Port Canaveral to build two new parking garages

And it still won't be enough. The plan also includes a new terminal which apparently is going to spell the end of the marina on the west end, south side of the basin.

A shame they can't acquire some of the air force station land on the north side including the Trident sub basin.  There's currently a pitched battle between the port authority and the locals over replacement  of the drawbridge spans on SR 401. The port wants 65' highrise spans. NASA contractors, environmentalists and FDOT are saying no. Cost, environmental impact, and NASA contractors are complaining a 65 foot clearance is inadequate for barges hauling rocket assemblies  from the ocean, through the barge canal and into the Intracoastal to get to KSC. Last big thing I can recall going through there was Shuttle external fuel tanks.

As far as parking, after first 2 experiences with official port parking, we used PortParking.com's lot at the south end of Columbia Rd this past April.  A 3 block walk from CT 1. They have shuttles, 425 parking spaces. Downside, they're all open, but the lot is secure and video monitored..........and cheaper than PC official parking. Finally, a helluva lot easier getting in and out than that zoo at either CT 1 or 5 garage faciliites or overflow lots. Will handle passengers from every line but The Rat.

26 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

a helluva lot easier getting in and out than that zoo at either CT 1

Parking and getting out of Terminal 1 has always been very smooth and easy for us. Last cruise was in June, business as usual.

Not sure if it's because we always get there on the early side but always been tons of open spots in the garage.

Our very first trip on a ship (Mariner Feb'22) in no way prepared us for reality. Plenty of parking at CT 1, there were only 1800 passengers on the ship.

November '22 on Jewel at CT 5? Reality! 

We're not  of the 'gotta get there early' crowd.  Hell, we live in Seminole County and last 2 trips stayed in hotels in Port Canaveral the night before departure because I despise the thought of driving on SR 528 the 'day of' that much. 😱  Next trip is Rhapsody Thanksgiving weekend from Ft. Lauderdale. Taking Brightline the day before and staying overnight at Crowne Plaza....................provided damn Brightline is operating by then. 😡

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've started taking Lyft to the port to avoid dealing with parking. Is it cheaper than parking? Nope. But I really hate starting my cruise off annoyed at trying to find a spot.

I asked you about Lyft before and we've considered it but until my parking experience changes, I wasn't planning to go that route.

What time have you had trouble parking? And was this Terminal 1 or 5?

We always get to Terminal 1 around 10am, maybe a little earlier, and there are spots everywhere (as recently as June for a full Wonder sailing). I have to assume it's how early I get there? It can't be dumb luck.

The traffic at Terminal 1 was a nightmare this past Sunday.  Incoming traffic  from 3 directions was merging into one garage entrance and of course, there was also exiting traffic thrown in as well.  It took us 45 minutes to get into the parking garage.  Once inside we had no problem at all finding a parking space.  This was about 9:30.

Port Canaveral is like a mini Disney World and its effect on the infrastructure. Playing a game of catch up. With larger ships home porting there, they're standing in the bottom of  a deep hole. The port solely existed (in the beginning) as a means to get rocket hardware to the Cape. It's straining now between the cruise and cargo business.

When we sailed DCL Wish in June I was concerned because their parking deck is also used for the Fantasy and she left the day before us. We drove over from the hotel about 0930hrs to search for a space in the garage as I like the car to be covered if at all possible. (My luck there would be freakish hail or something) Well they had the deck totally coned off with huge "closed" signs opening at 1000. We sat in the car line to the side with everyone else and then at about 5 minutes after 1000 they opened the entrance. You drove up and paid at the machine which allowed for some staggering of cars entering, never saw a vehicle exit I assumed all Wish debarks were already out of there. We were pleasantly surprised at the amount of spaces ( I think it was Terminal 8 ) and how orderly the process was. First I was seething like " of course DCL has lines, they LOVE lines" but then I was like OK this actually worked well. 

18 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

What time have you had trouble parking? And was this Terminal 1 or 5?

Both. The last time I parked myself at Terminal 1, we were there early and it was already slim pickings on the very top deck of the garage.  Later in the afternoon, they were just parking people in the fields on either side.

Terminal 5's issue was paying for parking after the cruise, but I hear they fixed that now.

I think if you drive and get there before 11 or 11:30am, I bet you can find a spot in the garage. But taking a lyft over is really easy when they drop you off and you walk right in.

Our November '22 trip on Jewel was likely PC at its worst. A Thanksgiving week trip, 5 ships in port.  As part of the 'no hurry to board' crowd, we weren't disappointed. Our embarkation window was 1230. Traffic on SR 401 to CT 5 looked like the traffic for an Apollo launch; backed up for probably a half mile. Seems a lot of shuttle buses arrive around that time as well. Didn't even attempt to find parking anywhere in the garage except the roof; snagged one of the 15 or 20 that remained.

April '23 on Wonder, only one other ship in port in the back. The nightmare at the terminal was just the sheer number of bodies and vehicles. Dropped my wife and the bags and proceeded to the parking facility within the port we had a reservation for. Spread towels across the dashboard and steering wheel, prayed for no hailstorm while we were gone and boarded the bus back to the terminal. Worked well for us. 

On 8/24/2023 at 4:19 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

The traffic at Terminal 1 was a nightmare this past Sunday.  Incoming traffic  from 3 directions was merging into one garage entrance and of course, there was also exiting traffic thrown in as well.  It took us 45 minutes to get into the parking garage.  Once inside we had no problem at all finding a parking space.  This was about 9:30.

@WAAAYTOOO did you do a reservation?  When we cruised last May 2022, we used GoPort  and we were shuttled to the terminal but they no longer service RC cruises.  We booked a reservation with Port Parking Space but it said that they don't accept customer's until 945am.  I'm assuming it doesn't make much of a difference and there will still be a lot of traffic.  Now I have one more thing to stress about until December 3rd...

1 hour ago, KJ777 said:

@WAAAYTOOO did you do a reservation?  When we cruised last May 2022, we used GoPort  and we were shuttled to the terminal but they no longer service RC cruises.  We booked a reservation with Port Parking Space but it said that they don't accept customer's until 945am.  I'm assuming it doesn't make much of a difference and there will still be a lot of traffic.  Now I have one more thing to stress about until December 3rd...

GoPort still services PC. I have them booked for Jan cruises; it is $29.99 now instead of $24.99.

14 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

GoPort still services PC. I have them booked for Jan cruises; it is $29.99 now instead of $24.99.

@Ampurp85 we loved GoPort when we used them before.  But when I tried to do it this year they said they no longer serviced RC.  My brother in law was able to keep his reservation because he did it so early they said they would honor it.  We ended up doing the other parking reservations but from what other say maybe it doesn't matter if we have a reservation or not.

3 minutes ago, KJ777 said:

We ended up doing the other parking reservations but from what other say maybe it doesn't matter if we have a reservation or not.

I think there's a disconnect here somewhere.

If you are parking yourself in the actual terminal garage (not a 3rd party owned parking facility NEAR the terminal), there are no reservations offered. You drive in, pay at a machine, and park. This is what @WAAAYTOOO described and what we always do.

It sounds like you are parking elsewhere.

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I think there's a disconnect here somewhere.

If you are parking yourself in the actual terminal garage (not a 3rd party owned parking facility NEAR the terminal), there are no reservations offered. You drive in, pay at a machine, and park. This is what @WAAAYTOOO described and what we always do.

It sounds like you are parking elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I think there is a huge disconnect. I think @KJ777 want to do a cruise and park plus pickup as opposed to utilizing the shuttle from hotels and the ports.

You are both correct and I am extremely wrong!  I apologize to both of you that I wasn't aware it was not the same parking area.  Thank you both for clearing that up for me, I looked up the address (hubby made the ressie not me!) and realized it's totally different.  Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the education!!  Appreciate you both!!

Edited by KJ777
missed a word

22 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes, I just looked and it looks like they are again.  But when I was trying to make the reservation in March and called them, they told me they were no longer servicing RC.  It appears that they've changed their minds.  Sorry...again

• 2 weeks later...

In a recent article on Cruise Industry News they are saying Port Canaveral will have more ships sailing this winter 2023-2024 season.  

Royal Caribbean will homeport 4 vessels 

Carnival will homeport 4 vessels

Norwegian will homeport 2 vessels

Disney will homeport 2 vessels

MSC will homeport 1 vessel

However is not just number of ships that is increasing this coming winter season but the size of the ships are increasing as well.

Also next season 2024-2025 Celebrity and Princess Cruises are coming to Port Canaveral 

With more ships and also larger ships homeporting at Port Canaveral these new parking garages will be needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's an unusual scheduling quirk next month...

I have an Allure cruise on hold that leaves 10/25 (waiting to see if my wife is actually able to go). There will actually be 4 RC ships at PC at that time... Wonder, Indy, Allure, Mariner. According to the PC website, Wonder, Indy, and Allure are all using T1.

So if/when I show up for my 10/25 Allure, passengers aboard Wonder and Indy will have already parked at T1 and won't be disembarking. Any thoughts on where I would be able to park?

We always park in the T1 garage, arriving on the early side and finding plenty of parking. I don't care if I have to park in an overflow/surface lot, I just want to be able to park somewhere!

To clarify... I'm not looking for off-site options, I'm asking if anyone has an educated guess as to being able to park at the terminal like I prefer to do.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, azmjslabs said:

Matt,  I will be leaving from Winter Garden to Royal Caribbean CT1 for trip on Allure.  Just wondering about what do you pay for of your Lify ride to the port? 

I want to say it's right around $100 each way, maybe less if you can time it when there's less demand.  

You can do a mock booking now and get a ballpark idea.  The cost shouldn't fluctuate too much to when you actually need it.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, there was plenty of surface lot parking as late as noon yesterday for Allure’s 1st cruise from PC… and that was with Wonder & Indy passengers already parked.

The new lot right next to the garage is very convenient. There’s no roof obviously but it’s so close to the porters & terminal entrance that it didn’t really take any longer than parking on garage level 2 & waiting for an elevator can.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Allure this morning, her first 4 night Bahamas run. I was a little concerned about finding parking in T1 garage as Wonder cars were already there. (Indy had left to homeport in Miami). 

One thing that irked us was they make you drive into lower level, merge with luggage drop off people then finally go up the ramps. We were carryon only so really wanted to just enter and go up. They really should consider letting people go directly up that aren’t checking luggage. It just adds more congestion. 

Garage didn’t open until 9:30. Plenty of spaces up on level 3. Never saw the surface lots this morning. Wasn’t paying attention 

3 minutes ago, Jill said:

Garage didn’t open until 9:30. Plenty of spaces up on level 3. Never saw the surface lots this morning. Wasn’t paying attention 

No surprise there. If there were tons of spots with Wonder/Allure/Indy all at the same time, Terminal 1 can easily handle 2 Oasis class ships. I expect to be back in the garage for our future Wonder cruises when we get there around 9:30-10:00am like we normally do.