nrgMike

Stuff while away

54 minutes ago, JC123 said:

Do you guys think it would be save to leave a Kindle in your bag beside the pool? 

Personally, I wouldn't. For vacations, I always pick up a hard copy book that I can take with me to the pool or beach. Easy peasy and not too expensive to buy another one of those vs losing something like a Kindle to sticky fingers. But that's just my opinion since you asked. You have to decide how much risk you are will to accept and act accordingly. I tend to prefer a low risk profile myself.

Do some research then go through this risk equation that is used by many in environments where risk has to be calculated often as part of business:

Risk = Threat x Vulnerability x Cost

Threat = the frequency of potentially adverse events. Since threat (by this definition) is always a frequency, it's always potentially measurable. And since the events are only potentially adverse, threat per se is not necessarily dangerous or detrimental.

Doing a quick few minutes of research tells me that "In 2018, cruise lines reported 120 alleged crimes from the following categories: homicide, suspicious death, missing US national, sexual assault, kidnapping, assault with serious bodily injury, firing or tampering with vessel, and theft of over $10,000.

Cruise lines reported 82 alleged sexual assaults from 2018 to the DOT, more than any other crime. Theft of over $10,000 was the second-most common crime, with 22 alleged incidents reported from 2018."

Keep in mind that not all crimes are reported and there is an element of PR at work when dealing with things on their end. So, in my assessment, I'd put the threat of theft as fairly low based on statistics but not impossible.

Vulnerability

Vulnerability is the likelihood of success of a particular threat category against a particular organization. Notice that if this were the likelihood of success of a particular attack, the likelihood would be either 0 or 1 (0 percent or 100 percent). It's hard to predict the likelihood of success for theft so in an equation like this, I'd just go with a 50 for "50/50" chance.

Cost

Cost is the total cost of the impact of a particular threat experienced by a vulnerable target. So how much would it cost to replace your Kindle (not just the item itself but the "man hours" to replace it, annoyance, contents, personal information tied to it, etc)

Risk
It's not threat, vulnerability or cost alone that really matters, but risk. As you can see from the risk equation, for there to be any risk there must be at least some threat and vulnerability and cost. The concept we all learned in sixth grade-that anything multiplied by zero is zero-means that if any one of the three components of risk is zero, then the risk is also zero.

For any decision you are trying to make that involves some risk, I find breaking it down with this equation and then deciding if you can accept the cost of loss and accept the risk then act accordingly. But this is a decision YOU have to make We can't make it for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

OH GOD yes.   Caveat we always live in the Solarium, and typically since the loungers are so close you usually strike up conversations with the people next to you.  The Solarium pools also usually have the same people day after day.  They also usually float to the same places to sit everyday.  

My hubby and I would leave the loungers with his tablet and head phones on his lounger, mine had a kindle.  Dip in the pool for 30 mins and they were still there.  We would go to WJ grab a plate and bring it back to eat in the Solarium, gone out of sight for 15 mins., my stuff was still there.  

Phone was the only thing we took with us bc we traveled in a group and used WhatsApp to keep in touch with each other.

Great - glad to hear I won’t have to be paranoid when I leave it for a few mins! 🙂 

58 minutes ago, JennyJenny said:

Personally, I wouldn't. For vacations, I always pick up a hard copy book that I can take with me to the pool or beach. Easy peasy and not too expensive to buy another one of those vs losing something like a Kindle to sticky fingers. But that's just my opinion since you asked. You have to decide how much risk you are will to accept and act accordingly. I tend to prefer a low risk profile myself.

Do some research then go through this risk equation that is used by many in environments where risk has to be calculated often as part of business:

Risk = Threat x Vulnerability x Cost

Threat = the frequency of potentially adverse events. Since threat (by this definition) is always a frequency, it's always potentially measurable. And since the events are only potentially adverse, threat per se is not necessarily dangerous or detrimental.

Doing a quick few minutes of research tells me that "In 2018, cruise lines reported 120 alleged crimes from the following categories: homicide, suspicious death, missing US national, sexual assault, kidnapping, assault with serious bodily injury, firing or tampering with vessel, and theft of over $10,000.

Cruise lines reported 82 alleged sexual assaults from 2018 to the DOT, more than any other crime. Theft of over $10,000 was the second-most common crime, with 22 alleged incidents reported from 2018."

Keep in mind that not all crimes are reported and there is an element of PR at work when dealing with things on their end. So, in my assessment, I'd put the threat of theft as fairly low based on statistics but not impossible.

Vulnerability

Vulnerability is the likelihood of success of a particular threat category against a particular organization. Notice that if this were the likelihood of success of a particular attack, the likelihood would be either 0 or 1 (0 percent or 100 percent). It's hard to predict the likelihood of success for theft so in an equation like this, I'd just go with a 50 for "50/50" chance.

Cost

Cost is the total cost of the impact of a particular threat experienced by a vulnerable target. So how much would it cost to replace your Kindle (not just the item itself but the "man hours" to replace it, annoyance, contents, personal information tied to it, etc)

Risk
It's not threat, vulnerability or cost alone that really matters, but risk. As you can see from the risk equation, for there to be any risk there must be at least some threat and vulnerability and cost. The concept we all learned in sixth grade-that anything multiplied by zero is zero-means that if any one of the three components of risk is zero, then the risk is also zero.

For any decision you are trying to make that involves some risk, I find breaking it down with this equation and then deciding if you can accept the cost of loss and accept the risk then act accordingly. But this is a decision YOU have to make We can't make it for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for that - interesting way to look at it - never thought to search the reported crimes on the ships - just assume every is always in a blissful holiday mood (evidently not😂).

Thanks - I appreciate that😊

Just now, JC123 said:

Thanks for that - interesting way to look at it - never thought to search the reported crimes on the ships - just assume every is always in a blissful holiday mood (evidently not😂).

Thanks - I appreciate that😊

You are most welcome.

My job, essentially, is to manage risk not just to my business but to help my clients manage theirs.

I am doing this constantly so it's second nature to me. I realize, though, that others don't do this as a matter of course so figured if I shared then they could!

One of my other responsibilities is to educate others on security and awareness so I am afraid I just tend to do that out of habit ☺️

I think the risk of theft on board a cruise ship is like anywhere else. Theft is generally a act of opportunity. If you are a "thief" on land, you are going to be a "thief" on a cruise.You have to make it difficult for someone to steal your stuff, like placing it under your lounger, placing your SeaPass or other valuables in the toes of your shoes, under your lounger. Best thing would be to take little as possible with you when you are out of your cabin.

You can do little things to help deter a thief, but you can't really eliminate the threat all together.

Happy cruising!

I am a Jersey girl.  We go to the shore, not the beach.  Where does everyone leave their car keys, and wallet?  In the toes of their shoes holding down the corners of their beach blanket.

Seriously, you have a much higher chance of theft occurring at the shore/beach/water park than on a cruise ship. 

These chairs are so flipping close it is insane.  When I say close I mean the chair handles for your arms are bumped up next to each other with no room, unlike at a beach where they could feet apart.  When we went to horseshoe we only took our sea pass and govt id to get back on the ship, plus small amt of cash to put in to the toe of the shoe.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:39 AM, Pima1988 said:

These chairs are so flipping close it is insane.  When I say close I mean the chair handles for your arms are bumped up next to each other with no room, unlike at a beach where they could feet apart. 

Agree. This is one of the main reasons I'm using RCCL less and less.  The lounge chairs touch each other and you sometimes have to crawl across a sea of other lounge chairs to get to yours.  Sorry, I don't want to be that chummy with a stranger sleeping 3 inches away, along with his half-eaten hot dog.  If it's so important to the bottom line that you have to cram that many people together then I don't want to be there.  JMO.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:18 PM, Yo2slick said:

What about doing shore excursions where you will be in the water like Swimming with dolphins and Stringray City?  Do they have lockers available as well?

Yes they do on that particular excursion.