Royal Caribbean Blog

So where do you think Oasis 4 will be homeported ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping RC would invest in a Jacksonville port.  Jacksonville has a large airport and would shorten driving time for a number of people.  The current Jax cruise port only uses smaller ships due to a bridge.  A newer port would have to be closer to the naval base so maybe its a security thing.  Has anyone heard any talk about a new Jax cruise port?

I was hoping RC would invest in a Jacksonville port.  Jacksonville has a large airport and would shorten driving time for a number of people.  The current Jax cruise port only uses smaller ships due to a bridge.  A newer port would have to be closer to the naval base so maybe its a security thing.  Has anyone heard any talk about a new Jax cruise port?

I haven't heard a thing.  RC is big in Fort Lauderdale, which seems to be there big presence outside of Port Canaveral or Miami.

• 2 months later...

So I read someone's comment that perhaps Oasis 4 will be going to China.

I wonder if they might consider that they're overexposed in China...

I read an article about RCL and South American cruises, and that they're pulling out of Brazil due to the devaluation of the local currency in relationship to the US Dollar.  IIRC the value fell something like 22% in the last quarter - so basically, a Brazilian booked a cruise over the summer at the equivalent of $2,000 US Dollars, but by the time final payment was due the local currency was only worth $1,560.  They can't sustain that for very long.  I imagine something like that could happen with China.

Well, they've proven that Europe is do-able, as both Oasis and Allure did a series of sailings in the Med while they were back overe there for their 5 yr drydocks.  

Wherever it is, it will need to have a terminal big enough to turn that many pax around, a supply chain that can stock a ship that size, and a homeport that is deep enough and wide enough for it to get in and out.  That narrows the possibilities down a bit.  

After that, you need ports of call that can be reached from that homeport and are also deep enough and wide enough to accomodate it.  Also need those ports of call to have the capability of accepting that many pax.  (remember, they don't do Cayman on the classic western because you can't tender that many pax in a reasonable timeframe.  This was a big part of why Labadee finally built a pier.)

I don't know anything about China or Asia/Pacific ports so I have no idea who/where would meet these needs.  I just can't see all 4 staying on Florida's east coast though...

So I read someone's comment that perhaps Oasis 4 will be going to China. You really think so ? I'm betting on Europe.

What do you think ?

On our last cruise it was mentioned an Oasis Class will head to Australia. Unless RCI build a terminal at Port Botany I cant see this eventuating. Ports will also be limited in and around the South Pacific.. Definitely a nice pipe dream though

Be interesting to see if they end up with 4 in Florida, I think they are pretty well locked into 3 with the expanded/custom terminals in Canaveral and Lauderdale and now talking about putting a terminal in Miami (think that is definite but I could be wrong and don't recall the completion timing).

I think the ships are great attractors for new cruisers but the itineraries are really tough for me to get excited about having been to all the ports they offer multiple times.

If they did end up with 4 here hopefully it dilutes the pricing a bit to where taking a turn on one makes more sense :)

My guess is that all 4 will be ported in Florida with 1 probably seasonally going to Europe for the summer and coming back in the winter. I just don't see them going any where else right know because number one their size, two no tendering at ports they have to dock, and three dry dock every 5 years.

With Oasis going to Port Canaveral soon, does the possibility of Oasis 4 going to China increase? Or, will Oasis head over there after a short stay at Port Canaveral?

I would love to see more options out of Jacksonville too. I am flying there the day before my next Port Canaveral embarkation and spending a half day in St Augustine.

With Oasis going to Port Canaveral soon, does the possibility of Oasis 4 going to China increase? Or, will Oasis head over there after a short stay at Port Canaveral?

I would love to see more options out of Jacksonville too. I am flying there the day before my next Port Canaveral embarkation and spending a half day in St Augustine.

If you've never been to St Augustine make sure you try the Columbia Restaurant and the Lightner Museum

• 2 weeks later...

The Asian Market has been very strong for RCI and they have done well with the larger ships here. I would think it is time to more a Oasis Class Ship here. Between the northern market China / Singapore and the southern market Australia it can and will support a larger ship. It also allows for higher profits as they charge the same basic rates but have many lower costs. My cruise in August which has three Philippines posts had all the tours marked up at least four times what I could purchase for without using RCI. Asia is a gold mine that they want to harvest.