Bye Bye WOW Bands?

Mr. K

They haven’t been on the vast majority of Oasis class ships for quite a while now. The most of the fleet never used them to begin with. I think only one brought them back, which I think was Wonder but I could be mistaken about the ship. Their website mentioned two Quantum class getting them in May 2023, but that didn’t happen

I recall WOW bands in April this year on Wonder.......then wondered what good they were when servers/bartenders asked passengers to remove them so they could process their drink orders.

Removing my Sea Pass card from the lanyard pouch seemed easier, and no additional cost. Observed the same thing in shops onboard. 

We brought our old WOW bands from prior cruises with us this last summer (June 2023) onto Wonder with no issues.  Guest services happily reprogrammed them for us at no charge.  The primary purpose was to provide quick and easy access to the room door.  They also worked fine getting into the shows with a reservation.  We used our seapass cards the remainder of the time for shopping, etc...

Not a shock but too bad.  We used them and liked them.  Could open stateroom when carrying thing and mostly liked wearing them in the pool so we could give them to the waiters for drinks.  Since they were used on ships with RFID Seapass cards that can't be punched the WOW Bands in  the pool were great.  Sorry to see them go. 

11 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

They haven’t been on the vast majority of Oasis class ships for quite a while now. The most of the fleet never used them to begin with. I think only one brought them back, which I think was Wonder but I could be mistaken about the ship. Their website mentioned two Quantum class getting them in May 2023, but that didn’t happen

It did happen, I purchased one at Guest Services onboard Ovation 2 weeks ago. $9.99 each

20 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

Oasis had them for a few months during the summer, but I feel like once they ran through them, that was it. 

19 hours ago, Gilley said:

I like the Wow bands.  It was easy to open my stateroom door using it.  If they are going to discontinue them fleet wide, I hope they give their bartenders scanners that will scan the seapass while it remains in the lanyard.

The never gave the bar staff scanners to scan the WOW bands, I’m sure they won’t get scanners to scan the sea pass cards 

3 hours ago, ScottD said:

All of the bars on Oasis had scanners right on the bar to tap your card or band

Yes, but i was talking about (unclearly as I see now) of the roaming waiters and bar personnel in lounges, theaters, and pool decks.  IMHO this was one of the greatest downfalls of the WOW band, and why it was a "one and done" for many people.

15 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Yes, but i was talking about (unclearly as I see now) of the roaming waiters and bar personnel in lounges, theaters, and pool decks.  IMHO this was one of the greatest downfalls of the WOW band, and why it was a "one and done" for many people.

Ahh yeah, gotcha. I forget about them because I never use them...I rarely order a drink from a server walking around unless I'm IN a bar like schooner or the Pubs.  At the pools or other areas, I'm a walk up to the bar guy. 

WOW bands were available for purchase when I was on my B2B cruise on Wonder this past October/November.  However earlier in the year when I was on Symphony and several weekend cruises on Freedom they did not have wow bands.  It may just be a supply chain issue  where they don't have them in stock for every single cruise and its not an item that guest need to enjoy their cruise so Royal is perfectly fine with dispatching a cruise ship with or without wow bands onboard.

1 hour ago, JasonOasis said:

WOW bands were available for purchase when I was on my B2B cruise on Wonder this past October/November.  However earlier in the year when I was on Symphony and several weekend cruises on Freedom they did not have wow bands.  It may just be a supply chain issue  where they don't have them in stock for every single cruise and its not an item that guest need to enjoy their cruise so Royal is perfectly fine with dispatching a cruise ship with or without wow bands onboard.

I don't think they would have them for Freedom. They are only available for select Oasis and Quantum class.

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, Mr. K said:

I'm currently on the Oasis of the Seas and when we went to purchase our WOW Bands we were told they have been discontinued. 

Is this fleet wide or just limited to the Oasis? Was looking forward to this feature & was surprised by what we were told. 

Last month, Feb 2024, purchased and used one on harmony!

On 11/27/2023 at 6:55 AM, Mr. K said:

I'm currently on the Oasis of the Seas and when we went to purchase our WOW Bands we were told they have been discontinued. 

Is this fleet wide or just limited to the Oasis? Was looking forward to this feature & was surprised by what we were told. 

I just got off Icon of the Seas 03/2024 last week and can confirm WOW bands are still very much available for purchase and use.

Although in my personal opinion it's much more convenient for me to just use my seapass card for everything, some passengers love utilizing them.