What's the worst cruise tip you've ever heard?

7 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

Scopolamine 1 MG/ 3 day patch.  Apply 1 patch every 72 hours by transdermal route as directed.  From CVS.

To be clear, we never used them. That's why I say that it was a waste of my money.  They aren't expensive though!

Was just wondering how much of a difference between the patch and the pill. Good to know it’s an affordable option though. My parents cruise a lot but get sea sick often. I will pass on this info to them. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

My neighbor (a Carnival cruiser) advised me to make sure I go to guest services and remove the tips because it makes the cruise too expensive. He also had some great ideas on sneaking alcohol onboard.

I smiled and added another reason why I prefer Royal.

That is one reason, of many, I left Brand X (I'll never use their actual LOGO or name again).  Too many people trying to screw crew members and the cruise line.  I have read, at least from one person, in here that they try to sneak alcohol on.  Needless to say, I didn't respond very positively to it.  It's despicable.  Not only are they trying to screw the cruise line but they are screwing a crew member out of the 18% tip added automatically, plus extra if you so desire.  I sure hope that the people that do this aren't trying to support their family thousands of miles away, in 3rd world countries (often) and are gone for months and months at at time.  

FAR TOO MANY CLASSLESS PEOPLE ON BRAND X, period.

A balcony is the best way to cruise.

While a balcony is nice, for the cost an interior or promenade room gets you the same cruise with access to all the same things. The saved money can be spent on anything.

Of course most of the people on cruise sites seem like money is no issue and they just do star suites every 3 months so that's what they'll keep saying. 

1 hour ago, endofturn said:

While a balcony is nice, for the cost an interior or promenade room gets you the same cruise with access to all the same things. The saved money can be spent on anything.

Of course most of the people on cruise sites seem like money is no issue and they just do star suites every 3 months so that's what they'll keep saying. 

Or people like my wife and I.  We just got off of a Star Class last week, it took over 2 years to get to it.  We have another Star Class booked in January 2024.  This gives us time to save up for that very expensive gift to each other.  I'm very middle class, a retired Army Sergeant and Social Security <for the both of us, we try to live below our means so I can afford to save a little each month to do what we love and pamper ourselves once every other year or so.  Don't know how many cruises we have left in us but we will make the best of it and will go first class.  Money is a huge issue to us but we know how to budget and save. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Balcony cabin isnt bad advice. Just not advise that works for everyone

The in-laws are diamond plus and keep insisting that everyone should get interior cabins because you’re never in there anyway. Since we travel with our two young boys, I have to disagree with their take. Balcony cabins can be lifesavers for the right cruisers. 

My bad advice is "don't cruise, you spend way less on land." I have so heard from so many people who say just go to a resort in the Caribbean or Mexico, it will be so much cheaper. Not realizing that any experience can cost depending on what you want to do.

Or"........." isn't worth it. I have heard specialty dining is worth it, drinks packages, higher class cabin, etc. I actually didn't do specialty dining for years because I felt like it wasn't "worth" it. Fast forward and you realize that it is very personal as to what you are willing to splurge on. 

9 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Was just wondering how much of a difference between the patch and the pill. Good to know it’s an affordable option though. My parents cruise a lot but get sea sick often. I will pass on this info to them. Thanks!

I use the patch all the time when I am cruising or scuba diving.  I would highly recommend the patch.  Warning: you should start the patch the day before and use it continuously while you are on the ship. After applying a patch, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before touching your face. The patch is not a quick fix for sea sickness but a continously relief.  It should be used by people like me that get sea sick all the time.  What a relief it has been for me. 

7 hours ago, 10-42 said:

Or people like my wife and I.  We just got off of a Star Class last week, it took over 2 years to get to it.  We have another Star Class booked in January 2024.  This gives us time to save up for that very expensive gift to each other.  I'm very middle class, a retired Army Sergeant and Social Security <for the both of us, we try to live below our means so I can afford to save a little each month to do what we love and pamper ourselves once every other year or so.  Don't know how many cruises we have left in us but we will make the best of it and will go first class.  Money is a huge issue to us but we know how to budget and save. 

As they say, go first class now or your kids will go first class later.

16 hours ago, endofturn said:

I actually like inside cabins because I can sleep off "jet lag" much faster.  My wife prefers ocean view.  We opt for the balcony only when it isn't much more than ocean view (booking 18-24 months in advance seems to bring the price down).  That said, the extra space in a balcony room is nice if you have a family of 3 or 4.  So for me, the worst advice would be "only select X room".  All types of rooms have their place.  Now that we are getting older, I am wishing we had taken more cruises when we were younger; I guess I saved too much for retirement!

The worst advice we got was from someone we call "The Todd" and he told us that they only bring carry on for any cruise.  They only bring 1 change of clothes and that is for the trip home.  The entire cruise they only wear the cruise supplied robes.  We even saw them down on the pier in the robes.  um no thank you!

22 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I would say the opposite, I’m not saying don’t use a travel agent but they definitely aren’t necessary. The times I’ve used them it was me contacting them to tell them I found a better price.

I agree totally.  The only reason I use my TA company is because of their OBCs.  No other reason.  Our TA has never called us to notify us that the cruise company has reduced the price of our category room and had it lowered for us.  When I call my TA company, I usually get the same answers from my TA as I would by calling Royal directly.  The answers are like:  I think, it's the way it always has been, it SHOULD be like that, when I cruised....., and so on and so on and so on.  A TA company that deals with every kind of travel, air, land, sea, tours, legal requirements from all involved countries, and more, in my opinion, can't be completely proficient with all aspects of any of those examples.  Unfortunately, Landside isn't any better even though they, for the most part, only deal with their company's policies and procedures.  

BTW, I'm not picking on Royal exclusively, Brand X was much worse.  

59 minutes ago, Shari said:

The worst advice we got was from someone we call "The Todd" and he told us that they only bring carry on for any cruise.  They only bring 1 change of clothes and that is for the trip home.  The entire cruise they only wear the cruise supplied robes.  We even saw them down on the pier in the robes.  um no thank you!

Doesn't sound like someone I'd like to sit next to in the MDR, theatre, tender, whatever.  

5 hours ago, 10-42 said:

I agree totally.  The only reason I use my TA company is because of their OBCs.  No other reason.  Our TA has never called us to notify us that the cruise company has reduced the price of our category room and had it lowered for us.  When I call my TA company, I usually get the same answers from my TA as I would by calling Royal directly.  The answers are like:  I think, it's the way it always has been, it SHOULD be like that, when I cruised....., and so on and so on and so on.  A TA company that deals with every kind of travel, air, land, sea, tours, legal requirements from all involved countries, and more, in my opinion, can't be completely proficient with all aspects of any of those examples.  Unfortunately, Landside isn't any better even though they, for the most part, only deal with their company's policies and procedures.  

BTW, I'm not picking on Royal exclusively, Brand X was much worse.  

You are using the wrong TA.