Other Perfect Day and Beach Club projects?

Covid certainly derailed the plans, I know, but at the time (pre-2020) what were the plans/speculation for other private destination developments?  Other than Lelepa in the Pacific?  Do any of the possible sites locations seem likely to be picked back up in your opinion?

I ask because of the Celebrity-CocoCay news today.  Cococay seems to be money-printing machine for them.  Also, I just visited Labadee for the first time and was impressed.

1 hour ago, TravisMA81 said:

I would like to see one somewhere in the Western Caribbean so cruises from Galveston would have one to go to.  

Agreed, I have no idea now what it's like security-wise in East coast places like Tampico and Veracruz (it was horrible a few years ago).  None of them have ever been developed as cruise ports so far as I know.

On the west coast of the Yucatan, Campeche has taken small cruise ships in the past.  Campeche would also complement the other Yucatan destinations geographically.

I don't know if any of these sites would be suitable for big cruise ships or what it would take to make it happen.  But I love Mexico and I hope something could be developed considering how well PDCC has gone.

1 hour ago, Thumper44 said:

Does anyone know how Costa Maya got developed?  Because that kind of seems like the middle of nowhere.  

Did a Navy or oil pier or something exist there prior to the cruise ships and related development?

I heard the Mayans built the port area after finishing the pyramids. 

13 hours ago, Thumper44 said:

Does anyone know how Costa Maya got developed?  Because that kind of seems like the middle of nowhere.  

Did a Navy or oil pier or something exist there prior to the cruise ships and related development?

https://journals.openedition.org/etudescaribeennes/3867?lang=en

Parts of the article rewritten using ChatGPT to be less academic are found in the attached text file.

Costa Maya Article Rewrite.txt

16 hours ago, Thumper44 said:

Covid certainly derailed the plans, I know, but at the time (pre-2020) what were the plans/speculation for other private destination developments?  Other than Lelepa in the Pacific?  Do any of the possible sites locations seem likely to be picked back up in your opinion?

I ask because of the Celebrity-CocoCay news today.  Cococay seems to be money-printing machine for them.  Also, I just visited Labadee for the first time and was impressed.

Other than the completion of the expansion of CocoCay (Hideaway Beach - adults only area) very soon, I can only think of the upcoming development of the Royal Beach Club in Nassau...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-beach-club-paradise-island

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/06/15/royal-caribbean-hires-bahamian-business-leader-head-of-new-bahamas-beach-club

On 6/28/2023 at 7:58 AM, JohnK6404 said:

Other than the completion of the expansion of CocoCay (Hideaway Beach - adults only area) very soon, I can only think of the upcoming development of the Royal Beach Club in Nassau...

I feel pretty confident that those two (and also Lelepa someday) are the only ones that are publicly known to be in the works.  But I'm wondering if anyone remembers the rumors and speculation pre-Covid when they were talking about a long list of projects?

For example, I heard Royal was in talks with Freeport in the Bahamas, to take over a resort area I think.  I assume that was put on hold because of Covid

18 minutes ago, Thumper44 said:

For example, I heard Royal was in talks with Freeport in the Bahamas, to take over a resort area I think.  I assume that was put on hold because of Covid

I remember that now... I haven't read anything new regarding that resort project. Not sure if they cancelled it during the shutdown. Maybe the Royal Beach Club is going to replace that project? I'm sure someone will have an accurate update for us!

2 hours ago, Thumper44 said:

But I'm wondering if anyone remembers the rumors and speculation pre-Covid when they were talking about a long list of projects?

I remember that. There was talk of 5 different Perfect Day locations. There were also sightings of surveyors and engineers at Labadee just prior to the shutdown as well that may thought meant added amenities planned for there as well.

On 6/28/2023 at 6:04 AM, Thumper44 said:

As for Lelepa, I am constantly trawling Vanuatu news for anything but nothing.

It appears Lelepa has hit a brick wall .

On 6/29/2023 at 11:32 AM, JohnK6404 said:

I remember that now... I haven't read anything new regarding that resort project. Not sure if they cancelled it during the shutdown. Maybe the Royal Beach Club is going to replace that project? I'm sure someone will have an accurate update for us!

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/12/23/royal-caribbeans-plan-buy-grand-lucayan-resort-freeport-canceled

• 5 months later...
On 6/29/2023 at 1:14 PM, Vancity Cruiser said:

I remember that. There was talk of 5 different Perfect Day locations. There were also sightings of surveyors and engineers at Labadee just prior to the shutdown as well that may thought meant added amenities planned for there as well.

I have no doubt they have more PD locations on the drawing board considering they are absolute cash cows for the company. The current leadership is focused on up charging and keeping things within the royal Caribbean sandbox so there is something in the works for sure!