Ordering etiquette in MDR

Going on my first RC cruise next week (wow it's nice to finally be able to say "next week").  It is my understanding that the portions in the MDR are smaller than one might usually expect.  And that you can, and should, order multiple apps, entrees, desserts, etc.

My question is should you order everything all at once when first placing your order, or do you wait until after finishing up a certain course before you say "I would also like ..."? 

I know I saw on the YouTube live chat not to order more than you can eat.  So that is why I am not sure what the propper etiquette is for when to order more than just 1 app or 1 entree (especially apps as there are quite a few that look nice!).

If it makes a difference, we have an early sitting time.

6 minutes ago, NC Grateful Dead Dad said:

Going on my first RC cruise next week (wow it's nice to finally be able to say "next week").  It is my understanding that the portions in the MDR are smaller than one might usually expect.  And that you can, and should, order multiple apps, entrees, desserts, etc.

My question is should you order everything all at once when first placing your order, or do you wait until after finishing up a certain course before you say "I would also like ..."? 

I know I saw on the YouTube live chat not to order more than you can eat.  So that is why I am not sure what the propper etiquette is for when to order more than just 1 app or 1 entree (especially apps as there are quite a few that look nice!).

If it makes a difference, we have an early sitting time.

Congratulations !!  You have such a treat ahead of you !!

Yes, I recommend that you order everything that you intend to order, right up front.

Be prepared, however, that if you order more than 1 entree (and there is nothing to stop you from doing that with the single exception of ordering additional lobster tails when they are on the menu, unless you want to pay $$), that they MAY be brought out in succession rather than being brought to the table all at once.  That is not the case with appetizers, side dishes and/or desserts.  Just the main courses.  I think the delayed extra entrees is slowly being ignored but it is entirely possible that they will only bring you a second entree after you have completed the first one.  They will bring you as many side dishes, appetizers and desserts as you want. 

My experience has been that even though the main dish portions look small, by the time you have a couple of appetizers, it is actually a lot of food.  On the very few rare occasions that we have ordered a second entree (and it's usually something that we just want to "sample" and share), they have brought it out with the rest of our entrees, but the "rule" of holding second entrees until the first one is gone, is still officially in effect as far as I know.

22 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My experience has been that even though the main dish portions look small, by the time you have a couple of appetizers, it is actually a lot of food.

As someone who likes to eat, that's not my experience, lol... everyone has different appetites though so neither of us is wrong, of course.

My FIL still comments on how much I can eat (especially on family cruises) after being married to his daughter for 21 years. 🙈

I am larger than the average NFL player (for those scoring at home, the average player in the NFL is 6'2, 245 pounds), so I can eat.

Would I appear a glutton on the second night if on night 2 I ordered (yes, I just looked up the menu) in this manner?

"I would like to start with the Calamari and Escargot, then for the entree the chicken cordon bleu and seafood linguine, and the apple cobbler for dessert."

Just not trying to embarrass the family that early in the trip.

8 minutes ago, NC Grateful Dead Dad said:

I am larger than the average NFL player (for those scoring at home, the average player in the NFL is 6'2, 245 pounds), so I can eat.

Would I appear a glutton on the second night if on night 2 I ordered (yes, I just looked up the menu) in this manner?

"I would like to start with the Calamari and Escargot, then for the entree the chicken cordon bleu and seafood linguine, and the apple cobbler for dessert."

Nah. You just ordered one dessert. 🙂 I always order three appetizers, one entree, and three desserts. No one seems surprised. I'm sure the waitstaff has seen everything.

44 minutes ago, NC Grateful Dead Dad said:

You're fine, order away! You will definitely not be the only one who enjoys eating on a cruise.

Other things to consider are having way more than 3 meals/day. We get up early, my wife goes walking (she used to run) most mornings while I grab cappuccino from the DL and usually a bagel or "McMuffin" from Park Cafe and/or some pastries. That's my "pre-breakfast." After she's done and showers we have our actual sit down breakfast.

We'll have lunch somewhere but I frequently snack in the afternoon... Park Cafe, WJ, El Loco Fresh, etc.

We don't like the MDR much b/c the quality varies, my wife is picky, and I obviously like to eat. One reason we do early seating for the few nights we do eat in the MDR is so we can go to the WJ after... I can always eat more, we like to see if there are any interesting items/desserts up there, picky wife may not have liked her meal, etc.

And of course there's always pizza if you're still hungry late night.

What's funny in my case is that I'm smaller than the average NFL equipment manager, lol. I'm 5'10" and thin... just one of those guys who can eat. You're maintaining... I'm gaining 8-10 lbs in a week, which is a lot at my size.

You do you and don't worry about etiquette other than being polite, of course.

My experience last week on Oasis in the MDR…several of the men in my family group ordered quite a bit each night.  At least 2 appetizers, 2 main meals as well as 2 desserts.  Appetizers came out together.  Main meals came out together most nights and one at a time just once.  Desserts came out together.  
Once or twice… I ordered a couple of extra dishes for the table and they came out with all the meals.  

The only thing I ordered that kind of threw me off because it came out in such a small portion was the lasagna. They laid it down and my wife just looked at me and said that ain't gonna do it for you, lol. So She gave me part of her chicken parm (I can eat a lot... she eats like a bird so it works out for me most of the time) 

The "proper etiquette" in ordering food in the MDR is the same for proper etiquette everywhere.

You order what you want, how many you want, let them know dietary restrictions, ask for half-sized or smaller portions, whatever.  The most important thing is to ask politely and be kind and receptive to answers that you may not like.  Just don't act entitled.  Lot's of people say, "its your vacation, do as you please..."  Nope.  Its your vacation along with thousands of others' vacation.  Enjoying one's own vacation does not come at the expense of another.

Don't worry if you can't finish all of your food.  First time cruisers make mistakes just the same as experienced cruisers.  

I think after the first night you’ll have a good idea on portion sizes served, that may help you in the coming days.  The only plate I feel has a lot of food is the Caribbean jerk chicken…. The cheese tortellini now has about 10-12 pieces (yes I counted) which to me is an appetizer size.  
mug at all possible ask for plates to be brought out together-some ships/servers will…others say it’s not permitted.  The reason I say together is the waitstaff pulls the table order from the kitchen all at once, snd your hood is cooling down in a covered dish while you eat the first plate.  
mid after having a look at what’s served and you decide you want more or another dish you can just ask.  We had a running joke at our table one night that the smallest man always had the smallest plate of food…and that man could eat!  He’d take one look at the size of his plate and tell the server nicely, “I’m going to need a second plate of this”.  The waitstaff is very good about accommodating each person. 

On 8/8/2023 at 2:18 PM, NC Grateful Dead Dad said:

10 years ago, my mom brought the family on a cruise. My youngest nephew (14 at the time, and skinny as a rail) regularly ordered 3 apps, 2 entrees and at least 2 desserts. Standard was shrimp cocktail & Caesar salad, plus whatever else looked good. This was after a large breakfast and lunch, and several trips to the soft serve machine. 

26 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

10 years ago, my mom brought the family on a cruise. My youngest nephew (14 at the time, and skinny as a rail) regularly ordered 3 apps, 2 entrees and at least 2 desserts. Standard was shrimp cocktail & Caesar salad, plus whatever else looked good. This was after a large breakfast and lunch, and several trips to the soft serve machine. 

My kinda kid, lol. I didn't start eating that much until a bit later in life.