Brilliant cruise but…

Nikkoo2

We have just had a brilliant back to back cruise and really enjoyed it. Crew were outstanding, food was great… but a couple of bits have annoyed me and it’s more Royal than the ship or the cruise!

We had a port cancelled due to “weather” 5 days before we were due there… is this normal?

No compensation was offered for this, even though ships missing Canaveral port got a whole days cruising refunded…

We did not get the port fees back while others did…

One excursion was also cancelled at another port and they offered 15% off another but they were all DOUBLE the price at least from when we booked a year ago

Is it worth complaining to RCCL?

Like I said we had a wonderful cruise but I feel Royal should be better than this.

You asked about ports being canceled several days in advance due to weather.  This is unusual. 

We've had a bunch of hurricanes recently.  Is that the weather issue or was it something else?

Keep in mind hurricanes are a huge deal. Depending on the circumstances,  it can take days to move the ship around them. Even if Royal  wanted to visit a port during a hurricane,  there's a good chance the port would be closed. 

Absolutely nothing abnormal about your experiences

Weather cancellations can occur days in advance, due to weather predictions and timing to reach the destination or sail around weather (this is especially true during hurricane season)

Refunds for missed ports are a 50/50 proposition at best. Those that were refunded for the Canaveral missed stop were probably given the consideration because the reason was mechanical difficulty with the ship, not an "act of God". Port taxes and fees are rarely refunded due to the constant fluctuation of these fees, what you paid is probably less than what the ship was charged for the journey, so they will keep these fees to offset the difference.

52 minutes ago, Nikkoo2 said:

They just said a rain storm. When we did move we had 21’ waves and you could hardly feel it. Weather forecasting for such a reaction can’t be that good 5 days out can it?

21' foot waves are huge waves. While the ship itself would handle them easily, that'd cause many on board to get seasick and cause a lot of nuisance issues in various venues.

You had a great cruise.  A port they couldn't go to was canceled.  An excursion was canceled for which you received a full refund and a discount if you chose another.

What's the gripe?  You want more than 100% plus 15% coupon refund for the excursion?

You want them to sail into bad weather  or overly rough seas caused by weather?

I don't think you should complain.   You really have no  complaints. 

I’ve had a port cancelled even though the weather was beautiful! There were some swells, but not enough to really feel it aboard ship.
However, the port was shallow enough that the swell effect coming into the harbor made the risk of hitting bottom too high. Either the port authorities, or the ship, or both decided to not make the attempt.

I don’t recall ever having port fees not refunded after a port was cancelled…but, I think there were two cruises where we had to stay overnight in a port to let a storm pass and that caused us to miss the next port. We didn’t get the missed port refunded because we had to pay fees for the extra day at the overnight port. So it balanced out.

The only times I’ve seen weather cancellations five days out is if there was a massive storm on a very predictable track. Not just hurricanes or tropical storms. Sometimes the port itself issues cancellations in expectation of a weather event.

Any pre-purchased excursions that are cancelled should result in a refund back to the original form of purchase…credit card. I agree that a percentage off a much more expensive excursion seems unfair, but it’s something.

Glad the rest of the cruise was brilliant! Hope you continue cruising and have wonderful experiences.

I believe that this particular storm, which caused the advance cancellation of Ketchikan, was similar to what a tropical storm/hurricane formation would be in the Caribbean. I'm not a weather person, and I know this was in Alaska waters - the point being that it was a storm that was building for days and that they could track going right into their route. It was a huge swirling formation, not a normal rainstorm. They stayed in safe waters and left to arrive after the worst of the storm. 

I was on Quantum a couple of weeks earlier when we had 16' waves and incredibly strong winds and many, many people were uncomfortable.

In the case of Port Canaveral there have been some changes due to propulsion issues which are within the responsibility of the cruise line.  Weather related changes are beyond the control of the cruise lines. 

The cruise contract has enough verbiage to cover them in both situations but sometimes they do offer something when the change is not at the fault of an act of nature. 

Port fees and taxes are estimated based on historical booking data.  Sometimes they estimate high and sometimes they estimate low.  Sometimes there is excess money available to reimburse and sometimes, despite the change of plans, there is not.  Some ports don't waive all fees when a ship doesn't make the port, it depends.  Some fees are related to manpower on shore to handle the lines and gangways while other fees are related to port pilot charges and dock fees.  They can all have different terms and conditions.  A bargaining until for a group of longshoreman may still impose a fee or partial fee when a ship cancels at the last minute while a port pilot may not.  It's not so simple to say a port has one fee that covers everything.  Each situation is unique so what occurred for another ship on a different day or another cruise line with different contracts can't always be used to set expectations.

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

I’ve had a port cancelled even though the weather was beautiful! There were some swells, but not enough to really feel it aboard ship.
However, the port was shallow enough that the swell effect coming into the harbor made the risk of hitting bottom too high. Either the port authorities, or the ship, or both decided to not make the attempt.

I don’t recall ever having port fees not refunded after a port was cancelled…but, I think there were two cruises where we had to stay overnight in a port to let a storm pass and that caused us to miss the next port. We didn’t get the missed port refunded because we had to pay fees for the extra day at the overnight port. So it balanced out.

The only times I’ve seen weather cancellations five days out is if there was a massive storm on a very predictable track. Not just hurricanes or tropical storms. Sometimes the port itself issues cancellations in expectation of a weather event.

Any pre-purchased excursions that are cancelled should result in a refund back to the original form of purchase…credit card. I agree that a percentage off a much more expensive excursion seems unfair, but it’s something.

Glad the rest of the cruise was brilliant! Hope you continue cruising and have wonderful experiences.

Well… I don’t believe that such decisions should be made 5 days out as things change. We dropped anchor 300 meters from Seattle dock so could not even enjoy Seattle…

Something else to add… NCL docked 2 smaller ships in our cancelled port that day. 

I just feel their new weather man is overly cautious. 

3 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

No basis for a complaint. Avoiding a port due to the potential for horrendous weather is great situational awareness on the part of the company and the ships captain. As for compensation, I wish you good luck because it’s going to be an uphill battle. 

Bit of a kick in the teeth when the email that tells you of the issue says “don’t worry we are faster than the storm and can go around it to keep you safe” then you sit anchored off of a perfectly good city for 60 hours…

1 hour ago, twangster said:

In the case of Port Canaveral there have been some changes due to propulsion issues which are within the responsibility of the cruise line.  Weather related changes are beyond the control of the cruise lines. 

The cruise contract has enough verbiage to cover them in both situations but sometimes they do offer something when the change is not at the fault of an act of nature. 

Port fees and taxes are estimated based on historical booking data.  Sometimes they estimate high and sometimes they estimate low.  Sometimes there is excess money available to reimburse and sometimes, despite the change of plans, there is not.  Some ports don't waive all fees when a ship doesn't make the port, it depends.  Some fees are related to manpower on shore to handle the lines and gangways while other fees are related to port pilot charges and dock fees.  They can all have different terms and conditions.  A bargaining until for a group of longshoreman may still impose a fee or partial fee when a ship cancels at the last minute while a port pilot may not.  It's not so simple to say a port has one fee that covers everything.  Each situation is unique so what occurred for another ship on a different day or another cruise line with different contracts can't always be used to set expectations.

I get that and I also know what we signed up for… but some people on our ship got a refund. That can’t be right!

22 minutes ago, Nikkoo2 said:

Well… I don’t believe that such decisions should be made 5 days out as things change. We dropped anchor 300 meters from Seattle dock so could not even enjoy Seattle…

When you are the captain of a ship responsible for thousands of lives, that will be your decision to make. 

I don't believe thar some on the ship were compensated and others not.  Can you explain that?

4 minutes ago, Xaa said:

When you are the captain of a ship responsible for thousands of lives, that will be your decision to make. 

I don't believe thar some on the ship were compensated and others not.  Can you explain that?

Everybody we asked said they had got their port fees back. Even people we met on the plane on the way back home. 

Safety does trump all else but I’m in an industry that follows the weather very closely and making a major impactful decision is NEVER made 5 days out. 

1. If you read the fine print, it is all covered there.
  2. You should appreciate the cruise line putting your safety before everything else.
  3. You did or will get the port fees back.  My last cruise they put it on my ship account and if you did not pay attention, you would miss it.
  4. Everyone is expecting to be compensated for everything.  I drop my hot coffee on my lap, sue the company that gave it to me.  I missed a port because it was not safe,  give me extra money.  We need to relax a little and enjoy life (and your cruise)

1 hour ago, Nikkoo2 said:

Something else to add… NCL docked 2 smaller ships in our cancelled port that day. 

I just feel their new weather man is overly cautious. 

There might have been other issues like wind or even pilot availability. I agree that 5 days out is early unless a named storm is the issue. By the way, we've never been compensated for a missed port other than port fees on occasion  

1 hour ago, Nikkoo2 said:

Bit of a kick in the teeth when the email that tells you of the issue says “don’t worry we are faster than the storm and can go around it to keep you safe” then you sit anchored off of a perfectly good city for 60 hours…

Look at the positives. You are anchored for 60 hours on a floating resort. Is it really that bad? In my mind that’s 60 hours of enjoying that ship with a cold drink in my hand. Things could be so much worse. 

3 hours ago, Nikkoo2 said:

Everybody we asked said they had got their port fees back. Even people we met on the plane on the way back home. 

Ok, maybe re-check your folio and look for an OBC you might have missed.  One or 2 people might misunderstand credits they received,  but if it is overwhelming like it sounds, then maybe you've already gotten them.

Normally they put a letter in the cabin when they refund like that.  Was there a letter?  Might be worth calling on that issue.

I'm glad you had a great cruise.

I'm sure that there is more to the captain's decision than you are thinking about.   They don't make those cavalierly. They really have no reason to lie, they can change and not compensate without a weather excuse.

Sorry to seem uncaring, I do care.  I just think this is one of those things that goes with cruising.

Might be worth a recheck of your folio and a call

On my Navigator of the Seas cruise in 2018 they had to cancel Aruba because of the weather. The captain actually made a video with him showing a map of Aruba and explaining why they couldn't dock due to the expected high winds the next day. We were substituted Nassau instead. While it was a true bummer, there was nothing we could do. 

I'm sure all of you remember what it was like at Coco Cay before the pier was put in and all the ships had to tender their passengers in.

18 hours ago, Nikkoo2 said:

They just said a rain storm. When we did move we had 21’ waves and you could hardly feel it. Weather forecasting for such a reaction can’t be that good 5 days out can it?

I find it difficult to believe you could hardly feel 21-foot waves.

9 hours ago, Nikkoo2 said:

Going across the bay of biscay on explorer with 21’ waves we could feel. On Quantum alongside Vancouver Island not so much. 

believe what you will. 

The direction of the waves can make a huge difference. A beam (waves coming from the side) is the worst. A following (waves coming from behind) is the smoothest.