Thoughts on Adventure OTS?

Toying with the idea of taking the grands on a cruise (after the last cruise with brother & nephew I have to be insane!!).  Nevertheless, I found a 6 day out of PC visiting Labadee, Jamaica and CocoCay.  I really like the itinerary as there’s only one day not covered by the cruise package.  I prefer to sail out of PC and the length is about right.  Trouble is it’s on Adventure.  We were on Explorer last year and I was not a fan, kind of a rust bucket.  Can I get opinions?  And do I bite the bullet because everything else works?  Can they please move that itinerary to a better ship??

Was on the Adventure last fall. I wouldn't say it was in great shape, but it fine. Last time we did Voyager class was like 2014 or something and have been doing mostly Oasis class so it was a little bit of an adjustment. One thing I'd caution is for the ice rink, when they were doing non skating shows and put the floor down it was causing the ice under it to melt and seep through the joints, so the floor was extremely slipperly (really surprised they didn't cancel the events). One thing I noticed was Johnny Rockets was always empty and the service was extremely slow.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's 90% of the way to a complete amp.

Adventure was the test ship to prove the concept of what would become the amplification program.  It just needs a Playmakers to call it done.  

Let's hope it gets it next year on the dry dock scheduled for Oct 2024

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's 90% of the way to a complete amp.

Adventure was the test ship to prove the concept of what would become the amplification program.  It just needs a Playmakers to call it done.  

Which stinks because Playmakers is the only thing I care about on an amped ship. 

@Pooch we sailed Adventure out of Nassau on the first sailing after the shut down. We are going back on her in June 2024 to experience what we surely missed. The itinerary is a major factor for us as well. While I love the Oasis class I really enjoyed this ship. The entertainment was so so but our cabin (2 bedroom suite deck 8 😎 made for an amazing sailing.) I think you will have a blast. Highly recommend the 2 bedroom, the balcony is amazing. 

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I had 2 complaints about Explorer.  First the tin can feel to the balcony in the hull and the lack of TVs for sports in the bars.  The only one there was tiny and very crowded.

Only bar I remember showing sports was the schooner bar, then your fighting with the piano player. The did show the world series on the screen by the pool

For a long time, Royal was behind the times with providing sports viewing venues.  Freedom and Oasis class, prior to amping efforts, had one space with TV's that had to share with other events.  For me, being a huge NFL fan and usually sailing during the season, it was always a bit of a frustration.  When we sailed on Quantum way back in Dec 2014, the Pats were playing a Sunday night game.  When I got on board, it was quickly apparent that there was no space to watch the game other than a couple of small TV's.  I went to the Guest Services to inquire about it and was told that the ship would not be showing any NFL games, but that the question had been asked often.  By mid week, they announced that the game would be on the big screen on the pool deck and on the one small TV in the Schooner Bar.

Glad that Royal has recognized the popularity of sports, especially given the expanded online gambling and the various Fantasy leagues, and has been implementing dedicated viewing locations.  I'm looking forward to spending time at Playmakers on Odyssey next January when the NFL playoffs will be in full swing.

We were on it last year. Had no issues with it whatsoever. It's not as new, obviously, as a Oasis class ship. But we found it clean and in good shape. It at no point felt 'old' other than perhaps the furniture and materials in the room. 

If you like the itinerary, I wouldn't think for a second about going on Adventure. We had a perfectly good time.

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

I had 2 complaints about Explorer.  First the tin can feel to the balcony in the hull and the lack of TVs for sports in the bars.  The only one there was tiny and very crowded.

Unfortunately the cave like balconies are a fact of life on the first 3 Voyager class ships. There's not much that can be done about it now.

Looking on the Bright side, they do offer better privacy than the more modern style 

2 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

Let's hope it gets it next year on the dry dock scheduled for Oct 2024

Looking at a Dec 2024 cruise.  Might it not be done & back in service by then?

and there will be 8 of us so the 2 br suite is very tempting.  Might be too easy to toss a child overboard (or a husband!!).

Can I ask where the 2 pullmans are located?

44 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Can I ask where the 2 pullmans are located?

The two Pullman beds are located in bedroom #2. 

They come down from opposite sides above the bed. Sorry I didn't think to take a photo of them in the ceiling.

Screenshot_20230607_153241_Photos.jpg

Edited by Neesa
Added pic

Good information Neesa.  That configuration would definitely impact my decision.  My DD always gets stuck with the pull out & I was thinking the extra bedroom might give her an actual bed.  But if the Pullman’s are in there, that won’t be an option.  Thanks.

23 hours ago, Pooch said:

I would say you’re going to have the same on Adventure…I prefer the other balcony style as well, it seems more open and bright, but I felt like the cove style balcony was more private and quieter.  Overall I liked Adventure though, so if the itinerary is what you want I wouldn’t hesitate