Orlando to Fort Lauderdale

Ike

Hi, I am on the Adventure of the Seas leaving from Fort Lauderdale on the 19th August. I will however be arriving from Orlando on the same day. I intend to travel by Uber or Lyft and leave Orlando at about 7am as my check in time is at 11.30am. Is this a good idea as I hear the route to Fort Lauderdale is picturesque. Are there other road trip options other than the ride share options?

First, I have a hard time believing a 216 mile, 3.25 hour Uber ride would be the most cost effective travel option between Orlando and Ft Lauderdale.  Second, with the airline industry's track record these days, it's generally not recommended to fly into your departure city on the same day as your cruise.  Flying into a different city on the same day seems like a VERY bad idea.  If you have any issues with flight delays, traffic, or even just finding an Uber willing to make that trip, you could end up missing your cruise entirely.

If you must fly same day, please research flights into Ft Lauderdale or Miami.  Those airports are so much more convenient for cruisers.

This route is not picturesque… Flat part of Florida, some orange groves and pasture, but nothing special. I would fly into Ft Lauderdale. If you are stuck with Orlando, consider renting a car and driving. If you have any issues on this route, there are areas with minimal resources. We had a flat tire on this route once. Luckily, we changed it like a NASCAR pit crew and got to the port on time.  If you have anything serious like engine trouble, it would take awhile for help.

9 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

Flying in same day as your cruise AND then having a 3+ hour drive to the port??!! That’s a easy pass for me! That is begging for a missed embarkation. Fly in the day before and save yourself a mild stroke. 

I'm not convinced they are flying into Orlando.  I think they just say they are arriving in Fort Lauderdale from Orlando.  I presume they live there.

It would be odd for a Floridian living in Central Florida to think tne drive is picturesque.   Maybe they will be in the Orlando area for the theme parks and have planned a cruised after that.  

At any rate the best option maybe be a car rental.  

Many area residents drive down the day before and pay for a hotel in South Florida.  

Uber looks to be around $225 off hours, maybe more mid-day.  

Screenshot_20230713_055048_Uber.thumb.jpg.1d46e19697a760c71088967674ad0656.jpg

16 hours ago, Ike said:

Hi, I am on the Adventure of the Seas leaving from Fort Lauderdale on the 19th August. I will however be arriving from Orlando on the same day. I intend to travel by Uber or Lyft and leave Orlando at about 7am as my check in time is at 11.30am. Is this a good idea as I hear the route to Fort Lauderdale is picturesque. Are there other road trip options other than the ride share options?

There’s a comfortable bus that goes from Downtown Orlando to Fort Lauderdale airport. Back in 2015, it costed $20.00. The ride was about four hours. There’s also a new train ride that goes from Orlando to South Florida. I’m not sure if the price, but probably around a $100. 
Lastly, if you reserve a rental car ahead of time, you can pick it up in Orlando and drop it off in Fort Lauderdale. I rented a car to do this back in 2017 and costed me $35. Of course the prices are higher now, but I doubt higher than the Uber.

This is a terrible idea, but if you're dead set on it, I definitely recommend pricing out a one-way rental to pick up at MCO Airport and drop off either at FLL Airport or the cruiseport itself. Either way, you're making it way too easy to miss your cruise with this itinerary. 

Living in FL my entire life, I wouldn't call it picturesque driving to Port Everglades from Orlando unless you are coming from the deserts of Nevada and tired of sand and cacti. It's very flat, straight, with several drive bys of cows and trees and wondering when the next rest stop is. As others have suggested I would try to fly in to Ft Lauderdale Or Miami, Miami will be more of something "to see" on your way to the port. If you can't, then I would rent a car. I wouldn't want to be in rideshare for 4 hours with a chatty driver, both ways, but that's just me 🙂  Hope you enjoy your trip regardless!! Once you get to the port, you won't care how you got there. 😎

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Orlando to Fort Lauderdale

Two options jump out at me.

Car rental or Red Coach bus.

Car rental is straight forward, but you have to rent the car and have the liability with everything that comes with it. Still, it's more cost effective than an Uber ride at that distance.

Red Coach is a "business bus" service that runs through Florida.  I've taken it a number of times pre-pandemic and it was fine for what it is.  Relatively cheap, and you can sleep or be productive (or both).

The advantage of Uber or Lyft is that you go direct to the destination and that’s it. No car to pick up/park or drop off. The ride is just shy of horrifically boring IMHO and the thought of voluntarily getting on a bus for this trip is a mistake. I noticed you didn’t mention cost being an issue so do yourself a favor and just order Uber or Lyft and be done with it.  

• 2 weeks later...