IZUMI HIBACHI some honest reviews please!

Censored

Matt raves about this being one of the best dining experiences on board.  From my experience at similar  Japanese cooking tables in various cities, I find them lack lustre with regards to the entertainment whilst cooking and the overall flavour of the food.  You will be surrounded by all other cooking tables with asian chefs all doing the same routine so its noisy as well.  Juggling eggs, slapping spatulas on the grill, for  about 3 items all cooked with the same oil and added soy sauce.  Add rice.   Would like some honest options on this and if and why you feel its worth a surcharge to boot!   

My son loves hibachi....the experience and the food.  We have some local hibachi places and we go from time to time. I am in the Chicago area so I do live in a place where there are foodie experiences and great food.

We tried Izumi Hibachi on the Symphony for the first time last November after hearing reviews of how great it is.  Meh is my overall opinion.  The entertainment portion was ok....I understand no fire allowed on a ship, but the performance wasn't even that great in spite of no onion volcano (LOL!).  There was plenty of food to eat, but all in all, I did find it lacked flavor other than soy sauce.

I agree 100% you can have a fun time with fun people.  That would add to the experience. 

I am sure you will hear reviews on both sides of the fence and everyone has different tastes and experiences.  You won't truly know until you try.

I really love the hibachi! It is definitely better than hibachi I've had on land and it is a super fun experience. I think it is worth the cost as not only is the food flavorful, but it brings a high-energy and social atmosphere to a dining experience that you can't find elsewhere onboard.

I don't feel that it's worth paying full price or even the $10 upcharge with the UDP when there are so many other included venues that you can dine at.  However, it's probably the one venue where you will find the hottest and freshest food on the ship.

It's the same old schtick that you will see at land based restaurants. The food is very similar as well. Hibachi on land is also overpriced IMO. You're really paying for the experience and it is cheaper on land than what they charge on the ships.

I've never walked away from hibachi onboard thinking, "Wow, that sucked." But I've also never paid for the experience out of pocket.

I have to agree with @AshleyDillo, the ship Hibachi imho is not really worth the upcharge on top of already paying for the UDP. IT will be nothing but salt and garlic when it comes to flavor. Also, it is very loud, you hear your chef banging then other chefs banging while food is just being cooked in front of you. I feel like the major draw is that it is a lot of food, that comes out really hot. But the teriyaki bowl taste just as good without all the fuss. 

• 1 year later...

My family of 4 just went to Izumi for dinner on our first night on the boat. We have been to plenty of "strip mall" hibachi places and our young kids(9&11) always enjoy the experience. What makes Izumi special for the adults is the quality of the meat, especially the beef. The tenderloin was prime grade. The shrimp was equally good. Don't let the negative reviews cast doubt on your choice to reserve a table here. Great food and experience. 

It’s great as long as you’re not from the south! For some reason hibachi is not the same without tons and tons of white sauce! 

Our chef was great though. He did so many little tricks and kept the kids occupied. I think all the places around where I live are short staffed now bc they basically just cook as fast as they can then are gone.

In my last cruise the food was actually pretty good. With that said, our chef was worth the price of admission alone. He was super funny, super engaged with everyone and was BY FAR the best entertainment on the ship. There were 3 tables that were all seated at the same time as our reservation. The other two chefs did the bare minimum and were done cooking and interacting with their guests a full 30 minutes sooner than we were done. We got a completely different experience than them and again was well worth the $$

On the other side.  We were a party of 4 ; seated with a couple more parties. In one of the other parties one of the guest was gluten free. So the chef had to use the gluten free soy sauce. The other couple in my party got very sick. almost like food poisoning. As we were ok , we can only assume it was they were allergic to the gluten free soy sauce. We've done Hibachi/Teppanyaki many times and never had any food related problems. 

On Wonder, our hibachi chef was Neil Diamond! Honest, he said he was, even sang Sweet Caroline..........sort of.  And of the 8 of us seated at his grille, he picked me out as the chief anti food waste officer when he offered seconds. I didn't disappoint him. Was a fun night and the food was good. Neil was by far the most animated and fun of the 3 chefs, the other  two seemed like they were presiding over funeral wakes. 🤣

It was nice on Harmony in February.  Food was really good.  That being said, the show aspect of it wasn't as good as ones we've experienced on land.  My kid surely enjoyed it, but I wouldn't pony up the extra cash for it again.  We had the UDP and another $45 bucks for it was a bit of a cash grab.

Worth??

anything is worth what someone else is willing to pay for.

That being said, is it the best food? no...is it the best entertainment? no...However I enjoy it. I have been all over the world and there are some things that I enjoy that most don't. Was it worth it for me ...sure I am on vacation and I like to splurge on things I don't normally do, eat, or see.

Will it be worth it for you?? no way to tell, we are not you.

Enjoy yourself, do things you don't normally do. Life is all about the experience!!

My 2 cents.  We did it once and enjoyed it, but we wouldn't pay to do it again.  From what I understand, the 'show' is always the same.  The food was subpar, overcooked/chewy lobster.  Overcooked steak, rubbery shrimp - you get the idea.  Another thing you may wish to consider:  there were 2 of us so we were seated with strangers.  Some of them were definitely not our cup of tea.

On 5/29/2023 at 5:00 PM, barjpoe said:

On the other side.  We were a party of 4 ; seated with a couple more parties. In one of the other parties one of the guest was gluten free. So the chef had to use the gluten free soy sauce. The other couple in my party got very sick. almost like food poisoning. As we were ok , we can only assume it was they were allergic to the gluten free soy sauce. We've done Hibachi/Teppanyaki many times and never had any food related problems. 

Gluten free soy sauce is just missing wheat, which is often a component of "regular" soy sauce. It can have a different taste, since the soy is fermented without the wheat, but I've never noticed it. I have to use it all the time because DD is gluten free.  You have no idea how happy I am that you said that they will cook with the gluten free soy sauce -- We have the hibachi booked for our upcoming cruise, and were hoping we would be able to keep it (will still check on board, of course, but this is encouraging). Sorry the other passengers got sick - that's strange.

• 4 months later...

I've done Hibachi 5 times over 3 ships. In general the show is so-so but the chef really makes a difference. It definitely doesn't match on land. However with the exception of one time I have found the food markedly better than on land. I don't understand the reason for the surcharge but I would spend the extra for the experience