Can Deluxe Package get even cheaper than "50% OFF FOR SECOND GUEST"?

The title says it all, actually...

Got a 50% off for a second person offer for my Deluxe package for a cruise in Oct 2024 (effective price is $75 p.p. per day). But still pricey, need to drink too much to at least get to ROI, don't want to waste health and gain back those hard-lost kilos for drinking so much. But I also don't want to constantly keep those calculations in my head and get a possible regret that I could've saved more by buying the package those days when I over indulge.

Is there any possibility that there is going to be a further discount or is this a theoretically top discount?

The percentage discounts are largely meaningless. If you monitor the cruise planner prices regularly you will often see that the final price with a 30% discount is cheaper than with a 50% discount!

The only number that matters is the one on the bottom line!

The best strategy is to buy when you see a price you can live with and then keep checking. If the prices goes down later on, you can cancel and rebook.

3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

The percentage discounts are largely meaningless. If you monitor the cruise planner prices regularly you will often see that the final price with a 30% discount is cheaper than with a 50% discount!

The best strategy is to buy when you see a price you can live with and then keep checking. If the prices goes down later on, you can cancel and rebook.

Use this strategy. Assume most drinks are $14 if you're drinking cocktails and figure out what you realistically could pay out of pocket depending on your drinking habits. I've learned that getting it for a longer cruise is absolutely a waste of money for me. But I consider it for shorter sailings. 

24 minutes ago, b_resh_uh said:

The 30% discount is cheaper than the 50% discount because the 30% discount applies to both passengers.  The 50% discount only applies to the second passenger which is essentially a 25% discount for each passenger.

The 30% discount for each passenger is the best discount I've ever seen.  It ends up being about $70/person/day on most cruises at today's prices.  Obviously, some itineraries might be slightly higher or lower.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Can I really cancel a purchased package? Or do you mean cancel the whole cruise and then rebook? Because the second option is not suitable for me 'cause I booked a rate with a NRD.

58 minutes ago, VasiliiNorris said:

Can I really cancel a purchased package? Or do you mean cancel the whole cruise and then rebook? Because the second option is not suitable for me 'cause I booked a rate with a NRD.

Yes, you can cancel any cruise planner purchase up until the cruise planner closes, which is usually about 3 days before your cruise. You'll find the exact cut-off date for your particular cruise by scrolling down to the bottom of the page. The money will be refunded to your original form of payment, which may take a few days, depending on your bank.

If you want to repurchase because you saw the item at a cheaper price you do have to pay for it a second time round, so you'll be out the additional cost until the refund hits your account.

Just look at the dollar amount - that is the price per person with all discounts baked in (it really doesn't matter on 2nd person or not as my wife doesn't drink alcohol due to medical reasons and I get the displayed price when I book it).  

My Wonder sailing has been $72.99 pretty consistently - hasn't gone lower (aside from targeted senior citizen sales which I don't qualify for) but does go up in the day or two when they aren't running a "sale".  Its like Kohl's...always a sale aside from a couple days every month.

On 3/1/2024 at 8:57 AM, VasiliiNorris said:

Got a 50% off for a second person offer for my Deluxe package for a cruise in Oct 2024 (effective price is $75 p.p. per day). But still pricey, need to drink too much to at least get to ROI, don't want to waste health and gain back those hard-lost kilos for drinking so much. But I also don't want to constantly keep those calculations in my head and get a possible regret that I could've saved more by buying the package those days when I over indulge.

Is there any possibility that there is going to be a further discount or is this a theoretically top discount?

Fully agree! Sale % off is absolutely meaningless. The underlying "full" price of most items can change up to your sail date. Also, BOGO pricing is a little deceptive... a BOGO 50% sale is effectively only 25% off for two packages.

As an example, the BOGO 50% sale for our last 2 sailings on Wonder and our upcoming Icon sailing for the DBP was $72.99... Just recently they had a 35% off sale for National Margarita Day and the price was $67.99. We cancelled and re-purchased at that price.

image.png.269b90b3ae7e82387588e295bd56f6f3.png

Today, "Royal math" calculates BOGO 50% at $77.99 (not the usual $72.99 BOGO 50% pricing)... lol!  😆

image.png.67cc9855127106006244fd8d7bdceb3b.png

As most would suggest, purchase when you are comfortable with the DBP price and cancel/re-purchase if the price goes down. As mentioned, you can pretend to purchase the DBP during a sale to get the current pricing to help make the decision.

Hi everyone;

I was wondering about this pricing also...I've booked a 7-day with family on the Anthem of The Seas this month.

In the past six months I've perused this board and seen OTHER cruises and/or specific boats where this package gets down to somewhere in the $65-$67/day range (which I'm assuming is in line with this aforementioned 35% off Margarita Day sale) and this lasts one or two days. I've even seen someone post a picture of a sale price in this range, physically written up on a sign, and advertised as they entered the ramp to board their cruise.

For some reason, the one we've booked NEVER gets to this price; (only as low as $72.99 as someone else posted: PRETTY CONSISTENTLY). We've been monitoring the RC site pretty closely and did not see the 35% discount for our sailing on Margarita Day. As someone else ALSO posted, I feel that for a longer cruise, $73 or $78/day is overpriced and a waste, but could be O.K. for shorter sailings. 

Has anyone ever seen ANY Anthem of The Seas cruise going to the Bahamas lower than $72.99/day? Seems ridiculous if lots of these cruises are visiting similar locations during the same seasons, yet receive different discounts.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:25 AM, RichRe01 said:

Hi everyone;

I was wondering about this pricing also...I've booked a 7-day with family on the Anthem of The Seas this month.

In the past six months I've perused this board and seen OTHER cruises and/or specific boats where this package gets down to somewhere in the $65-$67/day range (which I'm assuming is in line with this aforementioned 35% off Margarita Day sale) and this lasts one or two days. I've even seen someone post a picture of a sale price in this range, physically written up on a sign, and advertised as they entered the ramp to board their cruise.

For some reason, the one we've booked NEVER gets to this price; (only as low as $72.99 as someone else posted: PRETTY CONSISTENTLY). We've been monitoring the RC site pretty closely and did not see the 35% discount for our sailing on Margarita Day. As someone else ALSO posted, I feel that for a longer cruise, $73 or $78/day is overpriced and a waste, but could be O.K. for shorter sailings. 

Has anyone ever seen ANY Anthem of The Seas cruise going to the Bahamas lower than $72.99/day? Seems ridiculous if lots of these cruises are visiting similar locations during the same seasons, yet receive different discounts.

One of the biggest differences that influences the prices, and you are seeing it, is number of sea days. More sea days, generally means higher prices. The pricing has nothing to do with where the ship is going or seasons (generally) 

Also, generally speaking, the larger, newer ships charge more 

@RichRe01 Ship, capacity and sailing length/date will determine the price of the DX, so what someone pays will hardly match what you pay. In fact even the same ship and itinerary will differ based on these factors. I am doing a B2B2B on Freedom in May. The first 4n and the 3n with no sea days has the same price for the DX. The last leg which is a 4night is the cheapest. Someone on an Anthem sailing before and after you probably has a different price. Which is to say reprice if you can but find a price you are comfortable paying and don't worry about others.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:09 AM, TXcruzer said:

One of the biggest differences that influences the prices, and you are seeing it, is number of sea days. More sea days, generally means higher prices. The pricing has nothing to do with where the ship is going or seasons (generally) 

Also, generally speaking, the larger, newer ships charge more 

Hey TX;

Thanks for your insight! As (somewhat) rationale as that sounds, its still ridiculously egregious. I mean the package is priced per day, not by number of days. Why would I drink anymore per day than anyone with less days at sea? And most every one of these sailings have time off of the boat in ports or excursions, so sea time can't really differ all that much; so still can't justify a sailing like mine not qualifying for 35% off.

Wow; haven't even boarded yet (my first cruise) and RC leaving me very bad-taste-in-the-mouth-ish feeling 😆. The idea that its a newer boat doesn't cut it either...correct me if I'm wrong but, somewhere on these boards I thought I read an Icon of The Seas sailing got the 35% discount. But yes, I know those are far more expensive sailings to begin with.....🙄.

On 3/9/2024 at 11:32 AM, VasiliiNorris said:

Well, since posting the package has become only more expensive and is now $80/day p.p.

Hi Vasilii;

Yes, well for mine its back to the $77.99 as of a few days ago. Haven't seen my sailing's bev. package below $72.99.😞

2 hours ago, RichRe01 said:

Hey TX;

Thanks for your insight! As (somewhat) rationale as that sounds, its still ridiculously egregious. I mean the package is priced per day, not by number of days. Why would I drink anymore per day than anyone with less days at sea? And most every one of these sailings have time off of the boat in ports or excursions, so sea time can't really differ all that much; so still can't justify a sailing like mine not qualifying for 35% off.

Wow; haven't even boarded yet (my first cruise) and RC leaving me very bad-taste-in-the-mouth-ish feeling 😆. The idea that its a newer boat doesn't cut it either...correct me if I'm wrong but, somewhere on these boards I thought I read an Icon of The Seas sailing got the 35% discount. But yes, I know those are far more expensive sailings to begin with.....🙄.

Just ignore the % off.  It's really meaningless.  Just look at the price per person, per day.  Do the math and decide if that price justifies getting the package.  At $78/pppd that's basically 5.5 full-priced ($14) cocktails per day.  Vitality Spa juices are included, as well as specialty coffees (not at a Starbucks location).  On some ships it will include shakes at Johnny Rockets.  If it doesn't make sense to you, per day, then just buy a la carte.   I've seen lower prices at 35% off than 50% off (was that 50% off the 2nd guest? I don't remember, but I learned very early on to just look at the price per day on the Cruise Planner).

3 hours ago, RichRe01 said:

Hey TX;

Someone i=on Icon may have ben offered a 35% off offer, but you have no idea what the onboard base price is for that sailing. As mentioned above do NOT get sidetracked by the advertised % off number, it is rarely if ever based on the same beginning price.  i have had 3 cruises so far in 2024, the on board price for the deluxe drink package ranged from $98 per day to $115 per day, being offered 35% of on all those cruises would never have amounted in the same price. Yes, like it or not, newer ships get a premium on EVERYTHING.

Unfortunately it is a fact, that the number o drinks consumed is directly proportional to number of sea days and length of cruise, and are priced accordingly.  One will f=drink far more on the first few days of a cruise than the last few, and people on shorter cruises can power through a large number of drinks for the entire cruise. Multiple sea days back to back also incur a larger number of drinks served than if there were port days intermingled.

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Just ignore the % off.  It's really meaningless.  Just look at the price per person, per day.  Do the math and decide if that price justifies getting the package.  At $78/pppd that's basically 5.5 full-priced ($14) cocktails per day.  Vitality Spa juices are included, as well as specialty coffees (not at a Starbucks location).  On some ships it will include shakes at Johnny Rockets.  If it doesn't make sense to you, per day, then just buy a la carte.   I've seen lower prices at 35% off than 50% off (was that 50% off the 2nd guest? I don't remember, but I learned very early on to just look at the price per day on the Cruise Planner).

Hi SpeedNoodles;

Yeah, lookin' like ala carte may be it. Even if I do drink, say, more than 4 drinks per day, I'm sure at least one of them would be an $8 beer. As I mentioned, haven't seen anything lower than 30% discount for my sailing ( ..yes, we'd get the J.R. shakes in our package).

Sadly, I'm creating a big disadvantage for my roommate...who would likely benefit from the package. 😞  Puts me in a bit of a spot.

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

Someone i=on Icon may have ben offered a 35% off offer, but you have no idea what the onboard base price is for that sailing. As mentioned above do NOT get sidetracked by the advertised % off number, it is rarely if ever based on the same beginning price.  i have had 3 cruises so far in 2024, the on board price for the deluxe drink package ranged from $98 per day to $115 per day, being offered 35% of on all those cruises would never have amounted in the same price. Yes, like it or not, newer ships get a premium on EVERYTHING.

Unfortunately it is a fact, that the number o drinks consumed is directly proportional to number of sea days and length of cruise, and are priced accordingly.  One will f=drink far more on the first few days of a cruise than the last few, and people on shorter cruises can power through a large number of drinks for the entire cruise. Multiple sea days back to back also incur a larger number of drinks served than if there were port days intermingled.

Hi TX;

Yeah well, not saying I agree with how RC plays all of this out but, thanks for giving me a better visual (having never been on one of these before). I'm sure the expense of an Icon Of The Seas base price somewhat justifies a bigger package discount. And though I do believe we did well with the base discounts on THIS cruise (booking far in advance), I think Ala carte will be the way for me.

42 minutes ago, RichRe01 said:

Sadly, I'm creating a big disadvantage for my roommate...who would likely benefit from the package. 😞  Puts me in a bit of a spot.

Call Royal Caribbean and see if they will allow you to purchase the Refreshment Package (and your cabin mate purchase the DBP).  Many people do this - it's just not something you can do on the Cruise Planner.  It cannot hurt to ask.

The sale price doesn't mean anything to me because they are always having "a sale". I look at the cost per person per day and decide from there. When calculating your break even point don't forget to add 18% gratuity per drink as this increases the coast of the drink and reduces the break even point. A $14 dollar drink is actually $16.52 with 18% gratuity. We got the drink package for our next cruise at $73.99, with gratuity that brings the price to $87 per person per day making our break even point 5.2 drinks per day which for us is just about perfect especially when including bottled water and specialty teas and coffee.

12 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Call Royal Caribbean and see if they will allow you to purchase the Refreshment Package (and your cabin mate purchase the DBP).  Many people do this - it's just not something you can do on the Cruise Planner.  It cannot hurt to ask.

Good morning SpeedNoodles;

My understanding is.. that to do that...I might have a problem buying any alcoholic drinks Ala carte if my cabin-mate has the Deluxe package and I don't.  Pretty sure I'd like to drink SOME liquor;; just not $600 worth over 7 days. 😆

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

The sale price doesn't mean anything to me because they are always having "a sale". I look at the cost per person per day and decide from there. When calculating your break even point don't forget to add 18% gratuity per drink as this increases the coast of the drink and reduces the break even point. A $14 dollar drink is actually $16.52 with 18% gratuity. We got the drink package for our next cruise at $73.99, with gratuity that brings the price to $87 per person per day making our break even point 5.2 drinks per day which for us is just about perfect especially when including bottled water and specialty teas and coffee.

Hi Bmac;

OH, fear not... haven't forgotten gratuities; especially when I RACED to pay them (base gratuities) after finding out about the impending increase recently. In fact your calculations are the crux of the issue ;;.. I'm going to pay $16.50 every time I have a cocktail?? That's crazy highway robbery. Ya' know, I might have an $8 beer once in awhile...oh sorry $9.40 beer.

Incidentally, looks like the D. Bev. Package for my sailing has once again dropped from the 50% off of 1 person to 30% off both ($72.99/day):Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 09-02-53 Deluxe Beverage Package.png

Ohhh. I forgot that they even add the gratuities to the packages... That still means 5-6 cocktails per day per person to at least break even. OMG. No, I'm too old for this, that's too much to drink. Better take the Fountain soda package and drink 2-3 whiskeys per day.

BTW, the "50% off" is back today, lol. But still no 30% off which is the only option considerable.

The only thing I don't understand is why they don't make a package with something in between like MSC has...

I just got an email saying my Symphony sailing DBP was now 35% off. Of course I went in the app and it still buy one get one 50% off. 

I already locked in the 35% off rate but was just curious that they would offer that again so quickly. Maybe the app hasn't updated, the website might have it.

4 hours ago, RichRe01 said:

Good morning SpeedNoodles;

My understanding is.. that to do that...I might have a problem buying any alcoholic drinks Ala carte if my cabin-mate has the Deluxe package and I don't.  Pretty sure I'd like to drink SOME liquor;; just not $600 worth over 7 days. 😆

Some have done it.  It costs nothing to ask.

On 3/1/2024 at 5:57 AM, VasiliiNorris said:

I have ALWAYS purchased the deluxe drink package regardless because it has always been worth the money because it covers more than just alcohol. You get soda, tea, coffee, premium water brands, juice and more!

The average drinker will reach alcohol fatigue well before they get their money's worth or more in drinks BUT below are many reasons you can get your money's worth without hurting your waistline/health or overindulge by getting the deluxe drink package:

- I go to vitality spa for their juice/smoothie bar twice a day in the morning and night. ( I get their green apple, cucumber, ginger, carrot and spinach smoothie)

- Rather than buying the packaged water deal or bring my own, I use my deluxe drink package to get 2 Evian water bottles at any of the bars and hoard them in my cabin to drink whenever.

- Access to fresh brew variety of coffees in the morning.

- They usually have coke zero and sprite zero if you ask.

Add that on top of my wine and cocktails, i've actually surpassed and came out positive in my deluxe drink package.

@RichRe01 Honestly, you should have no issues.  They do not “Black Mark” your account if you purchased a Refreshment package while your cabin mate bought the Drink pkg.  We have called almost every time we sail to only have one of us get the drink pkg (my husband usually) and never had an issue if I went to a bar to purchase a drink.