Drink Package and Tipping

What is the expectation to tip when you have purchased a drink package? I was charged gratuity when I bought my package. I can't remember if that was the case in 2016 when I last went on a RC cruise. Back then I tipped for every alcohol beverage that I received. Is this necessary?

We did our drinking a la carte last trip; Deluxe Beverage Package just doesn't work for us, even factoring in non-alcoholic drinks (we did have the refreshment package). Confined our business to 2 bars and 3 specific bartenders between them, never ordered from the roving servers but 1 time. We always added a tip beyond the included tip when we signed the ticket. I will say we netted 4  'no additional cost' gin and tonics and a mojito over seven days. And the gin and tonics got decidedly stiffer. Our gesture was absolutely recognized. 🤪

• 2 months later...

The pre-paid gratuities are for the MDR and your room steward essentially, but when you buy drinks individually or a package, an 18% gratuity will be added, so there is no need to tip additionally.  A lot of people do tip additional, but you would be completely covered if you chose not to.  

My rule of thumb is if someone is bringing me a drink, like a server, then I will throw them a buck each time.  I'm talking about servers at the pool, servers in the theater, servers in Schooner, etc.  If I walk up to a bar and get a drink myself then I won't tip anything additional.  If I am sitting at a bar for a while and have multiple drinks, I will leave a couple bucks when I leave.  In principle it bugs me since I already paid 18%, but at the end of the day, the dollars mean way more to them than they do to me.  An extra $50-$100 over the course of a week vacation isn't an issue. 

I will say, in my observations, I feel like I am not the norm in this regard.  I see a lot of people get drinks from servers and they just take their cards back and that is it.  No tips.  The servers don't seem bothered, honestly it happens constantly, so I think they are numb to it.  I always do receive a thank you though.     

I think a lot of folks just don't get it...

You have already tipped.  Cruises are supposed to be "cash-free".  You don't have to carry your wallet around with you or deal with cash while onboard.  Service is great whether you push around dollar bills every time you get a drink or not.

I do NOT carry around a stack of dollars.  My bar waiters always serve me very well anyway.  I do bring larger bills with me for exceptional service...and, at the end of the cruise, if, for example, I've had my pre-dinner drinks in the Diamond Club and have received consistent exceptional service (which I typically have) from the same bar waiters/bartenders there every night, I will give them an envelope with a much larger gratuity--indicating my appreciation for the service, NOT as a "bribe" in an attempt to get future better service.  And I have had bar waiters remember me on cruises as much as 4-5 years later!!!

Folks, a cruise ship is not a "strip club"--where you come armed with singles to shove into the g-strings of the "employees".  🙂

Just out of curiosity...does anyone know how the servers "get" your gratuity that you prepaid with the DBP? We always get great service and constant refills and, admittedly, we don't give that extra $1 or 2.

Everyone's 18% is different - we paid $64.99 pp/pd. But someone who bought it on board would have paid $99.99 pp/pd (I think) so 18% of that is different.

Maybe this is just Royal Fuzzy Math that can never be explained?

Hello,

My question is more on the drink package vs tipping. Does anyone have any experience with the refreshment package on a QC ship? I know you can get soda, mocktails, water at any of the bars, premium coffees at the cafes. But what about the freshly squeezed juices and milk shakes? 

Thanks in advance

30 minutes ago, VicB said:

Hello,

My question is more on the drink package vs tipping. Does anyone have any experience with the refreshment package on a QC ship? I know you can get soda, mocktails, water at any of the bars, premium coffees at the cafes. But what about the freshly squeezed juices and milk shakes? 

Thanks in advance

Fresh squeezed juice will only be had in the MDR and the WJ, so you can get that no problem. If the Quantum class ship doesn't have a Johnny rockets, then milkshakes are a no. I don't think most of the Quantum class has Vitality cafes, so no smoothies can be had either.