Less chaotic place to get food/drink after boarding Mariner?

Will soon be on Mariner for the first time.  Boarding probably around 11 or 11:30.  Do you guys have any recommendations for where you like to head immediately to sit, get something light to eat, have a drink or two on Mariner?  (Thinking something away from the hubbub of the WJ and the masses.)  We like to sit and relax a while before the cabins open up.  We're diamond and will have an owner's suite, if that opens up any additional possibilities for a place to do as I mentioned in that first hour or two aboard.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Last trip on Mariner (11/23) , the minute we completed the muster drill routine, we entered the ship and fixed my gaze on the Schooner Bar, which was not busy. Since we tend to check in around 1230, it wasn't long after we finished our drinks and the cabins were open for occupancy. Went to our cabin, dumped the carry on and backpack, attacked the cheese platter we ordered; that held us until dinner at the MDR. 

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You can always consider pre-purchasing lunch at a specialty restaurant.  This is what we do.  Yes, it's additional $$ but it is so worth it for a calm, enjoyable boarding day reward.  Prices have gone up but lunch is still one of the few bargains left on Royal Caribbean.

I've heard that its National Lunch Day on the Saturday before Mom's day (5/11) so Royal may run a special pricing that day.

12 minutes ago, Snotarni said:

Last year, Mariner was "testing" an embarkation lunch in the MDR...  we tried it and it was very good, and more importantly, it was quiet and not crowded.  We're going on in a couple weeks, not sure they're doing that anymore, and/if it's still the same quiet/uncrowded experience.

Agree.  We tried it too and it was surprisingly good.

6 hours ago, Snotarni said:

Last year, Mariner was "testing" an embarkation lunch in the MDR...  we tried it and it was very good, and more importantly, it was quiet and not crowded.  We're going on in a couple weeks, not sure they're doing that anymore, and/if it's still the same quiet/uncrowded experience.

They didn't offer it on any recent sailings, I asked about it in Jan and everyone (crew members) was unsure if it would be back. 

On 3/30/2024 at 9:45 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

You can always consider pre-purchasing lunch at a specialty restaurant.  This is what we do.  Yes, it's additional $$ but it is so worth it for a calm, enjoyable boarding day reward.  Prices have gone up but lunch is still one of the few bargains left on Royal Caribbean.

This is my go to move as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 9:45 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

You can always consider pre-purchasing lunch at a specialty restaurant.  This is what we do.  Yes, it's additional $$ but it is so worth it for a calm, enjoyable boarding day reward.

WAAAYTOOO, you guys (and others) have convinced us that this should be our plan.  We'll be on Mariner, so chose to book Jamie's.  Thanks for your help!

7 hours ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

WAAAYTOOO, you guys (and others) have convinced us that this should be our plan.  We'll be on Mariner, so chose to book Jamie's.  Thanks for your help!

We had Jamie's on Anthem a few months ago for lunch on embarkation day and it was excellent. So relaxing, nice and quiet. There were people that came up to the hostess to eat there but were turned away, reservations only. It was busy but still relaxing and delicious. 

Specialty dining on embarkation day is definitely the way to go. The wife and I have been doing this for the last few cruises, it makes everything much calmer and you're away from the chaos. Also by the time you finish lunch the ship has had a chance to calm down. So much more relaxing.

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The windjammer isn't chaotic unless you are in line right when it opens.

Every time I post something about how the WJ isn’t busy or chaotic when it first opens I get crickets so I basically gave up.

It takes a while for people to board, explore, find their way around, take care of issues, etc. I love being one of the first people there.

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

Every time I post something about how the WJ isn’t busy or chaotic when it first opens I get crickets so I basically gave up.

It takes a while for people to board, explore, find their way around, take care of issues, etc. I love being one of the first people there.

We always go in about 10 minutes after it opens. No lines, plenty of window seats available.