When should children get passports?

Assuming you are asking about US passports.

It’s up to the parents.  There is no requirement for them to have passports if they don’t go beyond the north western hemisphere or travel internationally by air.  US children (Under 16) can enter Canada, Mexico, and most countries in the north western hemisphere with only their birth certificates as long as it is land or water crossings.

You will find a lot of opinions here I am sure one way or the other. I have traveled with my younger children using only birth certificates with no issues. Just realize if you are in a foreign country on a cruise and have an emergency requiring you to fly home, you will have to apply for an emergency one way passport from the US consulate or embassy before you can fly home.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

My son had his first passport at age 2.

That works when both parents agree and sign the passport application, but there are times when parents (usually divorced or unwed) don't agree or refuse to allow the child to have a passport.  Courts can intervene and one verdict from the court can be that a parent can travel out to a nearby country but not have a passport which would not allow travel beyond that.

For our daughters we applied for them after birth (next week or so). The oldest one traveled internationally (by airplane) at about 3 month after her birth.

But we live in Europe, so while we can travel to lot's of countries without showing a passport, you have to have it on you if you travel.

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

My son had his first passport at age 2.

Our son's first passport was around this time also.  The only drawback to having one when they are younger is they have to renew more frequently.  It was much easier to have it done and just renew moving forward rather than worry about what documents were needed for travel.  Granted he is still not driving age and is well traveled already.

Our kids got them at the same time, so 2 and 5. When they are that young you have to renew every five years. We’re waiting to renew a couple more months so the oldest will be 16, which is the ten year renewal age. It’s easy to do and even our tiny town has a passport post office location. I feel much more secure than when I would bring them with their birth certificates.

I am like everyone else, get them now.  You can do without them until there is an issue.  Just think about this, you have an issue while in the Caribbean.  You have to fly home because of medical issues.  Your grandchild that is with you does not have a passport and cannot fly back with you.  What do you do?  I always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

We got our son's when he was 6. He is 7 now and we took him on his first cruise last month. He was so proud to hand his passport to the folks in the terminal and tell them how we "tricked" him because we told him we were just staying in a hotel, but instead we surprised him with a 3 nighter cruise. He didn't "need" his passport for the cruise we went on, but like others have mentioned, it's a peace of mind and another form of ID for his future.