BEWARE: St. Thomas Secret Sands/ Smith Bay Excursion

Thorntor

😮  First, this is about the vendor beach representative, not Royal, not the off-ship staff, nor the transportation provider.  It is about the RUDE, INSULTING, and MENACING on site operator at Smith Bay.  Yesterday our party of four went on this excursion and upon arrival at the beach a man identifying himself as Kareem gave an orientation highlighted with pointing out the large tip jar.  The experience went downhill from there.  We waited  20 minutes for Kareem to bring lounges, yelling at one of the ladies who went to asked for promised chairs.  This was followed by him throwing three chairs down and again yelling that we had asked for three when there were four of us.  Finally he returned with a fourth chair, again throwing it down with more yelling.

After stewing about how bad the experience was, we decided to get a taxi (at our expense) back to the ship.  On learning that we wanted to leave, Kareem approached us yelling and swearing.  Yelling and becoming physically menacing, I told him twice to back off and that I wasn’t going to argue with him.  All we wanted was for them to call us a taxi.  Instead, Kareem , still yelling, said he was not going call a taxi and called his boss instead.  Continuing to yell, calling us crazy, I walked away from him and asked that the three ladies in our group to start videoing him.  At that point a taxi appeared by coincidence and we climbed in, leaving Kareem still yelling at us.

Arriving back at the Oasis, we immediately sought out the ship Excursion Manager and reported our experience.  Aiya, the Excursion Manager, took down our complaint and explained that she  would initiate an incident report through their contracting process, but didn’t know the outcome.  However, she provided us with a full refund for the excursion.

Bottom line, I recommend that cruisers going to St. Thomas avoid the Secret Sands/ Smith Bay beach excursion and the possibility of encountering this out of control employee.

2 hours ago, Thorntor said:

Arriving back at the Oasis, we immediately sought out the ship Excursion Manager and reported our experience.  Aiya, the Excursion Manager, took down our complaint and explained that she  would initiate an incident report through their contracting process, but didn’t know the outcome.  However, she provided us with a full refund for the excursion.

Thank you for following through and reporting it when you got back on the ship.  

19 hours ago, LCWind said:

Thanks for the heads up. We will be in St Thomas the week of Feb 13. Looking for another excursion as our excursion to St John was cancelled.

Just do St. John on your own. It's oh so easy. Grab a taxi over to Red Hook, take the ferry, and a taxi on the other end to whatever beach or other part of St. John you want to go. Then reverse it on the way back...even easier if you can get your original taxi driver to meet you at Red Hook for the ride back. I always give myself one extra ferry as a buffer - if you think the 4pm ferry is the last one to get you back to the ship on time, take the 3pm ferry just in case. 

3 hours ago, Zacharius said:

Just do St. John on your own. It's oh so easy. Grab a taxi over to Red Hook, take the ferry, and a taxi on the other end to whatever beach or other part of St. John you want to go. Then reverse it on the way back...even easier if you can get your original taxi driver to meet you at Red Hook for the ride back. I always give myself one extra ferry as a buffer - if you think the 4pm ferry is the last one to get you back to the ship on time, take the 3pm ferry just in case. 

Thank you.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:53 PM, Zacharius said:

Any suggestions on St John excursions/sightseeing? I’m not much of a beach person. Thanks

On 2/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, LCWind said:

Any suggestions on St John excursions/sightseeing? I’m not much of a beach person. Thanks

Ah...well, the beaches are the best part of St. John, so that cuts down on a lot of activities. Hiking around the national park (which takes up a good chunk of the island) is a nice alternative with some nice views. There's some info on individual hikes at https://www.nps.gov/viis/planyourvisit/hiking-in-paradise.htm. Those are really the main things to do in St. John aside from a few shops in Cruz Bay. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Susan Lieberman said:

What are the good beaches to go to at St John? Been to St Thomas many times and looking for something different to do. 

I've only been to St. John once (not on a cruise), but Trunk Bay was one of the most incredible beaches I've ever been to. Perfect if you like snorkeling; there's a trail with informational plaques underwater. Definitely worth checking out!

• 9 months later...

It’s November now the same person still operates this business.  I wanted to give him tips but not $20.  He said he doesn’t have any change because people give him good tips.  The lady that was on the same excursion told me she gave him small tips and he put he it in his pocket.  Don’t fall for the “GOOD TIPS” scam.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping RC had cleaned things up at Secret Sands but i went during my WOS cruise on 12/11 and it was exactly as described at the beginning of this thread. Kareem is still there and he is still harassing folks for tips. In addition they didnt have enough chairs for all the guests so we got a broken picnic table that was covered in caution tape for 3 people. I complained to excursion desk and they acted like they have never heard a single complaint about this excursion...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just took the trip with Kareem. He was horrible and beyond rude. He was harassing all of us for tip. We tipped him a good amount but he wanted more. $20 or more per couple. When he didn’t get what he wanted he started cussing everyone out. We wanted to shut him up. So we gave him another $20. He was still not happy and talked about how he needed to support his family. We felt unsafe with him. Never again!!!!!!! Don’t get why RC would work with them, sooo disappointing! 

Thank you for this post. I was considering this excursion with Carnival and checked the reviews.... within the last 3 weeks, 2 reviews with Kareem as their driver and they said he was polite etc. I'm sure RC and his company really gave him a talk after your unfortunate experience. I believe you, I don't want to get him on one of his "bad days" even if recently people have had good experiences. 

• 6 months later...
21 hours ago, minniemouse27 said:

We have this reserved for a cruise leaving next week. 

Not sure what we will do.

If you booked through Royal, go straight to the shore excursion desk once you get on board and tell them about your concerns but that you want to do something similar. You can cancel or change shore excursions up to 24 hours before they are to take place, so you're not stuck with it. If they can't recommend something similar that you want to do, you can still cancel and there's good chance there will be tour operators at the port that for similar excursions. Usually there are multiple operators doing tours to popular areas simply because they know they are popular.

Also, an option, take a look at trip advisor, shore excursioneer, or shore excursion group online and see if there are other operators offering something like this. Shore excursioneer lets you book with a deposit and most of them are 100% refundable even after the excursion if you end up missing it