monctonguy

Another "included" perk being removed......

Dining in the cabin is not always optional, as when there is an outbreak of illness and some passengers must remain in their cabins per direction of the ship's physician. I wonder if these passengers would receive a fee waiver?

Also, is the customary 18% gratuity added to the $7.95?

From everything I've heard and read, this is included asking with the pay per view movies in the cabin.

I guess to me, the charge for room service outside of morning coffee delivery really just isn't a big deal to me. If I want a snack, I'd be more compelled to make a quick Windjammer or Cafe Promenade run rather than sit in my room and wait for something from a very limited menu to be brought to me. I can grab a drink while I'm out, too! 

While I wouldn't expect passengers to have the warm and fuzzies about this, it isn't out of line with the industry.  Carnival has some complimentary items, but many things come with a charge.  NCL does something similar, though I beleive there is a "delivery charge" for all items (don't quote me on that).  Up to this point, hot breakfast items being complimentary was a real outlier, even some premium lines restrict hot breakfast room service to suite/concierge guests.

What remains to be seen is if this practice will increase the speed of delivery or quality of the food - both of which seem poor on many cruise lines.

I think what you said about food quality is a key point. If it's just mediocre food, does it make it any better, just because they bring it to you? Same goes for hotel room service for instance. When was the last time you said, "Wow, I really enjoyed that $25 omelet!" You pay for the convenience more than the food.

Ok, now you are just showing off! Or showing your age! Or both! :D

Actually that was a typo... it was 39.9

:P

but others here have brought up a valid point:  I too don't expect things to stay the same...everything will increase eventually.  All cruiselines do things a little differently than the others in order to differentiate themselves.  But, they are also not stupid, as they see others charging for something and start to wonder if they are leaving money on the table?

They likely looked at their operational costs for R/S as a whole, and figured that if they charge, its a bit of income to offset that cost.  if the utilization declines, then thats a cost reduction.  Win-win if they can manage the initial customer reaction.

1. So now revenue is generated for this service
  2. Staff and cruise line is making money or breaking even on Room Service
  3. Room service no longer hitting the bottom line for RCCL.
  4. NOW WE SHOULD SEE SOMETHING REDUCED IN PRICE OR SOMETHING THEY CHARGED FOR SHOULD BE FREE NOW.

Looking at the very top level of what the airlines are doing now, bringing back free food service on some flights.  

Who knows what the right answer is?  Just my opinion. 

I tend to try and persuade people to cruise, in Canada it's not as common of a thing as it is in the US. I see many misconceptions about cruising.

When I tell people 'everything is included', I hate having to say 'except this' or 'doesn't include that'.

The more exceptions there are the less people trust the price.

And gas used to be a $1 a gallon!

And I made $3.35 an hour at my first job in high school; that doesn't negate the fact that by removing something that costs them money--and was previously included in the cost of the cruise--they've effectively raised the cruise fare as you now have to pay more onboard for the same level of service.

Personally, I think this is an underhanded way to essentially increase fares rather than actually increasing the fares by a few dollars a day.  In all likelihood, this is an attempt to stay competitive price-wise against the competing lines.  Unfortunately, it looks like Royal, and perhaps the rest of the industry, is going the way of the airlines.

Perhaps I need to start looking up market . . . 

I guess to me, the charge for room service outside of morning coffee delivery really just isn't a big deal to me. If I want a snack, I'd be more compelled to make a quick Windjammer or Cafe Promenade run rather than sit in my room and wait for something from a very limited menu to be brought to me. I can grab a drink while I'm out, too! 

It truly doesn't impact me as I don't use room service.  I go to the Windjammer and bring it back to the family as there's better food available there.  The reason I've been so vocal is on principle alone.  I was equally furious when JR went from complimentary to $$$ as well.

Minus morning coffee on the balcony, we did not use room service much.  Even with two teen boys, we ordered a burger and pizza one night. The food was mediocre at best and took FOREVER to arrive.  Also, on our last November trip, trays of half-eaten food all over the halls with so many kids on board.  Maybe the cruise lines are discouraging people from using room service -- it just jams everything up and has people scrambling to deliver food, not get tipped half the time, and have to pick up dishes left and right.  If they up the quality I might not mind the up-charge, but free wasn't even worth it for us last time.  On a side note, if you DO order room service, don't stiff the delivery people of their tip -- you are not punishing RCI at all, rather the poor person who did their job.  If you've just paid a couple thousand for a cruise, I don't think they can relate to your expressing anger at the policy change by not giving them a $2-3 tip.

Yes..I have used room service many times....usually mornings(which is still "free" for now) as well as often when having a late dinner and in the cabin getting ready or for an evening snack.

While I would never rave about the food, it was a nice "perk".

IF they want to start charging for every little thing, and lower the base cruise fare I am all for that. But we all know that's not the case. If it is, then great.

Going from NOTHING to $8 is a big jump..they charged $3.95 after midnight, so why not just charge that amount all day or gradually increase it. While that wouldn't make everyone happy, it would at least be a little better than the current plan.

From what I understand, other cruise lines do charge and have charged for years BUT, they still offer some basic items for free AND what you do pay for is much better options and variety.

And while I have not cruised for long(only started in 2013) and I have only done 10 cruises.....its been a lot of changes and upcharges and increases in just those 4 years! The reason why I didn't cruise(and the reason why a lot of ppl I know didn't cruise) was because of all the extra's that you walked off the ship at the end of the cruise having to pay for. Often doubles or triples the cost of the cruise. Compared to an AI resort where you pay 100% up front and there is no extra charges whatsoever.

While other cruise lines seem to be going the way of including more perks and features, royal seems to be wanting to make you pay for everything little extra onboard.

It's disappointing...and while yes, I could cruise any other line, I have enjoyed my Royal experiences and don't want to have to change cause they have priced me out of their cruise line and offered me nothing extra in return.

I really think this has to do with offsetting the costs of expansion, bigger ships, lifeguards among other things.

I think the fact that they are now charging for something that was "free" has people upset. 

I believe you are correct. For many people, this is the principle of having it available at no cost versus now having to pay for it.

I like to think of it as losing something they were already paying for...

I think there is some truth to that statement. Nothing on the ship is free, just included.

At least we now know that Royal is doing this for our benefit.

"This was introduced to manage the high demand [for room service]," Royal Caribbean representative Lyan Sierra-Caro explained.

I actually think this is going to backfire and lead to more waste. Why order one meal when you can order four for the same price? This also seems to be the stock reason Royal and some of the other cruise lines use to justify charging for something that used to be complimentary. And while I don't believe it given the lack of demand I have seen in Johnny Rockets compared to years past, I will acknowledge that this is perhaps the reason why the listed the price at Sabor in order to simulate demand. Of course, Rita's is relatively cheap and no one seems to dine there, and I'm not sure I even would if it were free.

I guess my biggest concern is on the smaller did where the Park Cafes in the Solarium are really lacking and limited to a couple of premade sandwiches, cheese or pepperoni pizza, and hot dogs. Perhaps if this charge was only on the bigger ships with more options I'd be less annoyed. And while I know this seems petty, it has me reconsidering the two Royal cruises I was planning to book this week with the new schedules out and less disappointed for cancelling my Vision cruise.

This one change won't really affect me, since I'm not likely to use room service anyway, but I don't like the continuation of the trend of nickel-and-diming.

These places to eat are included, but these places are not.  These beverages are included, but these are not.  Buy a drink package!  Now these drinks are included, but these are not.  This show is included, but this show is not...  On and on and on...

If they couple this with something new and complementary, I'd feel better.  More late night food options that aren't pizza would be a welcome addition.

The more exceptions there are the less people trust the price.

This is the crux of my biggest issue with pricing a cruise. Before I do a dummy booking, it took a while to get in the habit of adding taxes and port fees. At first, it was always a rude awakening when the published fares didn't represent the actual cost. 

So far, among my friends, I convinced one family to do a cruise. Now, after their cruise, they are hooked, but it took lots of info sessions to help them understand what is and is not included, and how to compare cabins, itineraries, ships, etc. There are so many factors, it's easy to forget things. If RC is trying to maintain a certain cost of goods percentage or to offset labor that could be directed elsewhere to maintain overall profitablility, they needed to make this change, but these things always tend to lead to customer dissatisfaction. It's a trade-off and a risk. I will watch with interest how this plays out once RC gets reviews back after this is put in place. I suspect that if upcharging hot foods in room service is standard within the industry, RC will be willing to take the PR lumps, and it's here to stay.

It truly doesn't impact me as I don't use room service.  I go to the Windjammer and bring it back to the family as there's better food available there.  The reason I've been so vocal is on principle alone.  I was equally furious when JR went from complimentary to $$$ as well.

While I totally understand what you're saying regarding the principle, it seems a little bit like being mad just to be mad. 

I do believe this was a really nice perk for those who spend a lot of time in the room or those who have children to make it easier to manage, as well as a perk people are used to just feeling happy knowing it existed, but in the end if you didn't really use it you aren't losing anything. No point in getting worked up over it. 

(... I hope the tone in this sounds right. You have every right to feel the way you do. I'm not trying to be argumentative.)

While I totally understand what you're saying regarding the principle, it seems a little bit like being mad just to be mad.

I do believe this was a really nice perk for those who spend a lot of time in the room or those who have children to make it easier to manage, as well as a perk people are used to just feeling happy knowing it existed, but in the end if you didn't really use it you aren't losing anything. No point in getting worked up over it.

(... I hope the tone in this sounds right. You have every right to feel the way you do. I'm not trying to be argumentative.)

You're 100% correct and stated it very clearly. I'm mad on principle, not on the change itself. Should I let it go? Probably. But it still irritates me.

Luckily, I'm at the point where I feel comfortable leaving my son in the cabin while I run too to the Windjammer. If he was much younger, that would be a problem. The other concern I have is that the hot options that we previously complimentary are largely the only option for this with dietary restrictions like celiac. They can't eat pastries, so they're basically now limited to yogurt and fruit from room service.

Give me another day and I'll get over myself . . . I guess I jumped past denial and went straight to anger (stages of grief). It is also very possible that Royal will offer more in venues around the ship, particularly late at night, to make up for this change.

Ok Let's dissect this response.

"Royal Caribbean International has introduced a new premium room (I WOULDN'T CONSIDER SOME OF THESE ITEMS PREMIUM,SCRAMBLED EGGS,FRIED EGGS,GRILLED CHEESE,HOT DOG AND QUESADILLA WOW)service menu in order to enhance the dining experience and to provide more options for guests. The new menu features upgraded items such as the Royal Wagyu Burger, a classic Philly cheese steak with shaved rib eye, chicken wings with a choice of four sauces, and a healthy grilled salmon dish with cucumber mint yogurt, to name a few.

In addition, new breakfast selections also have been introduced to the menu to provide an upgraded in-room breakfast experience for guests. Continental breakfast items, which remain free of charge, will still be available to all guests.(GUESS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THOSE WHO ORDER JUST CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST, THEY WILL NEVER GET IT ON TIME OR CORRECT)

A new convenience fee of $7.95 per order will be introduced for any orders including the new premium selections. This was introduced to better manage the high demand for this convenient and upgraded service.(SO NOW THEY WILL GENERATE MORE REVENUE AND BE ABLE TO HIRE MORE STAFF, SO ONE SHOULD EXPECT NO DELAYS, COLD FOOD AND ORDERS CORRECT) Breakfast items listed under the continental menu will still be free of charge.

The new room service menu will be rolled out across the entire fleet starting in March and will be onboard all ships by the end of May."

Glad they've at least released the menu. We only used room service for continental breakfast items in the past, so ultimately for us, this change has little impact. But I certainly understand the concerns that others have with now having to pay for something that has been included. I certainly hope the new offerings are better quality and worth the charge, otherwise I for one would be demanding the charge removed at Guest Services. 

After reading all of the comments here and on the original post--am I the only person that doesn't mind paying the $7.95 fee?? lol I think I am for sure

I see it as this--as long as the food is "upgraded" from the WJ and it comes within a "fair" amount of time, it doesn't bother me to pay the extra. Paying extra for the same burger or same pizza, I'll for sure pass. And I'll definitely pass on the continental breakfast because let's face it, its poop  :P  but I know my husband would happily enjoy an omelette in our room instead of having to put on pants to go to the MDR, the only other place to get an omelette. You pay for room service in a hotel and you pay much more inflated prices than $7.95 and while I understand that everyone is on this "nickel and dime" you stance, this change is personally not causing me to shop other CL.

Just my 2cents :)

And I made $3.35 an hour at my first job in high school; that doesn't negate the fact that by removing something that costs them money--and was previously included in the cost of the cruise--they've effectively raised the cruise fare as you now have to pay more onboard for the same level of service.

Personally, I think this is an underhanded way to essentially increase fares rather than actually increasing the fares by a few dollars a day.  In all likelihood, this is an attempt to stay competitive price-wise against the competing lines.  Unfortunately, it looks like Royal, and perhaps the rest of the industry, is going the way of the airlines.

Perhaps I need to start looking up market . . . 

$3.35/hour for a high school job???   I made $0.75/hour for my first one........a true "senior citizen" !!  :)   

Ok Let's dissect this response.

"Royal Caribbean International has introduced a new premium room (I WOULDN'T CONSIDER SOME OF THESE ITEMS PREMIUM,SCRAMBLED EGGS,FRIED EGGS,GRILLED CHEESE,HOT DOG AND QUESADILLA WOW)

compared to the continental breakfast this is an upgrade lol....and real eggs hopefully

compared to the continental breakfast this is an upgrade lol....and real eggs hopefully

There's no guarantee of real eggs unless you go with the fried variety.

While I don't consider these premium offerings, I will concede that having eggs cooked to order and delivered to the cabin would be a nice perk. I just think the price point is too high unless you have a cabin full of people all ordering at the same time.

There's no guarantee of real eggs unless you go with the fried variety.

While I don't consider these premium offerings, I will concede that having eggs cooked to order and delivered to the cabin would be a nice perk. I just think the price point is too high unless you have a cabin full of people all ordering at the same time.

and that's why I don't eat scrambled eggs! lol