SLJ

San Juan on our own?

4 minutes ago, SLJ said:

Thanks Jane!  My plan right now is to visit Fort San Cristobal first since it's closer to the port. Then lunch. (I'm so looking forward to trying stuffed mofongo). Then we'll see how much time we'll have to explore after that. Probably won't be able to do both forts this time.

Cristobal is a very cool fort and they have some great info about life during the time it was used.  I found mofungo good but very rich.  A shared amount was plenty!  I can’t wait to go back!!!  Jane

20 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I'm in Passaic County, originally from Bergen County. Howdy, neighbor!

Ah, you're from the Taylor Ham part of the state, lol.  

I started your blog yesterday & I just finished with my morning coffee (It's nice when my boss is away.)  Really enjoyed getting a first time perspective of her & your pictures were amazing. 

@twangster Thanks for letting me know that the ship stops in San Juan in a different spot than it ports out of. We leave out of San Juan every January but I've never actually stopped there as a port. I am doing that for the first time in December. Good to know that it'll be different than Pan American. You are a wealth of knowledge! 

You need to think about the public transportation in San Juan.  There is a bus route that skirts the outside of the city and a tram that does the inside of the city.  When you get off the ship and come to the street right in front of the ship,  the bus stop will be to the left a short distance.  Look for the bus stop sign.   It is a good way to see the city and it has a stop right in front of the fort.  The tram like transportation is the inter part of Old San Juan.  The best part.....it is free.

Food in Old San Juan with children.

#1. Pizza.  Yes, I know, you are in Puerto Rico. But this pizza is good, really, AND they have Belgian style craft beer(s) on tap, both items are just not on your ship. Pizza Rustica, corner of Calle Forteleza and Calle Tanca. Ask for a table upstairs, it's less "barzy" 

#2. La Bombadera Cafe, Calle San Francisco, has great Mallorca breakfast sandwiches.  Oh, and GREAT coffee, what coffee used to be before Starbucks. It's cheap, too. 

#3 The Parrot Club, this is pricey, though, and will take up too much of your day. The Mofongo and the ribs are both good, and unlike anything I can get here in Ithaca.

2:00 PM is WAY to early for this port. 

P.S. The gift shop in the fort has cold bottled water and gator-aide for sale, and there are restrooms too.

Have fun!