New Cruise Ships

More icon-class?

I'd be willing to bet on that.

Bigger class?

Never say never, but I got a feeling Royal's hitting the current ship maximum when it comes to size and passenger count. While larger ships have economies of scale, they do require beefy shoreside support and enough staff to make them work. On back to back, fully booked Oasis sailings, Royal's needing to demebark and embark ~11,200 passengers and their luggage in maybe 12 hours. Refueling the ship and bringing new provisions aboard has to happen. Which means having suppliers who can reliably deliver or provide the shear quantities of food and fuel required. The port has to be able to screen and check-in approx. 5600 people within a narrow window of time. Larger ships will require additional shoreside peeps just to get people aboard in facilities probably not designed to handle that many. Next, the ship needs places to go. There's only so many ports which can handle an Oasis-class ship. Not just with docking, but also with shorex opportunities and things to do with that many people visiting at once (not to mention any other ships in port). 

More Icon-Class - most definitely. I'd say at least 2 or 3 more. I think around 2030 they might have to do some smaller vessels but no smaller than the current Voyager Class i'd say. Something like a RCL take on the Edge-Class could be a possibility. As the Radiance Class & Voyager Class will be approaching 30 years old by then. 

I don't think a size in between would be worth it-- the size difference isn't THAT much that an in between one would make sense. Maybe some new, slightly smaller ones and definitely more Icon ships, that's already in the works 

Rackham posted this link in another thread.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-ship-orderbook/

It shows Icon 2 and 3 planned for '25 and '26. Once Icon starts sailing next year, they'll make a decision what to build next.

Seems to me like they should just amplify Liberty, Allure, and maybe the smaller ships, but maybe they will do that once some of the Covid debt is paid off.

14 minutes ago, ApexoftheSeas said:

How many Icon class do you think they will make? 3? 6? 10?

Based on nothing more than the pattern of previous classes, I feel like it's safe to assume that another batch of 3 Icons will be ordered a few years down the road from now, maybe 6-10 years behind the first batch.  But that's assuming a lot of things will stay the same…

13 minutes ago, Thumper44 said:

Based on nothing more than the pattern of previous classes, I feel like it's safe to assume that another batch of 3 Icons will be ordered a few years down the road from now, maybe 6-10 years behind the first batch.  But that's assuming a lot of things will stay the same…

Do you think a new class could be ordered to fill the gap?

2 hours ago, ApexoftheSeas said:

Do you think a new class could be ordered to fill the gap?

With one step down in sizing, Royal has the Quantum classes, that have only 5 ships between them, which could be ordered. On the smaller end, there's rumors of a Discovery-class in the handy Panamax size to slot in between Voyager and Radiance classes as Royal's tiniest ships leave the fleet. There's really no reason to design another Oasis or Icon sized ship when both of those classes are no where near their end of life.

2 hours ago, Rackham said:

With one step down in sizing, Royal has the Quantum classes, that have only 5 ships between them, which could be ordered. On the smaller end, there's rumors of a Discovery-class in the handy Panamax size to slot in between Voyager and Radiance classes as Royal's tiniest ships leave the fleet. There's really no reason to design another Oasis or Icon sized ship when both of those classes are no where near their end of life.

My guess is that Project Discovery will yield a neoPanamax sized ship.  I really don't see them building something as small as a Panamax vessel.  

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

My guess is that Project Discovery will yield a neoPanamax sized ship.  I really don't see them building something as small as a Panamax vessel.  

I think you're exactly right about Project Discovery.  Also Meyer Turku shipyards announced a climate-neutral cruise ship project that they projected for 2035, which seems to be several years behind the rumors of Project Discovery, of which various insiders and ship's captains have said is just a few years out (if that's accurate).

So I'm seeing the following ship launch schedule:

• 2025  Icon 2 confirmed
  • 2026  Icon 3 confirmed
  • also 2026?  Project Discovery ship 1?  from (Chantiers de L'Antlantique or Meyer Werft perhaps?)
  • 2027? Discovery 2?
  • 2028? Discover 3?
  • 2029-2034  additional batch of Icons or Discovery ships?  This is the timeframe where we might see Radiance or Voyager ships being retired.
  • 2035  Meyer Turku's next class of ship after Icon?

2 hours ago, Rackham said:

I think Royal is done with Quantum class ships I don't think we will see any more orders for another one of those although I do think Quantum Class ships would be perfect for cruises out of the Middle East (Dubai), South America/Antartica these of course are seasonal markets, however, I don't see Royal placing their ships in those markets except for the occasional repositioning cruise.

My hope is Project Discovery will yield a ship somewhere in size between Radiance and Freedom that will keep Royal in markets where large mega ships like Oasis and Icon simply can't go do to their size.  I also would love to see a ship that would allow Royal to better compete against NCL in the Panama Canal market. In 2024 NCL is offering 19 Panama Canal cruises between January through April and then October through December while Royal only has 3 cruises for the entire year.  With Royal only offering 3 cruises if the dates don't work for me I have to scratch Panama Canal cruises from my list or cruise on a different line. 

I would love to see Royal offer a more Panama Canal cruises but I'm not holding my breath. 

3 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

My hope is Project Discovery will yield a ship somewhere in size between Radiance and Freedom that will keep Royal in markets where large mega ships like Oasis and Icon simply can't go do to their size.  I also would love to see a ship that would allow Royal to better compete against NCL in the Panama Canal market.

Do cruise ships go through the larger Neo-panamax locks yet?

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Norwegian bliss, similar size to freedom/quantum class, went through a few years ago

In 2024 NCL will send Encore, Bliss through the canal several times as well as some small ships like Gem, Jewel and Sun. 

So yes larger ships can go through the canal but they have to be of the right design and I believe in a different thread twangster stated Royals ship can't fit because of the overhang and also the life boats. 

• 2 weeks later...