Internet Package?

Hi! 

We are set to go on our first cruise and we keep going back and forth on the internet package. We are doing an 8 night southern Caribbean cruise and the cost of the internet package is quite steep ($231). This is the cheapest I've seen it get so far. Is it worth it to get the internet package? Has anyone done a cruise with and without buying it, if so did you regret not having it? 

• Cassandra C changed the title to Internet Package?

As @Pattycruise says, it's very subjective. If you're able to completely disconnect and don't use the Internet much at home, then potentially it's worth saving your money, as the packages aren't cheap. You can almost certainly find some free WiFi in your ports if you need to just check emails occasionally or make a quick call home.

I tried going without once, on a port-intensive Med cruise where I had access to my mobile data in every port but I swore never again. Once the ship was out at sea each evening and I was cut off from the virtual world I almost felt bereft. Having Internet access on board definitely ennhances my cruise experience so I have bitten the bullet ever since.

We do not get the internet package.  Doubt we ever will.   One of our phones goes into the safe, the other goes into airplane mode and is turned into camera. You should consider it, we really enjoy being "disconnected".  You could put the money towards an excursion, daily gratuities, a drink package, dinning package ect.  Enjoy the people you are with, the ship, the ocean, the ports. Stay off the screen, everything will be there on the "connected" world when you return.  

The first device would have been 16.99, but getting two brings a discount.  $231 for 2 devices on 8 days means the average device cost getting 2 divices where the single would have been 16.99 is about 14.44.  The more devices you add (up to 4), brings more discount.  My sailing's best single price has been $15.99, but doing a 4 device plan at that rate brought the per device pre day cost down to 12.50

To make it less expensive you can purchase one package for one device and pass it back and forth to the parties in your group. My wife and I have this arrangement and I use it during certain times for work and she uses it the other for her emails, texts and "games". We each have the other's email accounts on our phones (except my work) and so we are not out of touch during the voyage.

I spent a lot of years cruising without any electronics.  I am a computer programmer and that was my way of disconnecting.  It was great.  The day we got on the ship the cell phones went into the safe and stayed there until the end of the cruise.  We would take friends with us and as long as I paid for the trip they were under the same rules.  My son is 26 and he still cruises disconnected most of the time.

Full Disclosure:   Now I have to tell you; in the last 3 years I purchase the internet package every time because of my work.  For me to be gone from work for 7 to 14 days can be an issue and they are willing to pay me overtime to take care of issues.  This helps me pay for the trip and for the internet package.  My son is taking online classes getting his teaching credential, so he uses the same internet package to do his homework while on the cruise ship.

Last Note:  If it was not for my work, I would not get the internet package and would cruise disconnected.

1 hour ago, Cassandra C said:

The Royal Caribbean site shows it coming up to $231 for 2 devices with 1 person on the plan. 

I get $272 for 1 person 2 devices for Icon in May.

The advertised rate is $22.99 per day before you even put in how many people, devices, etc. Those getting $16.00 a day are super lucky. Thinking about getting for just one device for total of $160 and maybe just logging in and out between us?

15 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I get $272 for 1 person 2 devices for Icon in May.

The advertised rate is $22.99 per day before you even put in how many people, devices, etc. Those getting $16.00 a day are super lucky. Thinking about getting for just one device for total of $160 and maybe just logging in and out between us?

That's a good idea, I think we might do that just to save some money and be able to still check on things at home!