can I use a copy of my birth certificate. I lost my original

8 hours ago, Deborah McAdams said:

I lost my original birth certificate and also lost my passport.  Can I use a copy of my birth certificate

Depends on what you mean by "copy".  There's no legal difference between the the first issued birth certificate and any subsequently issued birth certificates.  As long as it has the raised seal or whatever else makes it legal in your state/country/etc, then it is a legal birth certificate.  These are called copies of your birth certificate (including that first one).

However, if you put a legal copy of your birth certificate on a copy machine (xerox or other scanner/printer device) and make a "copy", then no, that is NOT a legal copy.

It's unfortunate that we use the word "copy" in both situations but I'm not aware of a better word.

19 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Depends on what you mean by "copy".  There's no legal difference between the the first issued birth certificate and any subsequently issued birth certificates.  As long as it has the raised seal or whatever else makes it legal in your state/country/etc, then it is a legal birth certificate.  These are called copies of your birth certificate (including that first one).

However, if you put a legal copy of your birth certificate on a copy machine (xerox or other scanner/printer device) and make a "copy", then no, that is NOT a legal copy.

It's unfortunate that we use the word "copy" in both situations but I'm not aware of a better word.

21 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Nope, you need a certified copy with raised seal.

"raised seal" is not a requirement, many agencies no longer issue these, other fraud prevention technologies have taken over

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

My mom was able to board with a picture of her birth certificate on a closed loop cruise. Like a picture on her phone.

I’ve read if people boarding with a pic of their birth certificate.  I believe this just happened on my current cruise.  Someone got to port without their birth certificate and had someone send a copy to them via phone. Not something I’d want to try though

22 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I’ve read if people boarding with a pic of their birth certificate.  I believe this just happened on my current cruise.  Someone got to port without their birth certificate and had someone send a copy to them via phone. Not something I’d want to try though

Nope, we were sweating bullets.