Chops+1 is back… with one small problem

17 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

When the bottom falls out of specialty dining package purchases, maybe there will be a specialty dining card trotted out mid cruise, like the 10 drink card? 🤔

Royal sends people around offering discounted dining reservations and the waitstaff in their restaurants will also make pitches when bookings are low.

7 minutes ago, Rackham said:

Royal sends people around offering discounted dining reservations and the waitstaff in their restaurants will also make pitches when bookings are low.

This happened on Adventure last week. They were offering 30% off. We already had specialty lunches booked so we weren't interested in additional meals.

On 5/6/2024 at 7:29 PM, Rackham said:

Experienced that on Mariner last November. Had to negotiate the carnival barkers stationed outside Chops & Jamie's on the way in to Windjammer. They were going at it pretty heavy, could have mistaken it for a Florida timeshare sales presentation. 🤪

On 5/7/2024 at 12:29 AM, Rackham said:

One time DH, SIL, BIL and I watched a guy spend over half an hour at a neighbouring table in the WJ trying to talk the people there into booking specialty. They probably did it in the end just to get rid of him. He must have thought we looked like cheapskates though as he never even glanced at us. 😂

As funny as it is, seems like a typical Cruise Planner misfire where something went live before intended, since there don't seem to be any discounts applied.

Across my bookings, the Chops + Your Choice (with gratuity included) is *slightly* cheaper than individually booking Chops and the most expensive option.

My guess is once it is permanent and sales are applied it will be an attractive alternative and/or a replacement for the 3-night plan.

20 hours ago, ZBrady said:

As funny as it is, seems like a typical Cruise Planner misfire where something went live before intended, since there don't seem to be any discounts applied.

Across my bookings, the Chops + Your Choice (with gratuity included) is *slightly* cheaper than individually booking Chops and the most expensive option.

My guess is once it is permanent and sales are applied it will be an attractive alternative and/or a replacement for the 3-night plan.

This is my assumption as well.

Any combo of Chops + a specialty booked individually on my upcoming Mariner trip is cheaper than the "Chops + Your Choice" deal. Even if you look at them "full price" they're either about the same or like $4 cheaper in the case of Izumi (because of the $15 cover charge they add if you do Hibachi).

Another thought is they're definitely using it as a stepping stone to get people to get the UDP since the price difference is roughly the same as doing 1 more specialty dinner. Why have 2 when you can have "Unlimited"? At least that's the logic I'd use to get it if I were to do so. 😅

On 5/6/2024 at 8:47 AM, FionaMG said:

On one of mine it's cheaper to buy the 3-night package. 😂

Screenshot_20240506-134542.thumb.png.d921367a07ff69ffb2e0dd1c56be3089.png

On my Aug 25. Symphony of the sea.  Mine 3 nites Dining Package is @ $159.99.  which that's crazy.  

1 hour ago, KevinK said:

On my Aug 25. Symphony of the sea.  Mine 3 nites Dining Package is @ $159.99.  which that's crazy.  

Back in the day when speciality restaurants charged $25 I used to think that was a lot but the prices they're charging now are just plain bonkers. And yet someone must be paying them. You can't help but wonder how much longer it will be till common sense returns and with it more sensible prices. 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I wonder why the changed the name from “Chops + 1” to “Chops +  Your Choice” ?

I'm assuming to reduce confusion. Look at how many questions on the forms would never have been asked if people bothered to read all the text on a cruise planner page. In this case, I'm willing to bet Royal has dealt with many angry passangers that "Chops + 1" didn't mean the guest booking the reservation gets to bring a guest as part of the booking. i.e. people were taking the +1 to mean an extra guest versus getting to dine at Chops plus another specialty resturant during the cruise.

15 minutes ago, Rackham said:

I'm assuming to reduce confusion. Look at how many questions on the forms would never have been asked if people bothered to read all the text on a cruise planner page. In this case, I'm willing to bet Royal has dealt with many angry passangers that "Chops + 1" didn't mean the guest booking the reservation gets to bring a guest as part of the booking. i.e. people were taking the +1 to mean an extra guest versus getting to dine at Chops plus another specialty resturant during the cruise.

I never thought about that....it never occurred to me that anyone would think they could bring another person.  I think you're right !

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

My Icon sailing has a Giovanni's Night 1 + Your Choice which I've never seen before.

image.png.856239f218640e34e2a203a8cdbeb109.png

I've never seen this either.  Only 1 Left; my A$$.

Doesn't give you an option at all or force you to pick a time like the other dining packages usually do.

Something very strange with this new marketing ploy...

My CP Dining only shows "Gratuities Included" on Chops + Your Choice.  Why?  Seems like the smart marketing thing to do is to just sock you with the grats at checkout (like the normal CP Dining Package purchase).  Oh, maybe Royal IT and Marketing have teamed up to keep us on our toes!  Nah; surely not. 🤣

image.thumb.png.32dc43d20c7270f0f0252c942622a09f.png