Starbucks Gift Cards?

pheenix99

... and to add to @OCSC Mike's comment, IF the ship serves Starbucks products in a cafe onboard (eg. Cafe Promenade on Wonder OTS), it is included in both the Refreshment and Deluxe Beverage packages! I also noticed folks using their Cafe Select coffee drink cards there as well.

As an example, Wonder has a Starbucks "kiosk" AND sells Starbucks products in the Cafe Promenade...

Kiosk... more options and will accept your Starbucks gift cards, but none of the drink packages...

EC10D319-7CA4-465D-80B2-C1225F1D2F5F.thumb.jpeg.aa6f14a7c29d06777fe1267d962507d2.jpeg

Cafe Promenade menu... accepts beverage packages and cafe select coffee drink cards, but not Starbucks gift cards... we took full advantage of our drink package!

E954CBB4-68FD-4A2C-96D8-671E68A69B97.thumb.jpeg.fa4bc306a83beffb1c464af4c1666915.jpeg

B1F2FDA9-1795-46EE-A298-781F5DDF5255.thumb.jpeg.19eb947ebc441f20785989ca70c8f78b.jpeg

7 minutes ago, pheenix99 said:

I know everything on board is keycard linked. I figured if I could keep a few dollars off my balance, then it's worth a shot.

No reason not to. If I didn't have access to the Diamond Lounge coffee machine I'd do the same thing.

If only the machine could make iced drinks.

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

No reason not to. If I didn't have access to the Diamond Lounge coffee machine I'd do the same thing.

If only the machine could make iced drinks.

According to my coworker, you just need ice to make an iced drink. He goes to get ice before he makes coffee in the DL. If staying in a suite, he has the suite lounge crew do it. 

36 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

According to my coworker, you just need ice to make an iced drink. He goes to get ice before he makes coffee in the DL. If staying in a suite, he has the suite lounge crew do it. 

I don't want to just pour a hot coffee drink over ice (that's not really iced coffee, that's just cold diluted coffee). The machine would have to actually dispense a cold beverage... is your coworker saying the machine can do that?

15 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I don't want to just pour a hot coffee drink over ice (that's not really iced coffee, that's just cold diluted coffee). The machine would have to actually dispense a cold beverage... is your coworker saying the machine can do that?

Hot drink poured on ice....That's all an Iced Latte is, and Iced coffee... right?  I only know what Dunkin give me for my wife- I don't drink coffee, but pretty sure they just dispense hot product into a cup of ice 

14 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Hot drink poured on ice....That's all an Iced Latte is, and Iced coffee... right?  I only know what Dunkin give me for my wife- I don't drink coffee, but pretty sure they just dispense hot product into a cup of ice 

No, it's already cold coffee (used for a latte or cappuccino or whatever you order) poured over ice. If you pour hot coffee over tons of ice just to make it cold you get a very watery, diluted drink.

BTW, I'm sounding like a coffee snob here and I'm really not. I enjoy the DL/SL machine b/c at home I make cheap stuff in my Mr. Coffee every morning, lol, so having complimentary cappuccino is a treat. I've poured my own coffee over ice to make a very low budget iced coffee before. It serves its purpose but it's very weak coffee that way.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Lol, no he is an idiot. He is saying he makes his coffee cold. 

41 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Will there be a Starbucks on icon and Utopia.  It’s not included in the link @smokeybandit gave.  Not sure it just hasn’t been updated yet.

Definitely Utopia (which will be nearly identical to Wonder) and I haven't paid attention to Icon b/c it doesn't currently interest me but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

On 8/2/2023 at 1:01 PM, OCSC Mike said:

No, it's already cold coffee (used for a latte or cappuccino or whatever you order) poured over ice. If you pour hot coffee over tons of ice just to make it cold you get a very watery, diluted drink.

BTW, I'm sounding like a coffee snob here and I'm really not. I enjoy the DL/SL machine b/c at home I make cheap stuff in my Mr. Coffee every morning, lol, so having complimentary cappuccino is a treat. I've poured my own coffee over ice to make a very low budget iced coffee before. It serves its purpose but it's very weak coffee that way.

The iced lattes I’ve had at cafe promenade put hot coffee with the milk on ice.  I  always grossed out on how “warm “ the coffee starts out, needs lots of stirring.

the “hot” lattes in the Diamond Lounge are warm.  I think the result would be the same if poured over ice. (Minus the caramel flavor)

2 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

The iced lattes I’ve had at cafe promenade put hot coffee with the milk on ice.  

That doesn’t sound great.

Cappuccinos are my drink of choice in the DL and are usually pretty hot… but this will of course vary by ship/machine.

Wonder had a newer model in June that I hadn’t seen before & I really liked it. You could increase the size of the beverage so I was able to fill the paper to go cups to the very top.

I normally bring a travel mug & fill it from the paper cups but may skip it on my future Wonder cruises. One less thing to pack. 2 full to go cups feeds my addiction pretty well.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Cappuccino is my one and only coffee beverage.  I always add an extra espresso shot to mine as they are too milky otherwise.  2 shots of espresso and one shot of milk froth is perfect !

Off the top of my head, the classic ratio of espresso to milk in a cappuccino is around 1 espresso shot per 4-5 floz of milk (which sounds like what your preference is). How Starbucks and Royal's cafes make it is approximately twice the milk it should have (1 espresso shot to about 10 floz milk) as a tall or venti. Grande is slightly better with the ratio, though it's still too much milk. I haven't tried this in years, but Starbucks had an off menu size called short (8 floz cup size) for hot drinks. Short cappuccinos were made with a ratio of espresso and milk around the classic ratio.

34 minutes ago, Rackham said:

Off the top of my head, the classic ratio of espresso to milk in a cappuccino is around 1 espresso shot per 4-5 floz of milk

That sounds close to what the machines in the DL/SL make... which is why a single cappuccino doesn't come close to filling the to go cups (never checked exactly how much they hold).

I'm not that picky though... they taste good to me and the price is right!

11 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

The iced lattes I’ve had at cafe promenade put hot coffee with the milk on ice.  I  always grossed out on how “warm “ the coffee starts out, needs lots of stirring.

the “hot” lattes in the Diamond Lounge are warm.  I think the result would be the same if poured over ice. (Minus the caramel flavor)

This is kind of how Starbucks makes Iced Lattes, except that Starbucks starts with espresso, then adds milk, then tops off with ice.  The cold milk will cool down the espresso and the fact that espresso is stronger than coffee a little melting of ice usually isn't a big deal.    I watched hundreds if not thousands of iced lattes made this way.   I usually asked for an extra shot of espresso (4 in total) in a venti iced latte.   I've never seen Starbucks start with cold espresso or coffee.  Now, at a large grocery store chain in the Northeast, in their coffee bar, when I get a latte they start with cold espresso.   Those are the best, nice and cold and strong, no need for an extra shot.    

I agree 100% agree with OCSC Mike that hot coffee over ice is not good.  

On 8/2/2023 at 12:30 PM, OCSC Mike said:

I understand what you mean. In the summer, I like iced coffee in the morning got my drive to work, so it's made the night before. Not a huge fan of the coffee over ice version either. What I have gone, especially if I'm going to be out early in the am and want a larger coffee, is get a hot one the day before, allow it to cool a bit, then stick it in my med fridge (basically a small plug in cooler that they give me for one of my meds. Voila - iced coffee in the morning! I would use the cooler, but it's not cold enough for me 

5 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

I understand what you mean. In the summer, I like iced coffee in the morning got my drive to work, so it's made the night before. Not a huge fan of the coffee over ice version either. What I have gone, especially if I'm going to be out early in the am and want a larger coffee, is get a hot one the day before, allow it to cool a bit, then stick it in my med fridge (basically a small plug in cooler that they give me for one of my meds. Voila - iced coffee in the morning! I would use the cooler, but it's not cold enough for me 

I didn't try it but someone suggested a ship hack for making what they said was similar to a Dunkin frozen coffee (never had one but sounds good). I think it involved getting a cup of ice, some vanilla soft serve, and then adding an espresso shot from the DL/SL machine.

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:12 AM, RafaellaCG said:

"Iced Coffee" is actually a very regional phrase! Some places mean a blended coffee drink, some mean an Americano/Cappucino poured over ice, some mean cold brewed. My friend works at a bakery/coffeeshop and always asks for clarification when a tourist orders iced coffee.

And don't get us started on coffee in Australia!

Actual question though - does anyone know if you can use the Starbucks app to pay? Do they have the readers? I've gotten so many gift cards over the years that I rarely use - and I usually just add the balance to my app so I always have it with me on my phone. Hoping to use up some of that instead of paying for coffee or a coffee card. 

Related question: is the line usually short or non-existent at the Starbucks kiosk? I'm hoping that might be another benefit of buying my coffee without a beverage package.