Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Next round of cancellations has begun with NCL and MSC


Recommended Posts

From CruiseRadio.net -

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-sailings-through-june-30/

Quote

Norwegian Cruise Line has announced that they will be cancelling all sailings through June 30, 2020, resuming embarkations on July 1.

Previously, they had been planning to set sail starting on May 15, 2020.

https://cruiseradio.net/msc-cruises-cancels-sailings-through-july-10/

Quote

MSC Cruises announced on Wednesday morning that they will be extending their suspension of cruises through July 10.

Previously, the cruise line halted cruises until May 10. With the new “No Sail Order” which was implemented by the CDC in mid-April, cruise companies are having to move their return-to-service date.

 

I imagine it won't be long until we hear from RCL and CCL. 😞

But this is really weird when I just heard on this mornings Cruise Radio News podcast that Copenhagen and a couple other northern Europe cruise ports are planning to reopen in May. Maybe there are smaller / more boutique lines that will be allowed to sail due to much lower capacity and better ease of maintaining social distancing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hopeful that RCL will stick with June 12 (Of course, my next cruise is June 12).  I'm thinking these two announcements were just that they're not ready for the next couple of weeks and it makes more sense to push it out to ensure they are ready.

Since RCL had already pushed to June, maybe they'll stick with it.  Or maybe I'll join the growing ranks of those disappointed souls that have to push their much anticipated vacations out to a future date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mathbees said:

I'm still hopeful that RCL will stick with June 12 (Of course, my next cruise is June 12).  I'm thinking these two announcements were just that they're not ready for the next couple of weeks and it makes more sense to push it out to ensure they are ready.

Since RCL had already pushed to June, maybe they'll stick with it.  Or maybe I'll join the growing ranks of those disappointed souls that have to push their much anticipated vacations out to a future date.

I'm in the same boat.I have a June 12th on Harmony . Crossing fingers

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also been caught literally in the middle of this.  I had a B2B on Freedom, with the first leg leaving 6/7 (which has been officially cancelled by RC), and the second leg would had left on 6/14 (which HASN'T yet been cancelled).  I've already rebooked (same B2B ship & itinerary) for middle of October (10/11 & 10/18).  Either way, if RC cancels more sailings in June or not, I will not be going on the 6/14 sailing.  I am just hoping RC cancels so I can get the 125% FCC.  Otherwise, I will just cancel at 100% FCC under the cruise-with-confidence option.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The waiting is the worst part. I mean, I've already lost my June sailing (it was on the 4th), but just like everything else in this whole phased-opening world, it'd be nice to have some concrete answers.

Plus, I'm tired of hemming and hawing over snagging a deal on Oasis in June. #YOLOBookingProblems

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few days ago, P & O UK pushed their no-sail date out to 31 July making toast of our Norwegian fjords cruise with them at the end of June. It would have been our first with them and it was going to be on their brand new flagship, Iona. Who knows when that will even be delivered now, let alone sail with passengers on board. 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

From CruiseRadio.net -

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-sailings-through-june-30/

https://cruiseradio.net/msc-cruises-cancels-sailings-through-july-10/

 

I imagine it won't be long until we hear from RCL and CCL. 😞

But this is really weird when I just heard on this mornings Cruise Radio News podcast that Copenhagen and a couple other northern Europe cruise ports are planning to reopen in May. Maybe there are smaller / more boutique lines that will be allowed to sail due to much lower capacity and better ease of maintaining social distancing?

NCL made this announcement Last Week... I have a strong Feeling Royal and all cruise lines will Resume sailings on July 24 when the CDC order is lifted.. And I honestly think only cruises out of Florida will happen at first... Even Vicki Freed said not all cruises will resume at once and I just think cruises from Florida that go to Caribbean and Bahamas will start first.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I have a strong Feeling Royal and all cruise lines will Resume sailings on July 24 when the CDC order is lifted.. And I honestly think only cruises out of Florida will happen at first... Even Vicki Freed said not all cruises will resume at once and I just think cruises from Florida that go to Caribbean and Bahamas will start first.. 

If (big if) what I heard about Northern European ports starting to reopen next month is accurate, I’m thinking (hoping) that’s a way for existing transatlantic sailings to move forward. We shall see!

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

If (big if) what I heard about Northern European ports starting to reopen next month is accurate, I’m thinking (hoping) that’s a way for existing transatlantic sailings to move forward. We shall see!

That would be wonderful. I really do hope for your sake it does. I know you have been planning your cruise for a very long time. I am going to cross my fingers for you that it happens.. Actually when I made my statement above I kind of forgot Europe lol. I was more thinking I don't think Alaska, Canada New England, or ships leaving from New Jersey or Boston will be able to leave for a while. I Think they are just too strict up there.. I see so many people on these boards hoping for Oasis to leave from Jersey and I hope for those people's sake it does but my friends live in NYC and I am just not sure about Oasis from NJ this year... But I do hope your cruise will happen in Greenland and Iceland!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I was more thinking I don't think Alaska, Canada New England, or ships leaving from New Jersey or Boston will be able to leave for a while. I Think they are just too strict up there.

NJ will be reopening state and county parks this weekend, though visitors will still be required to wear masks. First tentative steps in trying to reopen, but many areas are still experiencing a steady (though slower) rate of new infections that shows we’re still far from out of the woods. NY is doing much better in terms of declining counts, and hospitals are slowing getting out of crisis mode there. But they, too, still have a long way to go from I’m seeing and reading. If the cruise port in Bayonne does reopen by August, I have no doubt it will be one of the very last places in this part of NJ (or even the entire state) to do so.

Iceland is still closed to tourists, from what I’ve heard. Didn’t hear it named in the list of places that thought they’d reopen in May, but they’ve had a very low rate of infection as well as very thorough testing relative to other European countries and (my opinion only) could be ready by June or July.

Still a lot of variables to deal with. Magic 8 Ball continues to say, “Unclear, check back later.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

NCL made this announcement Last Week... I have a strong Feeling Royal and all cruise lines will Resume sailings on July 24 when the CDC order is lifted.. And I honestly think only cruises out of Florida will happen at first... Even Vicki Freed said not all cruises will resume at once and I just think cruises from Florida that go to Caribbean and Bahamas will start first.. 

I’m friends with a former hotel director on Oasis. He told me he felt Oasis class would come back first. Hope so! My May Symphony (this weekend 🙁) got rebooked to October. I’m feeling somewhat optimistic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jill said:

I’m friends with a former hotel director on Oasis. He told me he felt Oasis class would come back first. Hope so! My May Symphony (this weekend 🙁) got rebooked to October. I’m feeling somewhat optimistic 

Yippee !  I hope that’s true.  My next is 1 August on Symphony. Next after that is Liberty in September. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jill said:

I’m friends with a former hotel director on Oasis. He told me he felt Oasis class would come back first. Hope so! My May Symphony (this weekend 🙁) got rebooked to October. I’m feeling somewhat optimistic 

I hope so too. My next cruise is Symphony on July 25.. I am hoping it goes.. I know the CDC order goes to July 24 so I am hoping Symphony will be one of the first to sail on the 25th!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jill said:

I’m friends with a former hotel director on Oasis. He told me he felt Oasis class would come back first. Hope so! My May Symphony (this weekend 🙁) got rebooked to October. I’m feeling somewhat optimistic 

+200 on hoping your friend is correct.   I'm probably booked on the toughest road to a comeback, Oasis out of NJ in October, but ever hopeful it will happen.

At least I have Symphony booked for October 2021. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 2:43 AM, JLMoran said:

If (big if) what I heard about Northern European ports starting to reopen next month is accurate, I’m thinking (hoping) that’s a way for existing transatlantic sailings to move forward. We shall see!

Which ports are rumoured to be reopening, Hurtigruten's CEO recently stated they were hoping to recommence cruise operations to some Norwegian ports in June (they are still running essential service to some ports currently), or was it some of the more mainstream ports you had in mind?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike.s said:

Which ports are rumoured to be reopening, Hurtigruten's CEO recently stated they were hoping to recommence cruise operations to some Norwegian ports in June (they are still running essential service to some ports currently), or was it some of the more mainstream ports you had in mind?

According to the April 29 Cruise Radio News Brief, the ports scheduled to reopen are Bordeaux on May 11, Helsinki on May 14, and Rotterdam on May 26. Said that they will enforce social distancing, limit the number of people allowed in the cruise terminal at one time, and have more hand sanitizer stations available.

I wasn't aware that Bordeaux had a cruise port, I guess that's more for river cruises or smaller / boutique cruise lines? Helsinki and Rotterdam are, to me, more-mainstream ports in northern Europe. But they probably still get much less traffic than ports like Copenhagen or Amsterdam.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're on the Adventure 10 day late July cruise (out of Bayonne), so my fingers are still crossed that July 24 is the correct start date!!  Of course, I still have to get my vacation time approved (I applied for it on Aug 1 of last year, informing them that it was a scheduled cruise that already had a deposit, but my dept sucks at approving anything that far in advance), and the summer schedule just came out with me on it for those days.  They haven't been denied officially, but they're not approved yet either, and it's complicated by the fact that I work in a hospital and am considered an essential employee, so all vacations are currently on hold for now.  We can still cancel up to 48 hrs before, but I'm really hoping to go on this cruise...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...