Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm personally fine with there being smoking sections.  I'm fine with the way things are today.  I often walk on "that side" of the pool deck and say to myself, "ugh, why didn't I walk on the other si

I will defend your right to smoke, as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights not to inhale second hand smoke. Truth be told, I wouldn't cruise on a ship that allowed karaoke through out the ship! I

Everything is so politically correct these days.....more so here in Canada than the USA but.....   To ban smoking on balconies for the sake of fire?!.....how many cruises happen each year wi

Posted Images

Where did you hear this  "rumor"? Another board or site or?

 

I hope not.....if they do, would be interesting to see how much it hurts/affects business.

 

If you are a smoker and stay at a non-smoking hotel or resort or eat at a smoke free restaurant, there are still places you can go to have a smoke. On a cruise, not so much....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Where did you hear this  "rumor"? Another board or site or?

 

I hope not.....if they do, would be interesting to see how much it hurts/affects business.

 

If you are a smoker and stay at a non-smoking hotel or resort or eat at a smoke free restaurant, there are still places you can go to have a smoke. On a cruise, not so much....

It was on Royal's Crown and Anchor Facebook page. I think it will hurt their business....there are still smokers out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think any cruise line is 100% smoke-free.  Even Celebrity, which is known for its "no smoking policy" still have a very limited area for smokers onboard.  IMO a line would be foolish to ever try and go 100% smoke free.  There are just too many customers (particularly in Asia) where smoking is prevalent.  I don't think they would shoot themselves in the foot like that, but you never know !!

Royal has been "experimenting" with smoke-free casinos in the last couple of years so they may be hoping to go smoke-free in the casino but that's about all I have "heard" on the subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems speculative for sure.  

That in mind none of us have the market research or data to know how it would affect business.  How many wouldn't book if an entire ship went no-smoking vs how many would book specifically because of it? Remember, if any line were to do this they could restrict it to a specific ship positioned where it would be seen favorably by the masses.

Carnival unsucessfully did this with the Paradise, but that was a long time ago.

See the non-smoking sign on the prow in the pic?  Also, bonus awesomeness to anyone (except @Matt) who can tell me where this pic can be found.  The location has been discussed.

 

paradise.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, monorailmedic said:

How many wouldn't book if an entire ship went no-smoking vs how many would book specifically because of it?

As a non-smoker, I would book a cruise if it was all non-smoking and conversely would not book a cruise if it had open smoking throughout the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Geema said:

My husband and I would not book on a non-smoking ship.

 

1 minute ago, FManke said:

As a non-smoker, I would book a cruise if it was all non-smoking and conversely would not book a cruise if it had open smoking throughout the ship.

 

Didn't mean to start a survey :-)
It does point out though, you'll find people on both sides of the issue, so like any other decision any business makes, it's about how many they win vs how many they lose - no decision is universally popular (not even price drops).

I suspect a business like a cruise line would want to test more granualarly first (non-smoking casinos, smaller smoking areas, etc) *or* do significant customer surveying (and maybe they have) on the issue before trying this on an entire ship.  Either way it's a gamble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest toodle68

I really comes down to where people are allowed to smoke. I really dislike that the casino is a smoke zone and we avoid it like the plague. There is an area on the pool deck which allows smoking and depending on the wind, you can be several feet away and get still get that smell blown over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, tkltomp said:

I don't smoke but I don't mind smoking sections.  Live and let live.

However, there are reasons cruise lines fear smokers, and its another case of idiots ruining it for everybody.

 

princess.jpg

This is/was the Star Princess. It was speculated that a cigarette thrown from an upper balcony MAY have started the fire. If memory serves, there were other issues as well with the furniture and this is another reason why the cruise lines don't want anything left on the balcony.

As @monorailmedic has stated, a smoke-free ship has been tried and it failed. Had it worked, we'd see more smoke-free ships. And given that approximately 20% of the population smokes and that 80% of people have never cruised, I don't think any of the cruise lines, which are growth businesses, are willing to cut out any portion of the market at this time unless they can ensure a large increase in passengers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DocLC said:

This is/was the Star Princess. It was speculated that a cigarette thrown from an upper balcony MAY have started the fire. If memory serves, there were other issues as well with the furniture and this is another reason why the cruise lines don't want anything left on the balcony.

As @monorailmedic has stated, a smoke-free ship has been tried and it failed. Had it worked, we'd see more smoke-free ships. And given that approximately 20% of the population smokes and that 80% of people have never cruised, I don't think any of the cruise lines, which are growth businesses, are willing to cut out any portion of the market at this time unless they can ensure a large increase in passengers.

Probably right, though I'd also bet that the segment of the population which cruises is not divided up the same in terms of smokers/non-smokers compared to the general population.  About 16% of the US smokes (per CDC) and non-smokers are disproporitonately college-educated and earn higher wages, so we can speculate that fewer than 16% of cruisers smoke.

There is no real point to the above - I just started checking some stats on this b/c I'm a dork.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, monorailmedic said:

Probably right, though I'd also bet that the segment of the population which cruises is not divided up the same in terms of smokers/non-smokers compared to the general population.  About 16% of the US smokes (per CDC) and non-smokers are disproporitonately college-educated and earn higher wages, so we can speculate that fewer than 16% of cruisers smoke.

There is no real point to the above - I just started checking some stats on this b/c I'm a dork.

Utah also tends to have the lowest percentage of smokers.  I went with the 20% given that there's a small contingent of international guests onboard. I actually did a lot of research related to smoking in grad school, so I could bore you with all kinds of statistics. I also think the CDC numbers are a bit low as there are a number of "recreational smokers" who don't identify themselves as smokers. 

I think the smoking issue has become more of an issue because smokers are much more restricted to where they can smoke. As a result, it's becoming more noticeable (e.g., in the casino) as that's where a lot of smokers congregate as it's one of maybe two or three places where they can actually smoke. This did pose a problem on our recent Princess cruise, though, as we needed to avoid the forward stairwell as smoke drifted up several decks from the casino (bad ship design) but it wasn't a problem anywhere else onboard. 

Before smoking was banned in cabins, we had a horrible experience on Holland America because the room smelled terribly of smoke, particular in the bathroom. They had to run various air cleaning equipment and replace some of the soft goods to just make the room tolerable. 

I guess the point of my rambling is that there's no solution that will make everyone happy and that it may not be as bad as some imagine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DocLC said:

Utah also tends to have the lowest percentage of smokers.  I went with the 20% given that there's a small contingent of international guests onboard. I actually did a lot of research related to smoking in grad school, so I could bore you with all kinds of statistics. I also think the CDC numbers are a bit low as there are a number of "recreational smokers" who don't identify themselves as smokers. 

I think the smoking issue has become more of an issue because smokers are much more restricted to where they can smoke. As a result, it's becoming more noticeable (e.g., in the casino) as that's where a lot of smokers congregate as it's one of maybe two or three places where they can actually smoke. This did pose a problem on our recent Princess cruise, though, as we needed to avoid the forward stairwell as smoke drifted up several decks from the casino (bad ship design) but it wasn't a problem anywhere else onboard. 

Before smoking was banned in cabins, we had a horrible experience on Holland America because the room smelled terribly of smoke, particular in the bathroom. They had to run various air cleaning equipment and replace some of the soft goods to just make the room tolerable. 

I guess the point of my rambling is that there's no solution that will make everyone happy and that it may not be as bad as some imagine. 

True, you cant please everybody but a little common courtesy on all sides goes a long way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is so politically correct these days.....more so here in Canada than the USA but.....

 

To ban smoking on balconies for the sake of fire?!.....how many cruises happen each year with how many balconies and how many fires happen??...Then some people will say 1 fire is too much. Well ok then, if one plane ever crashes that is too much so lets ban flying......lol If one person ever jumps off a balcony and commits suicide, lets fence in every balcony.....

 

Come on....if its someone right to smoke, its someone's right to not smoke...and the issue with breathing second hand smoke well I am guessing what the ship spews out of its smokestack is worse...so lets ban that as well.

 

People are so NOT tolerant these days it blows my mind...and I am only 40 yrs old. I remember when society was MUCH more tolerant of everyone in every aspect. Think back to even 10 years ago or so when smoking was everywhere, inside and outside. To have to pass by a few smokers for 15 seconds of your day outside on the pool deck is really not the end of the world.

 

I have said though that one way to keep 99% of everyone happy, would be to have a smoking AND a non-smoking casino on the ship(or enclose half of the current casino or whatever)......I am sure the cruise lines could afford and it may even encourage more gambling at the end of the day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

To ban smoking on balconies for the sake of fire?!.....how many cruises happen each year with how many balconies and how many fires happen??...Then some people will say 1 fire is too much. Well ok then, if one plane ever crashes that is too much so lets ban flying......lol If one person ever jumps off a balcony and commits suicide, lets fence in every balcony.....

Yep! What do you do with the cigarette after you're done?  Throw it off the balcony, of course.  This is 1) illegal, it's littering into the ocean and 2) very dangerous.

I hear you saying, "very dangerous you say?  Come on, it's a cigarette."  Yes.  Very dangerous.  Why?  Because it blows off the ship and then back on the ship. Blows onto a balcony where it lands on the balcony and starts a fire.  Or it blows into an open door and now it's really bad.  That cabin is now on fire.  What if someone is sleeping in there?  

Plus it smells disgusting.  I can smell it while I sit on my balcony.  Smoke makes me physically ill.  I get headaches.

If you think this is PC, I'm not sure what PC means then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

ash trays.....butt buckets....lots of options...I don't throw them off my back deck at home or out the  window when driving....never had a fire yet.. and I have done 10 cruises so far and never thrown ONE overboard yet...so don't lump me in with all the others that you assume throw them away.

 

You cant ban stupid......throwing garbage over the railing is illegal too but some will still do it....so should we ban people from having a balcony rooms on cruises?

 

As for the smell on balconies, I get that...perhaps one side of the ship could be smoking and one side not?.....I think there are options and solutions, rather than to just ban things...

 

Its like the drink package issue...cause 1% of the users abuse it, the other 99% who don't will now be subject to have to buying it for everyone in the cabin over 21....not fair to punish the masses for the actions of a few.....imagine if society ran like that in any area of law or regulations or morals????!!!....."we cant control the 1% that break the laws and make it miserable for others....so lets just make everyone have to do/not do it"

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

ash trays.....butt buckets....lots of options...I don't throw them off my back deck at home or out the  window when driving....never had a fire yet.. and I have done 10 cruises so far and never thrown ONE overboard yet...so don't lump me in with all the others that you assume throw them away.

I definitely wasn't assuming you did or would.  I meant "you" in the general sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

ash trays.....butt buckets....lots of options...I don't throw them off my back deck at home or out the  window when driving....never had a fire yet.. and I have done 10 cruises so far and never thrown ONE overboard yet...so don't lump me in with all the others that you assume throw them away.

I thank you for that!

It is true that I have seen my fair share of people throwing cigarette butts out of the car window, as I'm sure you have. Both of my in-laws smoke and think nothing of doing this, but would never consider throwing a candy wrapper or empty pop can out of the window. Why is that? Because at least in their minds that's not littering. 

This doesn't make sense to me, but I don't know if it's because I'm a non-smoker or not.

Littering is littering, whether it is a cigarette butt, candy wrapper or set of old car tires. It's bad for the environment and nature and shouldn't happen.

I blame the smokers that do and all the non-smokers that do!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...