'm by no means trying to convince you otherwise.

Just realize how many thousands and thousands of GTY cabins Royal sells over the course of a year across the fleet. Incidents like this are VERY rare.

There were a lot of circumstances involved in the cancelation of that gty. They didn't even have a room assigned. If it's a week before my cruise I would have called or had my TA do some leg work. There is no way I would have flown, etc without something assigned. At least a muster station in the setsail pass. I believe they have to assign the room before the manifest closes. That's 48hrs before sailing.

That being said I will continue to book gty. I booked it for an upcoming sailing. When I checked in I was able to do the barcode trick and see my room. It hasn't been "officially " assigned but it is in an ideal location for most people.....its by an elevator right between forward and middle. Personally I prefer aft cabins but it was almost $400 cheap and the current cost for a balcony is almost double.

When I book a cruise, booked and paid for, whether it's a suite, inside, balcony or GTY balcony I don't want to hear it's rare to be bumped. I want to hear it can't and will not ever happen that you get "bumped". Most only get one change a year to have vacation. This is completely Royal Caribbean fault for even introducing this doubt. 

This is just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Xaa said:

That'll show them, fill the ship with higher fares!

Well I wouldn't put it past Royal Caribbean especially this new CEO to do something like this to scare off guarantee cabins. We have to face the fact this is not the old Royal Caribbean with Richard Fain. This CEO Jason Liberty's Royal Caribbean. 

34 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Well I wouldn't put it past Royal Caribbean especially this new CEO to do something like this to scare off guarantee cabins. We have to face the fact this is not the old Royal Caribbean with Richard Fain. This CEO Jason Liberty's Royal Caribbean. 

Good thought.  Do you think they'll confiscate my tin foil hat on boarding?

It really could just be that an emergency situation arose on Quantum recently and there is nothing more to it.  

Just now, Xaa said:

Good thought.  Do you think they'll confiscate my tin foil hat on boarding?

It really could just be that an emergency situation arose on Quantum recently and there is nothing more to it.  

Yeah just like it could just be for this sailing Diamond isn't allowed in the diamond club at certain times of the day. Now it's the norm. Call it a conspiracy all you want but Royal does some funky things. If it is just an emergency of some kind they need to come out and explain it very clearly. This is bad business, period. 

It's bad, on that we can agree.  We don't agree that this one off was a calculated business decision instead of an unforseen issue forcing a very difficult decision. 

I get that you can't trust RCI to put the guest ahead of the dollar.  Actually you can always trust them to put the dollar first.  This one though is a stretch example.

They could simply not offer GTY if they wanted you to not book them.  That would be way easier than a PR disaster seemingly intended, in your mind, to drive distrust in the GTY offering. 

1 minute ago, Xaa said:

It's bad, on that we can agree.  We don't agree that this one off was a calculated business decision instead of an unforseen issue forcing a very difficult decision. 

I get that you can't trust RCI to put the guest ahead of the dollar.  Actually you can always trust them to put the dollar first.  This one though is a stretch example.

They could simply not offer GTY if they wanted you to not book them.  That would be way easier than a PR disaster seemingly intended, in your mind, to drive distrust in the GTY offering. 

Yeah I'm not saying it was a calculated business move but I wouldn't exactly be surprised either. I don't like this new CEO in the least. Richard Fain cared about Royal Caribbean and pushing boundaries. He loved building new innovative ships. This guy only cares about raising prices in any way that he can. 

6 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

When I book a cruise, booked and paid for, whether it's a suite, inside, balcony or GTY balcony I don't want to hear it's rare to be bumped. I want to hear it can't and will not ever happen that you get "bumped". Most only get one change a year to have vacation. This is completely Royal Caribbean fault for even introducing this doubt. 

This is just my opinion. 

No one can ever promise that bumping can't happen.  It happens with airlines.  It happens with hotels.  It happens with cruises. I'm sure I could go on.  There is no system that is perfect.

18 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

No one can ever promise that bumping can't happen.  It happens with airlines.  It happens with hotels.  It happens with cruises. I'm sure I could go on.  There is no system that is perfect.

I have never heard of this being a possibility. It does not mention that you can be bumped. That's a bunch of BS. This isn't a airline where there are a bunch that you can just switch to. This is a cruise vacation, you can't just say ok I'll just take Carnival. And if this is a possibility then they need to stop calling it a guarantee. 

35 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Not the same thing at all. If a plane is oversold there are 20 more that day. It's just not a realistic comparison. And it should not happen. You take my money, you give me a cabin. 

Has anyone actually read the fine print with a GTY? Is it any different to that of a full price cabin with regards to cancelling or bumping you off?

One would have every reason to believe, though, that a guarantee means you're guaranteed a room on the ship at the least. 

I'm guessing that it's always a possibility, even for a selected cabin, that if there was an unforseen event like damage or flooding to a specific room and the sailing is sold out that if you selected the cabin which is now out of order then you could be bumped off too...down to bad luck...

4 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Not the same thing at all. If a plane is oversold there are 20 more that day. It's just not a realistic comparison. And it should not happen. You take my money, you give me a cabin. 

Let's ignore the GTY side of this and imagine a ship where every cabin has been booked outright.  If a sewage pipe burst and flooded your cabin with human waste, would you honestly prefer to sail in that cabin or be bumped?  Let's say they hold back 5 cabins to cover possibilities like this but that sewage pipe flooded 6 cabins.  What should they do?  As much as it sucks, there ARE reasons to bump people.  It's easy to say it shouldn't happen but it's totally unrealistic to believe that any company can prevent all possible problems.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Let's ignore the GTY side of this and imagine a ship where every cabin has been booked outright.  If a sewage pipe burst and flooded your cabin with human waste, would you honestly prefer to sail in that cabin or be bumped?  Let's say they hold back 5 cabins to cover possibilities like this but that sewage pipe flooded 6 cabins.  What should they do?  As much as it sucks, there ARE reasons to bump people.  It's easy to say it shouldn't happen but it's totally unrealistic to believe that any company can prevent all possible problems.

You were comparing it to airlines and hotels. That's a deliberate form of overbooking done specifically. No the example you stated above would be the exception to the rule.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

But they didn't say that. You are speculating. Until we know why and quite frankly it should have been in the cold letter they gave them why. I guess we may never know why unless one of the YouTube cruise channels actually does some digging. 

3 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

But they didn't say that. You are speculating. Until we know why and quite frankly it should have been in the cold letter they gave them why. I guess we may never know why unless one of the YouTube cruise channels actually does some digging. 

I am Australian and have previous cruise buddies on that cruise. They are aware of a number of cabins on deck 3 being used to isolate sick crew. There have been a lot of reports of both Covid and influenza on the last couple of Quantum cruises.

7 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'm giving one example.  There's plenty more examples in this thread.  You seem to believe companies owe you 100% transparency on all issues whether you are personally affected or not.  That's just not how the world works.  I don't believe there is a company anywhere that would meet your expectations.