Solarium access . . . For kids!!!???

We have just started the second of our back to back cruises - a 12-night British Isles cruise on the Jewel of the Seas and have encountered this (see the photos). Evidently, Royal Caribbean has made a fleetwide decision (according to Manish, the smug and thoroughly unhelpful guest services officer we had to deal with) to open up the previously "adults-only" Solarium to kids under 16 when the ship's itinerary takes you to colder weather climates. Or, perhaps it's on every ship in the fleet, but maybe only if needed ... the answer seems very confusing (and confused).

I get it that Royal says they are "evolving the brand to multigenerational families," but what about adult cruisers whose kids have grown up? Those customers who have been loyal to Royal before this so-called brand evolution?  I can't help but feel we are being left behind, and our loyalty disregarded.

20230725_090203.jpg

Just as Royal can create an area that excludes paying customers under 16, they can create a rule that modifies the hours of the exclusion.  Their ship, their rules.  Looks like it's 3 hours or just 12.5% of some days.  Doesn't seem huge to me.  If it's a deal breaker for you when deciding to book future cruises, I certainly respect your choice.

3 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Just as Royal can create an area that excludes paying customers under 16, they can create a rule that modifies the hours of the exclusion.  Their ship, their rules.  Looks like it's 3 hours or just 12.5% of some days.  Doesn't seem huge to me.  If it's a deal breaker for you when deciding to book future cruises, I certainly respect your choice.

I, on the other hand would complain that the family time falls during prime young-child napping time.  Not that the diapered crowd is likely to be using the solarium (unless they're Depends brand) but those 3-7 year old still need naps during vacation.  RCL does their best but they cannot satisfy everyone.

Keep in mind that the Solarium pools on ships that travel to the colder climates are typically indoors (I haven't specifically checked for Jewel).  The outdoor pools are typically unusable or very unpopular in cold weather.  If Royal didn't allow kids to use the Solarium's indoor pool for 3 hours, they would basically be unable to use the pools for their entire cruise.  That's not family friendly at all.

The issue I saw last week, with kids in the Solarium, on Brilliance was that with Park Cafe being in the Solarium, it was rarely an adults only space. I also think it was open to children (or the posted signs ignored or superseded) far more often than the posted signs allowed for, but I wasn't keeping track.

We were on Radiance in June cruising from Vancouver to Seward.  The outdoor pool was heated so I didn't see a reason to open up the Solarium for 1 - 3:00 pm for all ages.  On one of the days a child had an "accident" and the pool had to be emptied and sanitized.  It just makes no sense if both pools were heated so  just leave the children in the larger, heated pool.

4 minutes ago, Montemy2419 said:

We were on Radiance in June cruising from Vancouver to Seward.  The outdoor pool was heated so I didn't see a reason to open up the Solarium for 1 - 3:00 pm for all ages.  On one of the days a child had an "accident" and the pool had to be emptied and sanitized.  It just makes no sense if both pools were heated so  just leave the children in the larger, heated pool.

I think it depends somewhat on the weather.  I was on an Alaska cruise in late June. Weather was 50 degrees and rainy. Allowing the kids in for a few hours made a lot of sense.

I was on another Alaska cruise in early June. Temps were in the high 80s with sun. Letting kids in was unnecessary, but how should Royal know in advance about this?

4 minutes ago, Montemy2419 said:

I think it depends somewhat on the weather.  I was on an Alaska cruise in late June. Weather was 50 degrees and rainy. Allowing the kids in for a few hours made a lot of sense.

I was on another Alaska cruise in early June. Temps were in the high 80s with sun. Letting kids in was unnecessary, but how should Royal know in advance about this?

I was on Jewel 3 years ago in a warm climate. They allowed kids in the Solarium almost all the time. We complained but nothing was done. A reason for us not to sail that type of ship (where the Solarium is a walk through area) again. For us it was a deal breaker. 

oo oo oo...quoting lyrics about young people!  I want in.  But before that, I am going on Symphony in roughly 3 weeks- what apparently is the height of children traveling in Europe.  I read that Symphony is so big, that you really don't see the kids- or anyone you don't want to due to the size of the boat.  I haven't cruised in 25+ years.  Does that seem right (the part about not seeing people...not about my not cruising)?  This must be one big boat I'm getting on!

Ok...now my lyrics (well, not MINE...Grateful Dead)

Cows are giving kerosene
The kid can't read at seventeen
The words he knows are all obscene
But it's alright
I will get by
I will get by

(wow this site gets addicting the closer I get to the cruise!)

12 minutes ago, NC Grateful Dead Dad said:

But before that, I am going on Symphony in roughly 3 weeks- what apparently is the height of children traveling in Europe.  I read that Symphony is so big, that you really don't see the kids- or anyone you don't want to due to the size of the boat.  I haven't cruised in 25+ years.  Does that seem right (the part about not seeing people...not about my not cruising)?

No, you will definitely see people... lots of people. That said, as someone who almost exclusively cruises in the summer (wife is a teacher) on full Oasis class ships (like Symphony) with lots of kids, the crowds don't bother us b/c they are very spread out and we don't really mind the kids b/c we don't frequent most of the areas they do. For example, the main pool area is usually very crowded with lots of kids... we use the Solarium, not just b/c it's adults only but b/c I avoid the sun and we don't need to be partying by the pool.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just the opposite. There are so many places to be and things to do that the 6000 people are spread out enough that it only feels crowded in certain locations at certain times (i.e. main pool, WJ at peak times, etc.). You will still see lots of people but the ship is equipped to hold that many and RC does a good job of managing the capacity.