What's missing?

FManke

Views of the ocean.  This is my biggest gripe with RCI builds - ships built since Voyager OTS focus inward, not outward.

If you can't see the ocean, isn't it just like staying in a hotel? Or like going to the beach and never lying on the sand?

It's really minor, but I wish they'd offer live music in the main dining room throughout dinner.  At best, you get 1 hour of live music but I always enjoyed having it available.

They used to.  Some of it good enough that we bought CD's.  I too miss the piano player or the string trio that would play from the landing on the grand staircase...

I love Radiance class.  Glass to the outside everywhere.  No mater what I'm doing I always feel 'connected' to where I am.  The "glass/exterior" elevators are a treat, and I still feel that the Solarium design is the best ever!

framke, on Serenade, do grab a kemmelwerk (sp?) sandwich in the Solarium Cafe, and they have a good variety of snacks all the way from breakfast till the wee hours.  There were quite a few mornings last Nov when I would give in to temptation early in the morning and go grab "pre-breakfast" there before the WJ opened up!  and of course I was there every night for my pizza and misc munchies fix!  (clothes were tight after 11 days!)

I love Radiance class.  Glass to the outside everywhere.  No mater what I'm doing I always feel 'connected' to where I am.  The "glass/exterior" elevators are a treat, and I still feel that the Solarium design is the best ever!

framke, on Serenade, do grab a kemmelwerk (sp?) sandwich in the Solarium Cafe, and they have a good variety of snacks all the way from breakfast till the wee hours.  There were quite a few mornings last Nov when I would give in to temptation early in the morning and go grab "pre-breakfast" there before the WJ opened up!  and of course I was there every night for my pizza and misc munchies fix!  (clothes were tight after 11 days!)

Reading everything on line here, I thought that might be a good place to grab lunch on embarkation day, and avoid the Windjammer.

Also who doesn't love some "pre-breakfast appetizers!"

Reading everything on line here, I thought that might be a good place to grab lunch on embarkation day, and avoid the Windjammer.

its a very small venu so usually after the showtime in the theater lets out there's a line within 10 minutes.  The late nite lighting and atmosphere in the solarium is very peaceful to me.  

and i think this last time I actually did have lunch there on day one!  (warning... the honey-stung chicken is only in the WJ (day one famous favorite!)

its a very small venu so usually after the showtime in the theater lets out there's a line within 10 minutes.  The late nite lighting and atmosphere in the solarium is very peaceful to me.  

and i think this last time I actually did have lunch there on day one!  (warning... the honey-stung chicken is only in the WJ (day one famous favorite!)

I like short lines more than I like chicken! Although I've read it's pretty great!

It is not NY, it is not Chicago, it is deliciously bad!  

nothing to write home about, barely better (if at all) than frozen, but most (me included) feel that it is perfect for a late night snack on the seas!

Don't know another way to elaborate on "deliciously bad"!

It is not NY, it is not Chicago, it is deliciously bad!  

nothing to write home about, barely better (if at all) than frozen, but most (me included) feel that it is perfect for a late night snack on the seas!

Don't know another way to elaborate on "deliciously bad"!

I like "good-bad" better than "bad-good!" if you know what I mean. I'm sure the surroundings make it all the better!

I would have to say...a component of variety in the Windjammer.

There used to be a section (I can't remember what they used to call it) that was a new feature dish everyday (for lunch). It was a section about 6 feet wide where one day it was Greek, next day Indian, etc., etc. That was the first place we used to go...see what the feature was that day. There's nothing wrong with the Windjammer...but it could use a little 'try something different today' section.

I thought I read somewhere that they still did them one night during the cruise? Maybe not on RCCL.

I believe that they do something on one of the ships when she sails late out of Nassau, so that's what you may be thinking of.  In addition, one of the lines, Carnival possibly, is having a throwback night on their ships which is '80s themed and includes a midnight buffet like in decades past on cruise ships.

How good? I live outside Chicago, so I'm pretty picky, as I believe we have some of the best in the country! Those on the East Coast especially NY, might say otherwise though! ;)

I meant good pizza is missing. It doesn't even come close to good Lou Malnottis, Genos or Giordanos...it's thin, it's cardboard, its bad, but for something to eat at 1 am, it does ok...but it's just not very good.

How good? I live outside Chicago, so I'm pretty picky, as I believe we have some of the best in the country! Those on the East Coast especially NY, might say otherwise though! ;)

Matt will debate you on this one for sure.  Being from the NW surburbs I agree with you that we have some of the best pizza, I'm more of a crispy thin-crust (cut into squares of course) guy than deep dish, but a nice Lou Malnati's Is good also.

What I miss, and this is a weird one, is the old "bong" sound that was made when they swiped your Seapass getting on and off the ship.

Yeah, I  miss the ol' "BONG" too.  I don't like the new chime.

We miss the 'bing bong' chime that used to come before an announcement on the PA system. I think it was the Captain of the NOS that used to say it verbally after they took it away. It would have made a great ring tone.

We miss the 'bing bong' chime that used to come before an announcement on the PA system. I think it was the Captain of the NOS that used to say it verbally after they took it away. It would have made a great ring tone.

I guess I hadn't noticed that they no longer "bong" before an announcement !  I can never hear the announcements anyway so I guess I shouldn't be surprise that there's no longer a "bong".

When did they stop that ??

I guess I hadn't noticed that they no longer "bong" before an announcement !  I can never hear the announcements anyway so I guess I shouldn't be surprise that there's no longer a "bong".

When did they stop that ??

Has to be at least seven...maybe eight years. It has been a while,

I'll echo those saying good pizza.  Sorrento's barely qualifies as pizza, the cheese is god awful.  There are many frozen varieties that are better.  Along with that topic, a place for quick late night eats would be nice, other than Sorrento's.  Something with quick bar type food, chicken fingers, fries, burgers, etc. After a few alcohol infused hours in the various bars on the ship, come midnight or 1 am something to soak it up on the way back to my room would be good.

I can't believe I am complaining about lack of food availability on a cruise.  

The only line that does late night well in my opinion is NCL as they have a 24 restaurant that serves bar food that's cooked to order. Carnival has 24 hour pizza, which is quite good and a ski that makes to order sandwiches until 11 pm. HAL and Princess keeps their buffets open to 11 and some deck good offerings until 10 on, but after that you're limited to room service.

The only line that does late night well in my opinion is NCL as they have a 24 restaurant that serves bar food that's cooked to order. Carnival has 24 hour pizza, which is quite good and a ski that makes to order sandwiches until 11 pm. HAL and Princess keeps their buffets open to 11 and some deck good offerings until 10 on, but after that you're limited to room service.

Being that this will be our first cruise, and not really knowing, is there that much of a demand for late night food? Is it like Vegas, are people up truly all night long?

Being that this will be our first cruise, and not really knowing, is there that much of a demand for late night food? Is it like Vegas, are people up truly all night long?

There's some demand, especially among early diners and those who are up late after the shows. I've been known to hurry the pizza place around midnight.

There's some demand, especially among early diners and those who are up late after the shows. I've been known to hurry the pizza place around midnight.

I think maybe offering a type of "grab n go" place with premade sandwiches, salads, snacks and such might be well received. But then again, it probably wouldn't be enough for some. It might be a nice "included" alternative to room service. And if you wanted something hot, late at night, spend the $7.95.