Royal Caribbean Blog

Alaska 2021 - Maybe NOT a total loss? (topic edit as of 2021-05-21)

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Make that 3 of us.  ...but I think my strategy is changing.  I am not booking any more cruises...and I'm getting refunds for everything that gets cancelled from now on.  Really.   No, I mean REALLY.

You’ve been talking to @twangstertoo much lol. I seem to those words coming from him too a while ago. ?

We're not going to book anymore, either, for now.  I doubt the Norway GC will go, and I have doubts about my October Allure sailing.  I'm really hoping for next January's Odyssey sailing, because that's the one that we got the Owner's Suite for under $3700, and I'll never be able to afford one at a normal price.  At this point we're just putting money away for when we retire in 3 1/2 years and build our new house in Washington State.

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

2021?  

Sadly... No, but maybe for locals, just no foreigners.  

Thank You, was thinking of moving the B2B Navi May 21 to Harmony, wishful thinking!   Ugh!  I have Punta Cana booked as back up.

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We're not going to book anymore, either, for now.  I doubt the Norway GC will go, and I have doubts about my October Allure sailing.  I'm really hoping for next January's Odyssey sailing, because that's the one that we got the Owner's Suite for under $3700, and I'll never be able to afford one at a normal price.  At this point we're just putting money away for when we retire in 3 1/2 years and build our new house in Washington State.

What date?  Sailing her myself in January of 2022, I hope.

Has anyone done a land based vacation in San Juan? Specifically the Resorts!  Have a couple resorts in mind and since talking about cruising is getting us know where (haha) maybe I can get good advice on what the "other" people do when not cruising.

You have to dig to find that information. Here in Canada cases numbers are  WAY down along with hospitalizations in thr past few weeks.

But the media keeps adding up all cases(not active cases) to make it seem much worse. Here in Canada, the government is showing no signs of acknowledging or changing anything yet.

The Variant is really been great here as it gives the media and government a whole nother scare tactic and justification to keep the lockdowns going strong.....as you can see by cancelling cruising for over a year from now.

Unless they know something we dont.....?

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I read this morning that the number of COVID cases has dropped 40% in one week in the US and 30% worldwide in the past 3 weeks.  Do you think you will hear that in the news ?  Nope.

I heard it on MPR. 

Many epidemiologists, while pleased with this, are concerned that the new variants will jack everything back up, so they are basically just holding their breaths.  They hope they are wrong, but the one I follow hasn't been wrong yet.  They're hoping we can get enough people vaccinated before the variants cause more problems.  It's a race.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we do and we can get things back to "normal".

In the U.S. 35.2 Million people have been vaccinated as of Feb. 4. That is starting to make a huge difference in the numbers.  And we continue to vaccinate between 1-1.5 Million people A DAY. Look it up CDC COVID Data Tracker

I don't watch the news normally and go straight to the source. Local news is all too happy to scare people half to death.

You will never see the number of people who have RECOVERED from Coronavirus reported on the news, as that doesn't fit their narrative.

1 hour ago, emmef said:

You wil never see the number of people who have RECOVERED from Coronavirus reported on the news, as that doesn't fit their narrative.

Exaggeration, I see it frequently from various news sources.  The problem is the word "recovered".  It typically means "no longer needing isolation - no longer infectious".  It does not count the many long-haulers who still suffer physical problems weeks and months post-infection.

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I read this morning that the number of COVID cases has dropped 40% in one week in the US and 30% worldwide in the past 3 weeks.  Do you think you will hear that in the news ?  Nope.

Did you read that in the news?

Maybe it's just a US thing but if you read the news here there are plenty of stories on how effective the vaccine is.

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It does not count the many long-haulers who still suffer physical problems weeks and months post-infection.

True,  my best friend is a "long-hauler". She works in the medical field. She was sick for four months and unable to work. She is now (thankfully) turning a corner and starting to feel somewhat normal, but it has been 9 months since her positive test. Sorry about the exaggeration, it is just too easy to get frustrated by all of the gloom and doom. Yes, there are terrible cases, but it is also up to us as a people to persevere and look toward better days. 

15 hours ago, emmef said:

True,  my best friend is a "long-hauler". She works in the medical field. She was sick for four months and unable to work. She is now (thankfully) turning a corner and starting to feel somewhat normal, but it has been 9 months since her positive test. Sorry about the exaggeration, it is just too easy to get frustrated by all of the gloom and doom. Yes, there are terrible cases, but it is also up to us as a people to persevere and look toward better days. 

One of my colleagues had COVID-19 in the spring of 2020. He still suffers from insomnia and 'brain fog'. 

On 2/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm in the same boat (pun intended), not booking anymore until there is an actual plan to sail. Hopefully some of what I have booked goes but I'm tired of finding something interesting, getting it all setup and then watching it cancel again.

Not feeling like sailings are imminent the way I was in May and June and July and ...

• AshleyDillo changed the title to Alaska 2021 - Maybe NOT a total loss? (topic edit as of 2021-05-21)