sailing into an oasis for diamonds | 12.10.23-12.17.23 ~ oasis of the seas

asquared17

42 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

How rough are the waters today?  Cruisemapper is showing some pretty rough seas all over the Caribbean and Bahama areas!  Also Gulf of Mexico!  Are you feeling the effects?

My SIL is texting me from her cruise. She's on Holland America and they had to cancel their stop at Half Moon Cay due to weather today (of course that's a tender port which doesn't help). She says they're having a very bumpy sea day. And it looks like both my SIL and @asquared17 will be coming into some crummy FL weather tomorrow, boo. 

However, i would still like to remind our beloved little @asquared17 that May/June out of her homeport of Bayonne is still smoother 😂😂😍🥰😂

Hey, just adding my experience on severe weather delays.

We were on NCL and went through a bomb cyclone. Actually made national news. We didn't wind up disembarking until 5pm or so.  It was glorious, but then again, we were drinking.  I mean we were driven to the port (i think it's a given we were drinking). Anyway, they opened a special line at guest services for those without an internet package to rebook flights and sort travel arrangements. All purchased packages remained valid, and even though we were back in NYC waters, we were never charged our customary NYC tax on them. All restaurants remained open, through late lunch. 

What you need to watch out for are all the frantic passengers who are going to be hellbent on making their flights. Prepare for pushing, shoving, and arguments. We were fortunate that we had priority disembarkation, but that only got us so far. I was prepared for this, however, with unopened bottles of water that i hand carried and offered to frazzled parents.

I'm with @Neesa. Relax and book yourself a room close to the airport and rebook your flight. I anticipate chaos, and it will be nice not to be part of that. And, yes, the concierge team are your friends here. Hopefully they can be helpful and offer sage advice!

Keep us posted!

okay so currently as it stands:

we are going to hold and try and keep our flight. i know tomorrow is going to be mayhem, and i am not sure how many other folks will be trying to carry off with us that perhaps hadn’t originally intended to, to try and mitigate some of the waiting time. 

they are still targeting us for a 10am arrival with a hopeful 11am disembarkation time. i will probably have us queued up around 10:15 THE LATEST (but likely will be earlier.) 

they have not said yet when they want everyone to vacate their staterooms but i can’t imagine it being by 8am and then staging 6k plus passengers in common areas. that seems extremely wild. 

i am hopeful that our flight will also be delayed, per @jbrinkm  which would give us a little wiggle room. 

the weather looks poor later into the evening and well into monday, so i would really prefer to avoid staying over at all costs. (and avoid more… costs. 🙃)

so far, we are still averaging about 23-24 knots, so we are booking it. the sun, bizarrely much, hung out for most of the day. we passed explorer in our starboard side, sailing AWAY from this mess, around 2:15pm or so. i waved. 

the most motion i have felt so far has been in the solarium, where we holed up for the day, but i was expecting that as we were extremely far forward. 

@PPPJJ-GCVAB — thus far, it has been otherwise manageable; and i get pretty seasick. however this is a big ship, and we are not yet in the storm, as far as i can tell. (well. no rain yet. but it’s coming.)

we continue to hug the coast of cuba, as most of the other cruise ships on cruise mapper show. 

i should be starting to pack before it gets really bad for tonight but i needed a moment. 💚

16 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

It was glorious, but then again, we were drinking

i would expect nothing less, my friend 😆

16 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

What you need to watch out for are all the frantic passengers who are going to be hellbent on making their flights. Prepare for pushing, shoving, and arguments. We were fortunate that we had priority disembarkation, but that only got us so far

since we are just a JS, the suite concierge services don’t extend to us. i will try to venture down to the crown lounge and see if they have anything they can add to be helpful or timing wise when we should be expected to hit deck 5. obviously we will not be down there at 11 because it’s going to be insane. 

4 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I'm in Philly and we are expecting really heavy rains and wind tomorrow and Monday, so it may definitely cause some delays getting back up this way

this is my concern if we push our departure back til monday. it’s going to be a domino effect of everyone trying to get back. florida will be clear, but NJ/EWR will be a hot mess. my best friend said winds up to 45 mph. 🙃

sorry for the rippling; it was folded in our door. 

would love to know if odyssey (just ahead of us, heading to FLL) is similarly impacted — they didn’t have the falmouth delay we did, but they are ahead of us, further into the storm.  

and what communication the oncoming folks on oasis tomorrow are receiving for their boarding. 

considering we didn’t depart until 8pm last sunday, and we were told the same thing happened the week before, it sounds like boarding and departure will be surely impacted. 

IMG_7342.jpeg

okay backtracking…

IMG_7343.thumb.jpeg.fa0cb498e975175c3f256f8ef32da91c.jpeg

last dinner in CK tonight 

IMG_7344.thumb.jpeg.e208ba808775124f2a871bdcd04da2c7.jpeg

IMG_7345.thumb.jpeg.6eb8a9ee5e78cbd21611253c6257a05b.jpeg

i was underwhelmed by the choices/wanted to play it safe due to potential travel the following day, so i got the caesar and a small portion of spaghetti marinara. 

IMG_7346.thumb.jpeg.910c766765d96f470279b3b37ed5783c.jpeg

J stuck with a seafood theme; shrimp cocktail, the crudo and the tuna. she said it was all delicious. they even brought her extra sauce for the tuna and she cleaned her plate!

i was craving sorbet so mark went off in search of the flavors and came back with four scoops of lemon! 🍋 i really loved the lemon sorbet because it wasn’t overly sweet but it also wasn’t overly “icy” either. you know how they can get??

IMG_7348.thumb.jpeg.ecf9abf1de70aaa1f3da9f223b23575d.jpeg

J was torn because she wanted the special crème brûlée but also loves a good cheesecake; so i talked her into getting both. 😂

IMG_7351.thumb.jpeg.aa1c780ea5d8c6bc15aca62da020ea2e.jpegIMG_7352.thumb.jpeg.f9ec8fc3eef3cc7c8cb6375f66ae7d0d.jpeg

after we got our tea to go, we ventured down to deck 8 to cross the ship so i could hit the crown lounge. i talked to one of the officers there and explained about the bad weather back home in NJ and he advised me to queue up as early as 10am so we could be off the ship for self assist on time. 

we will DEFINITELY be queued by 10am, if not sooner. 

our plan is to vacate the cabin by 9am the latest, to give our great cabin attendant more time to flip the room. he was so great and said he’d love to let us use the bathroom as long as we could let him do the bed, and get it ready for the next guests. 

i assured him we’d be out. 

i think we will try for breakfast somewhat early ish — maybe 8? — and then come back for all the bags around 9 to hit deck 5. we will have to remember to go up to go down. 🙃

IMG_7353.thumb.jpeg.93ccd67d096acee54fe06972cdebb80b.jpeg

central park plaque 🫡

IMG_7354.thumb.jpeg.eca04f5fd6bf5ce2f07fe3366bc1e149.jpeg

i don’t know why, but i’ve always loved this alligator on deck 4 by the elevator bank 😂

IMG_7355.thumb.jpeg.54975af7a1fd48b7f1fd29777e039e58.jpeg

the scene of the crime….

(not pictured; all the clothes that had already been separated into cold water / warm water wash, then put into the ziploc shrink pack bags.)

IMG_7356.thumb.jpeg.654ca2d03d9c7f65edd54117b65cf907.jpeg

all done!!

happy we got that out of the way. 

the sea still feels okay — or at least as okay as it has been all week. honestly we’ve had rougher/more pronounced movement this week and it’s still nowhere near as bad as the motion i felt last month on little windstar. 

bless the big ships, honestly. 

the captain just got on to speak but because it’s a little later, i didn’t get outside on the balcony to hear it in time. alas. 

i can confirm that it’s VERY damp out there. humidity feels like 100 percent. so if we aren’t in the fringes of this storm yet, feels like it might be a matter of time. 

my hope is to be fast asleep when that happens. 😴

anyway!! thanks for coming along the journey that was today 💚 appreciate all the support, well wishes and hopes 😅

now we wait and see for what tomorrow will bring…

IMG_7347.jpeg

39 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i was underwhelmed by the choices/wanted to play it safe due to potential travel the following day

For future sailings, you need to try the cauliflower fried rice. It's light, and super tasty! Hubby and I both agree that item is perfect for the night 7 menu because by that point we are stuffed and the lightness of that dish is perfect to end the cruise with.

despite having extra time to sleep, i am still up at 6am on disembarkation day 😅😂

IMG_7361.thumb.jpeg.79d87d4a2b49f906893295219b735e47.jpeg

looking out the balcony, there is another ship keeping time with us. i think it is grandeur!

i will probably read on my kindle for a bit until J wakes up. 

i’ve decided that we’re going to leave the cabin even earlier and just set up shop at a table at cafe promenade (assuming there is one by 8am.)

the thought of fighting for an elevator for who knows how long just does not thrill me. we can hopefully get breakfast from the jammer and eat in a comfortable chair at CP. 

time to see if flights are still on time…

You are very near Miami, I wouldn't be surprised if you arrive earlier then advised! Yes that's Grandeur! 

Is there a lot of motion? The winds here north of Tampa are quite brisk! 

Sending all positive energy to you today, may your plans work out seamlessly. Wishing you only good things, come on universe....let's have a successful rest of  the day!

Screenshot_20231217_070959_CruiseMapper.jpg

Screenshot_20231217_070939_CruiseMapper.jpg

okay so we are still staged on the running track but i think we are at somewhat the front of the line. 

when i walked to the back, i could see a large carnival ship and another ship as well. 

IMG_7369.thumb.jpeg.9ccd47317bde0f4458b21ed7f90e24d3.jpegIMG_7370.thumb.jpeg.a179bf546cf21f5ebbe491b87adb2acc.jpeg

(looks like a scene out of pirates of the caribbean 😂)

i think we will come in early and hopefully clear customs quickly. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

IMG_7363.jpeg

Looks like there are zero ships docked in Miami right now. Everyone is making there way there at the same time. The storm must have caused this. Here is the current state of entering the port. At the top of the shot you can see port everglades seemed to have fared better.

Screenshot_20231217_090306_CruiseMapper.jpg

15 minutes ago, Neesa said:

At the top of the shot you can see port everglades seemed to have fared better.

Yeah, people from Odyssey of the Seas FB group have been reported that they docked, late, but they made it.

Good luck @asquared17! We are rooting for you to make your flight!

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What does that make...4 AAA now ?  

either 4 or 5. 😳

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

people from Odyssey of the Seas FB group have been reported that they docked, late, but they made it.

i’m glad they made it!! ironically, odyssey was our least favorite ship but our disembarkation was the fastest we’ve ever had. 

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Good luck @asquared17! We are rooting for you to make your flight!

thank you!! i feel like our roles have reversed; usually we are rooting for you guys to make your flight going down 😅

so far the incoming aircraft is tentatively slated to arrive 10 mins late. which would be helpful. we will see…

So glad you made it to Miami!  Good luck with your flight!  🙏 As long as you reasonably take off on time or a bit delayed you should make it up to the East Coast before we actually get this storm!  I’m in RI and our forecast is very late tonight and mostly all day tomorrow with the strong winds and torrential rains!
 My poor husband has to…again…take down our fragile lawn decorations and keeps telling me this is the last time!  😂 

still waiting to clear customs and hopefully get off before the rest of the ships get in. 

folks around us are going 😳😱 when we tell them we didn’t move our flight. 

we have clear and i have tsa precheck AND clear so im hoping we are good to go. 

and FLL is typically easier to navigate than MIA (at least for us). 

I THINK WE MIGHT BE MOVING