Playmakers and Baseball package

The ships normally carry the Caribbean version of ESPN & ESPN2. They usually run baseball games on those 2 channels during the season, but not every game and not every day. So it depends on which games those 2 channels are carrying during your cruise. Now I do believe they have the power to carry other sports networks besides the ESPN's (they were able to do this for a few pro football playoff games on a cruise we were on this past January) and you could try and ask if they can find the Yes Network to watch the Yankees if it's not on the ESPN's, but there's no guarantee they could get it. 

Ships with a Playmakers did sign up for additional sports coverage before the shutdown.  That was not an insignificant expense.  It's not clear if they renewed the additional channels since the restart.  

MLB is very protective of their TV rights.  Outside of the US, MLB desires people to purchase their MLB TV packages for streaming.  When a ship leaves US waters it is considered international so when it comes to what will be on a ship it's not an easy answer or easy to forecast even during the playoffs.  If it's important to your husband then streaming the game with a Voom internet package might be an option to use as a plan B but some streaming apps use a phone's GPS to detect where you are so that isn't a foolproof plan B. 

Unfortunately there is no way to state with 100% accuracy that he will be able to watch the games he wants to even if streaming on a cruise.

Thanks... everything that was replied was kind of what I thought. He does have the MLB package, so he can watch it on his phone. I just dont want him to be attached to his phone the whole time. Its our year anniversary so I was trying to compromise. If it was on at Playmakers, at least we could have lunch/dinner and drinks together.  Of all weekends, I had to book it when the Yankees and Red Sox are playing each other LOL Thanks for everyones input!

3 hours ago, Swar said:

If you have an internet package, you can watch sports on your devices. A group of us were huddled around a computer watching hockey playoffs because it was not on tv.

I’d get really creative if for  some reason you can’t play the games, I’d FaceTime into a loved ones watch party and have them point the phone to the tv!  

23 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I’d get really creative if for  some reason you can’t play the games, I’d FaceTime into a loved ones watch party and have them point the phone to the tv!  

Believe it or not, I have done that for my husband while he was at work.. He couldnt watch it so he would call me on Facetime and he would watch it LOL

4 hours ago, JennG010203 said:

Thanks... everything that was replied was kind of what I thought. He does have the MLB package, so he can watch it on his phone. I just dont want him to be attached to his phone the whole time. Its our year anniversary so I was trying to compromise. If it was on at Playmakers, at least we could have lunch/dinner and drinks together.  Of all weekends, I had to book it when the Yankees and Red Sox are playing each other LOL Thanks for everyones input!

His best (and probably only) shot is if the Sox/Yankees are on Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. But he will have to compete with Sunday Night Football and that will have the volume turned on. If he wants volume, your stateroom is probably the only option there, IF it's shown. I've been on multiple ships with Playmakers, and none of them have access to NESN or YES Network, which is why I say it's probably his only shot if it's on Sunday Night. College Football (Saturday) and the NFL (Sunday) will dominate what is shown on board in the fall. In fact, NFL Games typically take up a lot of the channels on Sundays. Either way, Playmakers will also have a schedule of the sporting events they will show during your sailing. If you don't see it, ask the bartenders

Plan B may also have issues as he's not in the United States, and I've had issues with MLB Network (App and website) along with YouTubeTV being available on board due to not being in the United States. I've heard you can use Surfshark and change your location, which may help, but I'm not an expert on that. 

Push comes to shove, he can "watch" the games using ESPN Gamecast (which will tell him what's going on in real time, just no video of the game) but he could be attached to his phone. I also set up notifications on the MLB App about score changes and final score notifications (The app works, just won't let me watch the game)

@JennG010203  Welcome to the Royal Caribbean Blog Forum!

My dad was a wicked Yankees fan and nicked named me Mickey (after guess who).  He played semi-pro back in the days when it existed and won a batting title.  But he passed when I was 8 and I spent a lot of time with my grandmother after school.  She was Red Sox fan like all my catholic school mates - and me!  Amazing how many generations the Sox-Yanks rivalry has lasted.

Ceil is not feeling well today, so I am giving away my WooSox tickets for tonight's fireworks game...

26 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@JennG010203  Welcome to the Royal Caribbean Blog Forum!

My dad was a wicked Yankees fan and nicked named me Mickey (after guess who).  He played semi-pro back in the days when it existed and won a batting title.  But he passed when I was 8 and I spent a lot of time with my grandmother after school.  She was Red Sox fan like all my catholic school mates - and me!  Amazing how many generations the Sox-Yanks rivalry has lasted.

Ceil is not feeling well today, so I am giving away my WooSox tickets for tonight's fireworks game...

The rivalry is alive here too .. my husband and his brother LOL . . It is so bad that one year, we went up to visit my brother in law and they watched our our son so we could go out for a few hours. Flash forward to 6 months later, we get a card in the mail.. What did it have in it, you ask? A picture of our son dressed up in Red Sox gear.. My husband was sooooo mad! I thought it was quite funny!

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Ive read them for years, Ive just never posted in them, until now. 🙂

Couldn't they be scheduled to be recorded on the DVR at home.  I am a huge Cubs fan but I find I am disconnected from their game results on a cruise as long as I don't make it a point to find out.  I could easily record a week's worth of Cubs games, not knowing the results, and watch them as if they were live.   An added bennie is to fast fwd through commercials.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Is Slingbox still a thing?

edit: Yes, but only until November.

Plex and SlingTV both work each with specific OTA tuners.  (not to be confused with Slingbox that I have buried in a box of oldies).  

I have better luck with SlingTV and their AirTV tuner for streaming on a ship.  Plex seems to want to be greedy and always tries to use too much bandwidth despite manually adjusting the parameters.  Slingbox used to work on ships and adapted well to low bitrate and high network variance since it was designed for 3G cellular networks.  I gave up on Slingbox years ago when they forced me to watch ads to view my own streaming device located in my own home.  Slingbox for sale... cheap.  

@twangster & @smokeybandit

For now, I have given all media streaming onboard.  I do have a Synology NAS running a PLEX server with an extensive media collection.  Maybe when Starlink arrives...

This is my setup for now taken from this post:

YOLO

@HoneyBVegas Welcome to the Royal Caribbean Blog Forum!

Here is some info for you about using in cabin TV HDMI ports.  My universal remote worked perfectly on Anthem last month, but I just got off the Adventure (yesterday) where it did not!  But after further investigation, I did not need it.  By luck I discovered that if I plugged into the HDMI port and used the RCI room remote that I could tune it to channel 3 and activate the HDMI!  I am guessing this maybe true of all Voyager class ships and maybe other older ships too.

As far as streaming movies - forget it.  Even if you have your content downloaded onto your device and either mirror it to the TV or to a HDMI device (like Chromecast) it is not worth your trouble.  I find the zoom WiFi to be unreliable.  It may work for a while and you may get through a movie, but if you don't it is frustrating and a waste of time.  Even worse if you try streaming from an off ship server (NAS, commercial stream company, etc) as it is almost never satisfactory.

Instead use an HD Media Server w/ HDMI.  Some laptops. tablets, & phones can do this too, but might not be as compact as my solution below.  Before your cruise you can pre-load your movies and TV shows onto a 512GB micro SD card.  This will give you more hours of your favorite content than your cruise is long (unless you do Royal's World Cruise).  This is what I am using and it has worked perfectly...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VXSD1H

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1HMJ9Z

https://www.amazon.com/3-Device-Universal-Preprogrammed-SRP9232D-27/dp/B07B4P1DK9

Let me know if you have any questions...

11 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@twangster & @smokeybandit

For now, I have given all media streaming onboard.  I do have a Synology NAS running a PLEX server with an extensive media collection.  Maybe when Starlink arrives...

This is my setup for now taken from this post:

YOLO

@HoneyBVegas Welcome to the Royal Caribbean Blog Forum!

Here is some info for you about using in cabin TV HDMI ports.  My universal remote worked perfectly on Anthem last month, but I just got off the Adventure (yesterday) where it did not!  But after further investigation, I did not need it.  By luck I discovered that if I plugged into the HDMI port and used the RCI room remote that I could tune it to channel 3 and activate the HDMI!  I am guessing this maybe true of all Voyager class ships and maybe other older ships too.

As far as streaming movies - forget it.  Even if you have your content downloaded onto your device and either mirror it to the TV or to a HDMI device (like Chromecast) it is not worth your trouble.  I find the zoom WiFi to be unreliable.  It may work for a while and you may get through a movie, but if you don't it is frustrating and a waste of time.  Even worse if you try streaming from an off ship server (NAS, commercial stream company, etc) as it is almost never satisfactory.

Instead use an HD Media Server w/ HDMI.  Some laptops. tablets, & phones can do this too, but might not be as compact as my solution below.  Before your cruise you can pre-load your movies and TV shows onto a 512GB micro SD card.  This will give you more hours of your favorite content than your cruise is long (unless you do Royal's World Cruise).  This is what I am using and it has worked perfectly...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VXSD1H

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1HMJ9Z

https://www.amazon.com/3-Device-Universal-Preprogrammed-SRP9232D-27/dp/B07B4P1DK9

Let me know if you have any questions...

My NAS doesn't have the horsepower for Plex live OTA TV but works great for stored content.  Plus you can download content to your device for offline viewing.  Stored content can have deeper buffering compared to live TV so playback of stored content isn't too bad on many ships now.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

My NAS doesn't have the horsepower for Plex live OTA TV but works great for stored content.  Plus you can download content to your device for offline viewing.  Stored content can have deeper buffering compared to live TV so playback of stored content isn't too bad on many ships now.

Agree.  My 7 year old NAS can play 4K movies just fine as long as I don't transcode them.  I prefer having video ripped at different qualities and just picking the one I want to watch.  I also have lots of movies and music on my phone's 512GB uSD card just in case.

@Tania I was at Polar Park last night (July 4th Fireworks Game) and saw the AAA WooSox [BOS Red Sox] score 4 runs in the 8th to come from behind to defeat the RailRiders [NY Yankees].  🙂⚾🙂

Also, the WooSox wore really awesome jerseys last night.  The front looked like an abbreviated flag.  You can sort of see it here...https://www.masslive.com/worcesterredsox/2022/07/ronaldo-hernandez-blasts-game-winning-home-run-in-the-eighth-boosts-woosox-over-railriders-6-4.html

39 minutes ago, YOLO said:

I was at Polar Park last night (July 4th Fireworks Game) and saw the AAA WooSox [BOS Red Sox] score 4 runs in the 8th to come from behind to defeat the RailRiders [NY Yankees].

Now, I'm just a simple Mid-Atlantic type, but given the pronunciation of Worcester, are they the "Wu Sox," the "Wor Sox," or do they break all New England norms and just pronounce it how it is spelled? 🤔

On 7/2/2022 at 7:47 PM, JennG010203 said:

Been on the Indy a few times but never spent any time in Playmakers. Going again in September with the hubby. Does anyone know if they have the baseball package in Playmakers? Have to make sure the hubby can watch the Yankees vs Red Sox games .. 🙂

On Freedom this past weekend Playmakers was showing several baseball games, but in addition to baseball they were also showing tennis, cricket, football (we call it soccer in the US) and other sports.  Even though there are a lot of screens in Playmakers they do not only show sports that happening in the US and there is no guarantee that Yankees vs Red Sox will be on any screen in the bar and unlike most sports bars on land the bartenders at Playmakers do not have access to remotes to change the channels on the screens .  If the game is that important I would suggest as others have already suggested that you buy the internet package. 

15 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

Now, I'm just a simple Mid-Atlantic type, but given the pronunciation of Worcester, are they the "Wu Sox," the "Wor Sox," or do they break all New England norms and just pronounce it how it is spelled? 🤔

Yes, as Pooch says - "Woo-Sox", but this is only their second season.  Prior to that they were "Paw-Sox" from Pawtucket, RI.  I grew up in RI.  I like the old mascot Paws better than the new mascot Woofster.

I saw Mark "The Bird" Fidrych pitch at McCoy Stadium for the PawSox.  The sox picked him up after he blew out his arm in Detroit.  I saw many MLB stars play there over the years...

9 hours ago, YOLO said:

Yes, as Pooch says - "Woo-Sox", but this is only their second season.  Prior to that they were "Paw-Sox" from Pawtucket, RI.  I grew up in RI.  I like the old mascot Paws better than the new mascot Woofster.

I saw Mark "The Bird" Fidrych pitch at McCoy Stadium for the PawSox.  The sox picked him up after he blew out his arm in Detroit.  I saw many MLB start play there over the years...

Do you one better!  We used to go to the New Britain Rockcats when they were a Twins affiliate.  DAVID ORTIZ!!!! Torii Hunter.  My daughter developed a friendship with their catcher Jeff Smith and his wife and she got to meet them all in the family area.  Of course who knew back then!

Then she went to RIC for college & cheap beer nights at the PawSox!

2 hours ago, YOLO said:

@CruisingOz  Can you change your signature to single space lines?  Not sure, but just sayin' - it is pretty long...

Not sure what the problem is but you can disable all signatures here https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/settings/signature/

I have turned them off and it makes the reading experience much nicer I think. Plus on a slow connection it should load faster.