Extras Extras read all about (Not) with them.

OK. So this is basically a personal observation/rant.

We fell into the extras trap over the past month. And then last week when the Black Friday sale started we convinced ourselves we needed even more.

After making a list yesterday on paper and going over charges, we realized it was becoming like the expense of an entirely additional trip. 

So we slashed our planner purchases to the bones. Soda package and bottled water. Internet for wifi calling still a possibility. But that's it. No $300 beach bed on sea day. No adult beach at PDCC. Frankly if you can't find a spot on PDCC with Crystal clear ocean, free chairs, included food, etc. Then you really aren't enjoying paradise. No specialty restaurants. All gone.

I guess my point is take stock of your extras. Royal Caribbean claims to have a great product to sell. Then they turn right around and say wait, we have an even better product to sell you. Doesn't say much for what they think of there original product. 

Yes, of course it's one week out of the year. We only live once. Etc etc. And everybody should do you, not me. But consider making a list and taking stock of your "extra" purchases. We found it Eye opening and feel a little more free. Frankly even a bit foolish of some things we convinced ourselves we needed. 

To each his/hers own. I just thought I would share how taking a good look and having a word with yourself can clear the fog. My budget is over a thousand dollars lighter and I literally don't feel like I'm going to miss out on anything. 

Again, and I cannot say this enough. You do you. Just thought I'd share my soul searching over corporate advertising and the way we get convinced of all the things we simply can't live without. Honestly, we can. LOL. 

I agree @CanHardlyWait.  It's easy to want to do everything and heck it's just a little more.  But every single drop contributes to filling a bucket.  PDCC is a great example.  It can be and is a great beach day without spending a penny more.  RCI makes it easy too because often the choices are free or super crazy ridiculous like 200 bucks for Thrill Water Park or $325 for the beach club.  They'll make their sales and I respect that, but where they are at makes it just too easy to choose free and free at PDCC is still a perfect day.

Take that 1k you saved and you're on you're way to another cruise after a few iterations.

34 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

we slashed our planner purchases to the bones

This is how some of us usually sail... and have an amazing time!

We do SOME specialty dining but not much and it's mostly the lower priced options like Mason Jar brunch for $20.99pp, Sabor for roughly the same, or burgers at Playmakers.

Never spent a dime at PDCC when sailing alone with the wife except to tip on voucher drinks.

But as you said, to each his/her own. If Sky/Star Class is what you want or you always get the DBP and/or UDP, go for it!

i think too it was — at least for us — easier to “splurge” on a beach club pass if the fare was more reasonable for our budgets. 

but pricing out a cabin for february 2025 made me laugh in shock and then i moseyed on over to celebrity where i could get an aft balcony cabin on a brand new ship for less than a junior suite on an amped oasis. 

i know times are changing and prices are going up; but it pays to keep track and know what your limits are. 

we typically always want internet and water.

diamond vouchers can (thankfully) take the lift away from buying drinks, and the beach club is our absolute favorite but we know what we’re willing to pay and what we aren’t.

there’s a reason we didn’t buy it for our cruise on symphony in 2024. that shiz was wild. 😂

Yep...last trip we had two drink packages, 2 wifi's, an excursion, upgraded our room TWICE, ordered a gift to be waiting in the room, got a casita, bought food at Playmakers twice... it all added up A LOT.  The next one we are going bare bones (we even booked inside, but did upgrade to an Ocean view window room for 22 bucks a few weeks later, couldn't pass that up) No wifi, no excursions, no on-ship extras, The only thing we bought was that great lunch deal for Giovannis, we haven't done any of the specialty places yet- so its a good chance to do that.  Other than that, we are going to just enjoy what the fare includes, and explore the island on our own. Having an overnight in the port is awesome, and really looking forward to not watching the clock while we explore on the first day.  

You do what you want, we LOVED all the extras last month, I'm sure we will love the minimum this time.  If we go to Coco cay again, we MAY splurge for the beach club or something different since we've gone twice this year and are kind of over it, so maybe a new experience will make it a little more excitable to us 

I was guilty of the sway of black Friday this year. It was very easy to justify purchases when things are  up to 50% off. I know how to stop myself, but the allure was there.

I always get internet and a dining package, but I rarely buy excursions. However, this time I am doing Alaska, so I was glad to save 30-40% and brought more than I normally would. I hardly ever get off at PDCC now but my brother found some good deals and splurged. 

I was able to save money on our Chops embarkation lunch ( we always schedule a relaxed embarkation lunch especially on any class without CK) and saved a great deal on our internet for the 8 night sailing which is not included. Our 2 excursions we saved 50 % as well. I also purchased the Evian waters that I enjoy at a nice savings. I did resist any additional purchases, trying to enjoy what is included on our last two sailings until our *"freeloader" flies the coup! 

*credit to @Lovetocruise2002 for this fun term!

3 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

So we slashed our planner purchases to the bones. 

We haven't struck the bone yet, but I absolutely understand. Our recently concluded 5 day on Mariner was our lowest in onboard spending and addons to date. And for the second consecutive cruise, we spent less on a la' carte booze purchases (including additional gratuity) than the cost of the DBP for 1.  Not for everyone, but works for us.

Fortunately i just started cruising recently so i havent gotten bored of the "bare bones". To me its still really interesting enough with just the base fare.

Though after scouring the message boards, i got tempted to try all the different specialty dining and book at least 1 on the planner and maybe do another when on the ship itself.

That said i have never regretted the addons. Recently did the chefs table and was amazed at how good the food was, specifically the roasted tomato soup and fillet mignon.

Love the barebones but the addons are sometimes so hard to resist!

Great responses folks.

The beauty of my story/epiphany this week is there is no right or wrong answer. 

Just sometimes advertising and reading stories from others can combine to make us think we want or need more than we actually do.

In the end I celebrate everyone's choices. Just had a moment of clarity when I saved a thousand bucks and felt making a list of $$$ Vs Want Vs Need was such an eye opener, I had to share it. 

It's so cool (and rare) to have a day/moment when you step out of yourself and see things from a different perspective. Just had to pass it on.

#No Regrets. 

#Feeling Good. 

#Just Grateful To Be Going.

#Always Do You.

I always start my cruise search with a spreadsheet.  We then choose which cruise and balcony or jr suite fits our budget for that itinerary.  After that I look for the deals on lunch or dinner at a specialty restaurant, shore excursions, etc.  When we decide on something it goes into the spreadsheet with the cost.  I always keep track of the spending on everything.  Being Diamond means no drink package or wifi (we are retired with grown children so no need for extra).  Once on board then the cruise purchases are minimal.

I've usually cruise without much extras. It's totally fine and I'm 100% convinced no extras are necessary. But for my next 7 night cruise, I did get 3 specialty dining lunches and the soda package. Our reasoning was:

- We are travelling with a kid under 5, specialty lunches are free for the kid - so why not take advantage?

- It will be our 3rd cruise in a bit over a year, we are kinda tired of the buffet and it's nice to have a nice sit down lunch.

- For the soda package, I sometimes bring a 12 pack instead of buying it, but not having a car and trying to find a Target/Wal Mart/whatever and then having to carry the sodas until the stateroom is ready seems a bit too much, and I'm paying for the convenience.

But it's totally ok in my mind to go 0 extras.

Agree with everyone. I will say we are more likely to spend on excursions than ship stuff. We will always remember having pizza and gelato in Italy, climbing a Mayan pyramid, or the excitement of being pushed downhill in Funchal. But I can't remember many meals on the ship, just a handful of great free performances. 

6 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

We fell into the extras trap over the past month. And then last week when the Black Friday sale started we convinced ourselves we needed even more...

I guess my point is take stock of your extras. Royal Caribbean claims to have a great product to sell. Then they turn right around and say wait, we have an even better product to sell you. Doesn't say much for what they think of there original product. 

Yes, of course it's one week out of the year. We only live once. Etc etc. And everybody should do you, not me. But consider making a list and taking stock of your "extra" purchases. We found it Eye opening and feel a little more free. Frankly even a bit foolish of some things we convinced ourselves we needed...

Just thought I'd share my soul searching over corporate advertising and the way we get convinced of all the things we simply can't live without. Honestly, we can. LOL. 

I love this post. We rarely hear this perspective and IMO it is spot on. I posted in another thread that I felt like I needed to buy a bunch of stuff because of the sale. 

My Achilles heel this year is the refreshment package. We had it for the first time last year (we don't drink much alcohol at all - less than 10 drinks a year) and enjoyed it to a degree, but I just felt physically lousy after drinking so much sugar to get my money's worth. I've put it in my cart 3 times already this year and the total is over $900 (4 of us for an 8 night cruise). If we just pay as we go, there is no way we'll get close to $900 for non-alcoholic DRINKS. Yet I keep trying to buy it and having to stop myself! I'm actually glad it is $23.99 this year instead of $19.99 - just that little difference, over the full cruise, with an extra night from last year, is what has stopped me from buying it all three times. 

6 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

OK. So this is basically a personal observation/rant.

We fell into the extras trap over the past month. And then last week when the Black Friday sale started we convinced ourselves we needed even more.

After making a list yesterday on paper and going over charges, we realized it was becoming like the expense of an entirely additional trip. 

So we slashed our planner purchases to the bones. Soda package and bottled water. Internet for wifi calling still a possibility. But that's it. No $300 beach bed on sea day. No adult beach at PDCC. Frankly if you can't find a spot on PDCC with Crystal clear ocean, free chairs, included food, etc. Then you really aren't enjoying paradise. No specialty restaurants. All gone.

Yes, of course it's one week out of the year. We only live once. Etc etc. And everybody should do you, not me. But consider making a list and taking stock of your "extra" purchases. We found it Eye opening and feel a little more free. Frankly even a bit foolish of some things we convinced ourselves we needed. 

To each his/hers own. I just thought I would share how taking a good look and having a word with yourself can clear the fog. My budget is over a thousand dollars lighter and I literally don't feel like I'm going to miss out on anything. 

Again, and I cannot say this enough. You do you. Just thought I'd share my soul searching over corporate advertising and the way we get convinced of all the things we simply can't live without. Honestly, we can. LOL. 

I’m sure this will be an unpopular statement but IMHO I think it’s great what RC has done with the upsizing options. Without the expansive dining choices, chairs for rent and package options what do we actually have besides a worn out and basic version of a cruise experience. I too enjoy the old days of cruising but would NEVER trade them for the new version despite the lower level of service and the cutbacks. My family would not enjoy a stripped out version of the new cruise experience so we always will go all out! Can’t wait for Icon and all the extras she will offer. Yes, I belong to the YOLO group.