Hurricane Brett?!?!🤬🤬🤬

So…it looks like a potential 1-2 punch of storms are headed towards the Caribbean. My wife and I are going on our first cruise on Mariner in 18 days. We are west coasters who deal with wildfires and snowstorms, not hurricanes. 

Help me with pointers to be ready for these storms and their potential impact on us!  A little freaking out is happening right now!!  Any pointers will be appreciated!

Thank you fellow Bloggers!!

Looking at the models and analysis on tropicaltidbits.com, both of these systems should be over prior to you cruise. However,  there might be others that appear. 

The biggest concern is landfall at your departure port while you are there. If the happens, then don't get on the airplane to your departure port. Royal won't send the ship there in that event anyway, so there isn't any point in going there. Otherwise,  Royal will route around the storm.

19 minutes ago, Geronimo said:

So…it looks like a potential 1-2 punch of storms are headed towards the Caribbean. My wife and I are going on our first cruise on Mariner in 18 days. We are west coasters who deal with wildfires and snowstorms, not hurricanes. 

Help me with pointers to be ready for these storms and their potential impact on us!  A little freaking out is happening right now!!  Any pointers will be appreciated!

Thank you fellow Bloggers!!

Consider travel insurance, as with any expensive vacation.  Try not to worry.  If the storm pass through your destination ports before the cruise, you may find the beaches are cleaner and nicer.  We loved Coco Cay when our cruise arrived there a few days after a major storm.

Could be itinerary change, could be a cruise to nowhere, could be nothing at all.  Risk of sailing in Atlantic Basin hurricane season, which we opt not to do.  It is kinda early in the season for a Cape Verde storm; they typically develop in mid August through mid to late October. Emphasis on typically........

If you want dispassionate info. on a named storm, may I suggest the National Hurricane Center website (nhc.noaa.gov) & NOT any electronic media outlet, television and cable network channels specifically. They all parrot the NHC info with heavy embellishment  because eyeballs on TV's & clicks on websites are what they're in business for.

Remember the old TV news adage "If it bleeds it leads".

All of the tracks seem to go very close to the BVI, St Kitts and Puerto Rico, three of our ports. I guess my biggest fear is storm damage shutting everything down. Do excursions still tend to happen?  If the itinerary changes will different shore excursions be put in the cruise planner?

4 minutes ago, Geronimo said:

All of the tracks seem to go very close to the BVI, St Kitts and Puerto Rico, three of our ports. I guess my biggest fear is storm damage shutting everything down. Do excursions still tend to happen?  If the itinerary changes will different shore excursions be put in the cruise planner?

If they can shift to an alternate port they will have shore excursions available. There is a shore excursion desk onboard as well.

Try not to worry. And is way to early to see where Brett is traveling or if it fizzes out.  I have traveled when hurricanes are around.  Hurricanes move slow and ships can avoid them pretty much.  Only problem is possible land fall to a place you will port.  Then you could have a port cancelled or changed.   I would not even think twice about it.  And most all hurricanes are in September-ish. 

Deep breaths. I am a 46 year local and my best advice is to not fall victim to the media hype machine and never ever trust the spaghetti hurricane models! Port and airport impacts would be your biggest issue as the ships reroute for big storms and for the most part do a great job of keeping you in the sun & fun. I wouldn’t (and don’t) hesitate to book cruises in hurricane season. All the stars would have to align to ruin your vacation and I would consider that low probability. 

In a fit of 'why did I get up at 630 am for no reason', fired up the Keurig and looked at the hurricane center satellite imaging page. Was immediately drawn to the infrared image loop. Wow, there's dry air being drawn into it and quite a lot, along with distinct west to east wind displacing the weather there is from the center.

Can't become a hurricane like that.................

1 minute ago, Geronimo said:

Well that is good news!  I just keep hearing “these storms never happen here this early” and it gets you thinking how unlucky life can seem sometimes. I hope things take down weather wise. I really want to go on this cruise!!

Don't confuse "never" with "rarely."

You'll be fine.