Johnny Rockets - how much can I order?

Cactus527

I know that Johnny Rockets is a set fee for lunch and dinner. My question is: how much can I order? Am I limited to getting one of x, one of y, and one of z? Or can I order 12 burgers and three shakes for that set price (as an example, not that I would actually order 12 burgers!)?

Thanks in advance for your response.

24 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

(as an example, not that I would actually order 12 burgers!)?

Only with the Pepto Bismo shake.  

Conjures memories of work when our station had one of those "all nighter" nights.  In between calls a stop at the Krystal for an order of 50 Krystal Burgers with cheese and 10 orders of fries for the engine, truck & rescue crew. Wonderful back in the day, I took it all in stride. Today, would probably kill me. 🤣

3 sailings with Refreshment Package, only 2 ships with Johnny Rockets, but batted a thousand with no cost shakes. But.................as I posted somewhere else here, the shake glass on Wonder's Johnny Rockets was smaller than the glasses used on Mariner. Wonder's were plastic as I recall, Mariner's were like a classic glass soda fountain style glass.

On the Wonder sailing a few weeks ago we were asked to order our main and then did we want fries or onion rings. Previously they just brought a plate of both to the table for all to share, we thought this was still the case so only kiddo asked for them and we said we would share. They brought a tiny plate and a tiny bowl with 4 onion rings and the smallest french fries you ever saw, maybe 10? So we asked for more and we had to wait a long time but then they brought just fries, it was painful. We had to ask a third time for more for the three of us. I promise you we wanted at least our 12.99 worth of food. Then we were told we could use our Diamond drink vouchers for shakes so hubby & kiddo ordered shakes. The receipt was correct at this point. 

This was our last sea day. When I received my invoice while hubby was driving home in our email they had added the cost of their 2 shakes, so dirty. We have 5 vouchers each and never even used any that day, this was the first usage. It was a matter of just under $8.00 so being I was off the ship I just paid it, I decided I didn't want to put energy into it after the sailing. Left a bad taste (pun intended) for Jr's moving forward. 

My chicken club sandwich was really good though, I have to mention that. I miss the upbeat dancing as well but I get it. 

2 hours ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Only with the Pepto Bismo shake.

47 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I can't imagine that anyone would want 12.......

That's exactly why I put in such a ridiculous number. I appreciate knowing that we can order pretty much anything we want. With that $12.99 charge, does that include the shakes too? I understand that it's covered under the refreshment package, but we only have the soda package. Will I have to pay extra for the shakes if I want food as well?

3 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Is it $12.99 per person and order as much food as you want?  If so, what stops 1 person from ordering enough to feed their family and taking it to go?  Or do you have to eat there?

Yes $12.99 per person and you have to eat there. Only certain JR locations have to-go options, hence why just getting a shake sometimes can be a hassle. Certain ships have JR express and the items are a la carte.

Speaking of food...I was on Oasis of the Seas June 23rd sailing (with UDP and staying in a suite) and I was told that I could not make a reservation at 2 specialty restaurants in one night and that UDP was limited to 1 specialty restaurant a night for dinner and lunch on sea days. So, what's right? I tried calling RCL, but the answers were all over the place. Why is it called unlimited if you cannot eat at more than 1 restaurant a night or even have dinner in one and dessert in another? 

6 minutes ago, Figuring It Out said:

Speaking of food...I was on Oasis of the Seas June 23rd sailing (with UDP and staying in a suite) and I was told that I could not make a reservation at 2 specialty restaurants in one night and that UDP was limited to 1 specialty restaurant a night for dinner and lunch on sea days. So, what's right? I tried calling RCL, but the answers were all over the place. Why is it called unlimited if you cannot eat at more than 1 restaurant a night or even have dinner in one and dessert in another? 

You used to be able to do this but that feature went away with the changes to a la carte dining. I think this is because they don't have the space. Lots of people are booking the UDP with the new menu changes. So, to give multiple reservations to one party/group each night wouldn't be fair. You have to consider that holding a table for someone to just get dessert takes away from other paying customers. 

I've had two sailings on Harmony where I've exceeded the limits you were given. One night I had two dinner reservations. Early dinner at Wonderland and a later dinner at Izumi(was told I might still be hungry after Wonderland). Second cruise I had sea day lunch at Jamie's and dinner at 150 CP with Sabor the afternoon between them. I didn't have a reservation for Sabor. Just popped in. Not sure if that made a difference.

Aah, well that was very helpful. It should be written somewhere that unlimited isn't really unlimited. We paid for UDP and each restaurant. I mentioned the dessert at separate restaurant because that was on this blog too (as a way to maximize). Thank you very much for clarifying. For the next cruise we just bought each restaurant  and lunch instead of the UDP. It wasn't much of a difference in price. Thanks again!

1 minute ago, amanalo217 said:

I've had two sailings on Harmony where I've exceeded the limits you were given. One night I had two dinner reservations. Early dinner at Wonderland and a later dinner at Izumi(was told I might still be hungry after Wonderland). Second cruise I had sea day lunch at Jamie's and dinner at 150 CP with Sabor the afternoon between them. I didn't have a reservation for Sabor. Just popped in. Not sure if that made a difference.

Well, that's what I heard you could do, but apparently that doesn't work anymore. Too bad,

I think it really just depends on availability.  If the restaurant can accommodate you, they will.  If they are booked, you will not be able to dine there.  It was pre-COVID, but we had dinner in 1 restaurant and then went to Wonderland for dessert…no problem.  I think the restaurants are more booked these days.  Not sure if it would work, now.

I checked...They said the restaurant was available...In fact, none of the specialty restaurants were busy when we went--on average about 5 or 6 tables filled (even Chef's Table only had 2 other couples). I asked the suite concierge and she said, only 1 specialty restaurant per night on UDP and lunch on sea days. If you doubled up on specialty restaurants, you would be charged for the second trip  I think it's fine, but just wish they would put that in the guidelines under the UDP so you are aware. That way you can make a decision on whether UDP is actually worth it or if buying individual restaurants would work better.

4 hours ago, Figuring It Out said:

I checked...They said the restaurant was available...In fact, none of the specialty restaurants were busy when we went--on average about 5 or 6 tables filled (even Chef's Table only had 2 other couples). I asked the suite concierge and she said, only 1 specialty restaurant per night on UDP and lunch on sea days. If you doubled up on specialty restaurants, you would be charged for the second trip  I think it's fine, but just wish they would put that in the guidelines under the UDP so you are aware. That way you can make a decision on whether UDP is actually worth it or if buying individual restaurants would work better.

Even with 1 per day, the math is going to work out in favor of UDP vs individual.  I certainly get the gripe that unlimited has a specific meaning that doesn't seem to be playing out for you.

I'm wondering if this is a calendar/scheduling issue.  I think a specialty dining restaurant will block like 2 or 2.5 hours off on your calendar where you aren't able to add anything else in that window.  Have you tried for like 5:00 PM and 9:00 PM?  Just wondering.

If you really are only able to reserve one but allowed to dine at more if space, that should certainly be spelled out.  If you're only allowed to actually dine at one (I don't think we're there yet), that should also be spelled out as well.  Won't surprise me to see them back down the benefits and redefine Unlimited to mean unlimited choices of the restaurants but limited visits.  If they are doing that, they better do it with words in CP.  I think the masses will not be as easy going as @Figuring It Out.

Never had an issue ordering more than 1 thing for the included price. The last few times I went the service has essentially been non existent. As Nessa said you'll only get a few fries or onion rings and ordering more will come at a snails crawl if at all. Last time we went there was a few tables being occupied and us. After sitting for about 10 minutes time for somebody to come take our order , the one table got up and left. The manager confronted them as leaving saying you've ordered you can't leave. The husband started yelling they ordered over 40 minutes ago and they weren't going to wait any longer. Ended up giving JR a 1 on the post cruise survey

9 hours ago, Figuring It Out said:

I asked the suite concierge and she said, only 1 specialty restaurant per night on UDP and lunch on sea days. If you doubled up on specialty restaurants, you would be charged for the second trip

If this is true (and I doubt it to be correct), it has changed in the last week.  Unlimited is unlimited with a very few exceptions, already discussed above. I agree with others, if they are going to limit where you can eat and how often, they need to change it back from Unlimited to Ultimate or some other name.

No issues with ordering more than one item, etc. in the specialty restaurant.  The issue was scheduling more than 1 specialty restaurant per night. I have it in writing from the suite concierge...I had dinners planned for 5:00PM and 9:00PM. I asked if the concierge could schedule our dinners, she came back and wrote the following...The Unlimited Dining Plan includes 1 dinner at any specialty restaurant a night and 1 lunch on sea days. You cannot schedule dinner for two specialty restaurants on the same night. When I arrived to the ship, I asked about availability (believing that was the issue and not that I was limited to 1 specialty restaurant per day). There was availability without any issues however, I was told that 1 dinner would be covered under UDP and the other would have to be paid for outside of the UDP. This was on the 6/23/23 sailing on Oasis so, very recent. 

39 minutes ago, Figuring It Out said:

No issues with ordering more than one item, etc. in the specialty restaurant.  The issue was scheduling more than 1 specialty restaurant per night. I have it in writing from the suite concierge...I had dinners planned for 5:00PM and 9:00PM. I asked if the concierge could schedule our dinners, she came back and wrote the following...The Unlimited Dining Plan includes 1 dinner at any specialty restaurant a night and 1 lunch on sea days. You cannot schedule dinner for two specialty restaurants on the same night. When I arrived to the ship, I asked about availability (believing that was the issue and not that I was limited to 1 specialty restaurant per day). There was availability without any issues however, I was told that 1 dinner would be covered under UDP and the other would have to be paid for outside of the UDP. This was on the 6/23/23 sailing on Oasis so, very recent. 

Here are the terms of the UDP on CP for a current Oasis booking.  It mentions 'unlimited' and 'multiple per night' several times.  Did you ask the concierge about the advertised terms of the UDP?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

image.thumb.png.866deb3824a5ad98625c06b684c9b9dc.png

On 7/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, Atlantix2000 said:

Is it $12.99 per person and order as much food as you want?  If so, what stops 1 person from ordering enough to feed their family and taking it to go?  Or do you have to eat there?

When I was on Anthem of the Seas, the JR was a walk-up counter with some seating but you could take it to go. That being said, each item was priced individually. When I was on Liberty of the Seas, it was more of a traditional JR and I only saw people take milkshakes to go, everyone eating was seated. That menu was one price of $11.99 or $12.99 per person.

• 3 months later...

I just went on the wonder last week and oasis in april, Johnny rockets is 12.99 for all you can eat with free sodas. You only pay extra for shakes and floats. But I learned an interesting tip, it's free with Any dining package 1 time per day. For shorter cruises this isn't a big deal but for 7 days or more a 3 night dining package still covers 1 time per day at not only Johnny rockets but up to 20 dollars per person per day at any of the similar non high end restaurants. I'm not sure if the 20 a day will cover a shake but I don't think so, I'm going on allure end of November and will find out.

16 hours ago, 1337rose said:

I just went on the wonder last week and oasis in april, Johnny rockets is 12.99 for all you can eat with free sodas. You only pay extra for shakes and floats. But I learned an interesting tip, it's free with Any dining package 1 time per day. For shorter cruises this isn't a big deal but for 7 days or more a 3 night dining package still covers 1 time per day at not only Johnny rockets but up to 20 dollars per person per day at any of the similar non high end restaurants. I'm not sure if the 20 a day will cover a shake but I don't think so, I'm going on allure end of November and will find out.

No, the shakes aren't included in any dining package. I just got off Allure with the UDP. You do not want to use a 3/5-night package at JR or Playmakers. The cheaper a la carte restaurants can be used once a day with the UDP, but counts as a night on the 3/5 one. So if you go to JR, you will only have 2/3 covers left, it is not free. That option is only available for the unlimited/ultimate dining package aka the UDP.