Sloth info?

deep1

Finally pulled the trigger on a cruise that includes Roatan. Fiancé doing backflips. She's an animal lover but over the top sloth maniac! She's asking questions I don't have answers to.  I could use any intel possible about what it takes to get a substantial interactive encounter with one. I take it there are more than one facility to get to hold them. Which would you suggest or say steer clear of? Any must do things? How about no no's? I know nothing about them at all. Like what do they eat? How long do they live? Any intel would be deeply appreciated... 

1 hour ago, deep1 said:

Finally pulled the trigger on a cruise that includes Roatan. Fiancé doing backflips. She's an animal lover but over the top sloth maniac! She's asking questions I don't have answers to.  I could use any intel possible about what it takes to get a substantial interactive encounter with one. I take it there are more than one facility to get to hold them. Which would you suggest or say steer clear of? Any must do things? How about no no's? I know nothing about them at all. Like what do they eat? How long do they live? Any intel would be deeply appreciated... 

We actually booked an excursion with Daniel Johnson's on our cruise to Roatan.  We are suppose to have a private driver pick us up and take us where we want to go for the day including snorkeling. 

I've been to Daniel Johnson a few times.  We absolutely love it there.  Although you are holding the sloths and can get very good video and pictures, you must remain very still with the sloths.  Get off the ship early because once the sloths don't want to be held anymore, they will stop people from holding them, their sloths come first, not the guests.  Yes, you will get a private driver for the day, the snorkeling is done right at the sight Daniel has his own boats.  The boats are Pittsburgh steelers themed (if you can get beyond that) sorry we're from Cleveland.   If you're lucky Daniel Johnson (the owner) might be your captain of the boat and take you to the off shore snorkeling and share his life stories with you.  We can't say enough wonderful things about him, his family, and his business. Highly recommended.  I'd recommend going to the iguana add on, too. It's at a different facility, but another amazing animal encounter that your driver will take you to.

Last time I was in Roatan, I booked the Mayan Eco Park through Royal Caribbean.  Cost was about $35 per person. I wouldn't call it the best excursion I've ever taken, but we did hold a sloth, monkey and snake.  The price was certainly reasonable.

It started off with a guided walk about 1/2 mile through the jungle (all downhill, so pretty easy). Then we entered the park.  I a lot of ways, it was similar to a zoo.  Some animals were in cages. Some roamed free.  The guide was knowledgeable and very helpful.  

After allowing monkeys to climb on us for pictures, we went for a second walk through the jungle.  This one went over some hanging bridges, which was a little freaky.  Definitely not for someone who is afraid of heights! (you could have waited for the walk to conclude and continued on, but they really didn't tell us that) Once we came out of the jungle, there were handlers there and we held a sloth and snake.  Observed some more monkeys and headed back to the bus.

If sloths are your thing, then this is a great excursion for that!

28 minutes ago, steverk said:

Last time I was in Roatan, I booked the Mayan Eco Park through Royal Caribbean.  Cost was about $35 per person. I wouldn't call it the best excursion I've ever taken, but we did hold a sloth, monkey and snake.  The price was certainly reasonable.

It started off with a guided walk about 1/2 mile through the jungle (all downhill, so pretty easy). Then we entered the park.  I a lot of ways, it was similar to a zoo.  Some animals were in cages. Some roamed free.  The guide was knowledgeable and very helpful.  

After allowing monkeys to climb on us for pictures, we went for a second walk through the jungle.  This one went over some hanging bridges, which was a little freaky.  Definitely not for someone who is afraid of heights! (you could have waited for the walk to conclude and continued on, but they really didn't tell us that) Once we came out of the jungle, there were handlers there and we held a sloth and snake.  Observed some more monkeys and headed back to the bus.

If sloths are your thing, then this is a great excursion for that!

I guess I'm going to book that next cruise to Roatan! These sound like wonderful excursion experiences!

3 hours ago, Maggie M said:

I guess I'm going to book that next cruise to Roatan! These sound like wonderful excursion experiences!

Roatan is a really great port. It is a very poor island,  but it relies on tourists and there are some great activities at reasonable prices. 

Right now the plan is for a driver. This Daniel Johnson place sounds like a winner...  I see above they have snorkeling from there as well? That would make life easy. I'd still like to know as much as I can about sloths themselves... If that interaction and the snorkeling are taken care of that leaves some time. I was reading about lobster lunch somewhere? Anybody with info on that? That would be icing on the cake...  Any shops with sloth souvenirs?