Travel agent not responding on final payment date

Starting to get worried. This is why I usually like to be in control of my own stuff. Every other time I have email with anything/make a payment he has responded with in a few hours. Today is our final payment date. I emailed him at 9:50am and still no response. So I called. Voicemail over and over saying he’s either on the other line or out of the office. How do I make my payment around my travel agent so my trip won’t be canceled?

Any travel agent I’ve dealt with does final payment 2 weeks before it’s due, to avoid issues.  I’m sure the issues involve chasing people for payment, them going on their own vacations etc.

perhaps as stated call the agency, if there is one, if not call Royal and appeal for a supervisor?  I know Royal won’t touch a booking done with a travel agent, I wonder if they’ll make an exception.

9 minutes ago, cruisefam86 said:

Starting to get worried. This is why I usually like to be in control of my own stuff. Every other time I have email with anything/make a payment he has responded with in a few hours. Today is our final payment date. I emailed him at 9:50am and still no response. So I called. Voicemail over and over saying he’s either on the other line or out of the office. How do I make my payment around my travel agent so my trip won’t be canceled?

Sorry you are going through this.  I wouldn't write off travel agents as a whole because of it.  A good travel agent will have a backup person if they are out of the office and generally contact you several days before final payment to arrange for payment.  I would recommend that you call the agency directly and have someone at the agency assist in getting your payment taken care of.  

Remember, travel agents can do much more than just book and take payments.  They can also offer invaluable advice and suggestions when needed.  They also are critical should there be a major issue, much like the pandemic.  

If this is a "one off" you may be fine, but if you have had other issues, I would recommend that you start looking for another agency to represent your interests.  You've probably seen it on here before, but many of us use MEI-Travel and i have nothing but good experiences with our agent.  

Good Luck!

5 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Any travel agent I’ve dealt with does final payment 2 weeks before it’s due, to avoid issues.  I’m sure the issues involve chasing people for payment, them going on their own vacations etc.

perhaps as stated call the agency, if there is one, if not call Royal and appeal for a supervisor?  I know Royal won’t touch a booking done with a travel agent, I wonder if they’ll make an exception.

Thanks! I was so worried and after you said this I went back and looked at my invoice from when we booked on the ship and it had a due date of Dec 18. So he has given himself a 10 day buffer! 

I was having a mini heart attack! We are in a CLS for a price that will never be seen again!

2 hours ago, cruisefam86 said:

Thanks! I was so worried and after you said this I went back and looked at my invoice from when we booked on the ship and it had a due date of Dec 18. So he has given himself a 10 day buffer! 

I was having a mini heart attack! We are in a CLS for a price that will never be seen again!

Glad to hear this!  It goes without saying that you need to keep after the agent in this case, but I'm sure it will work out.

24 minutes ago, cruisefam86 said:

He finally responded and posted payment! His power went out. I feel bad I went a little crazy. But when you have that chance of your cruise being cancelled it’s makes you a little crazy!

Don't worry. Travel agent final payment panic is a real thing, even with plenty of buffer.

1 hour ago, cruisefam86 said:

He finally responded and posted payment! His power went out. I feel bad I went a little crazy. But when you have that chance of your cruise being cancelled it’s makes you a little crazy!

I own a small business and have an app on my phone that rings both the biz line and my cell phone app at the same time on every incoming call. Sounds like someone is behind the times on technology. What's going to happen if the agent is on a 7 night cruise and a client needs the agent right away with a problem? Not saying your agent isn't good but I use one that works for a company with multiple travel agents so if I need someone in an emergency situation, someone else can help me. I also have my agents cell phone number and I know he buys the internet package for every cruise so he is reachable.

9 hours ago, cruisefam86 said:

Totally understandable, but you can see even in this situation he came through within hours and his built in 10 day cushion on final payment was protecting you the entire time.  You're going to have a great time!