Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Stupid Nor’Easter...


Recommended Posts

The nor’Easter that went through the NE US has impacted cruise itineraries this week.

Nassau port was closed today as a result of sea swells and it was a roller coaster ride from Port Everglades last night. Turned today into a sea day and a modification of the ports of call for the rest of the week.

Was:

Nassau, sea day, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, sea day, sea day

Is now:

sea day, sea day, San Juan, St. Thomas, sea day, Nassau

No complaints, just an illustration of how things far away can impact your plans. As a cruiser it’s important to be accepting of the unexpected out of control of the cruise line and not let it ruin your vacation. 

Now...off to the afternoon set of laps on deck 5 followed by a post 4:30 trip to the bar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you leave from FLL on Sat or Sun?....had someone on there I know who sent out some video of their closet door sliding back and forth with the swells...and it was their first cruise..hope it all goes much smoother!

 

We are getting a nor'easter later this week and another one potentially next week...but nothing that should affect cruises down there...just lucky us up here!..lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some video footage from Grandeur as it made its way back up to the Chesapeake showing wave action the likes of which I've never seen.... Look on the Grandeur OTS Fan Group on Facebook ..... insane ...

Plus, due to the water being pushed out of the Bay .... The Carnival Pride was held outside the bay Saturday Night ..... didn't arrive back into port until about 3:30pm yesterday (instead of the normal 7:00 am) ---  for those that know the layout of the Port of Baltimore, the parking lot didn't even open up until after 8:00 pm --- the ship was still in port as of midnight, although, when I got up at 6:00 this morning, it was just below the MD/VA line headed south.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Did you leave from FLL on Sat or Sun?....had someone on there I know who sent out some video of their closet door sliding back and forth with the swells...and it was their first cruise..hope it all goes much smoother!

 

We are getting a nor'easter later this week and another one potentially next week...but nothing that should affect cruises down there...just lucky us up here!..lol

Sunday. I knew when I woke up at 4am with the curtains brushing the side of the bed we weren’t stopping in Nassau. 

The weather is fine...just swells from the north.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly thought the cabin next to us left their balcony door unlocked and it kept waking us up as it slid open and closed as the ship lurched back and forth this morning.  Swoooosh - clunk - swoooosh - clang - swoooosh - clunk . . . 

After meeting the neighbors I am now 99% sure it was actually their small children running back and forth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, coneyraven said:

There's some video footage from Grandeur as it made its way back up to the Chesapeake showing wave action the likes of which I've never seen.... Look on the Grandeur OTS Fan Group on Facebook ..... insane ...

Plus, due to the water being pushed out of the Bay .... The Carnival Pride was held outside the bay Saturday Night ..... didn't arrive back into port until about 3:30pm yesterday (instead of the normal 7:00 am) ---  for those that know the layout of the Port of Baltimore, the parking lot didn't even open up until after 8:00 pm --- the ship was still in port as of midnight, although, when I got up at 6:00 this morning, it was just below the MD/VA line headed south.

Wow!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some photos of the Potomac river (that flows into the Chesapeake) from last weekend.  I fish on this river a lot and have seen some low tides due to a N/NW wind...but nothing like this.  To be honest, these pictures don't even do it justice.  I happened to drive over the river last Saturday and was amazed at how far the water was out.  They said the Chesapeake had low tides that were at least 4 feet below normal.

http://thezebra.org/2018/03/04/alexandrias-potomac-blows-out-to-sea-due-to-high-winds/

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gears said:

No complaints, just an illustration of how things far away can impact your plans. As a cruiser it’s important to be accepting of the unexpected out of control of the cruise line and not let it ruin your vacation.

It's also a great example that bad weather is not limited to hurricane season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

YIKES !  I guess we're in for another nor'easter later this week.  I hope this one isn't as bad as the one over the weekend.  It seems like it's going farther north than this time. I'm in VA.

Yeah, my DD came home for spring break on Saturday -- she could have left Friday by herself, but she had passengers who couldn't leave til Saturday. Turns out, she would have had trouble Friday since the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was closed...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...