Bahamas to allow fully vaccinated travelers to bypass PCR testing requirement

18 minutes ago, steverk said:

I've got a silly question.

I hear a lot of people bounce around different numbers of vaccinations to achieve "herd immunity."  However, they've always seemed rather arbitrary to me.  How do we know when we have achieved "herd immunity?"

It's not a fixed number and it can vary depending on a number of factors.  There is no way even the top scientists can calculate an exact number.   Some have made wild guesses based on trends of other viruses or diseases they consider similar and relevant.  

In reality herd immunity is achieved once it happens but we won't know it until we can see it in actual data trends.

1 hour ago, steverk said:

I hear a lot of people bounce around different numbers of vaccinations to achieve "herd immunity."  However, they've always seemed rather arbitrary to me.  How do we know when we have achieved "herd immunity?"

As others have said, no one knows, but I can say that as of yesterday they've announced that in my state we'll be significantly rolling back restrictions once 2/3 of adults have had one shot.  I think by the time that level of vaccination is reached, we'll be seeing case numbers drop tremendously.  

1 hour ago, steverk said:

We don't know. And it is very arbitrary. But it's a political source of ransom.

And to the main topic of the thread, I think it's very likely that other nations will follow the lead of the Bahamas (and maybe some others...Iceland?) and allow anyone vaccinated in without a test.

The vaccines are so effective that testing someone who is fully vaccinated and not showing symptoms is essentially pointless...basically looking for a needle in a haystack.

2 hours ago, steverk said:

Too me, once everyone that wants the vaccine has received it, we should return to pre covid normal.  Those who chose to be vaccinated should not be restricted because of risk to those who chose not to get it.

49 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Too me, once everyone that wants the vaccine has received it, we should return to pre covid normal.  Those who chose to be vaccinated should not be restricted because of risk to those who chose not to get it.

This is precisely what is happening in north TX. Anyone over 16 can get a shot same day now, if you do not, your safety is now on you. 

Goals? This is a fluid situation. Goal of 80%?  We have those in power who want 100%... Goals have posts that are moved non stop. In new Jersey the "science" number last May was reached to open stuff up.  The governor kept the lock down through the summer. Result? 1/3 of small businesses and Restaurants  gone for good. That and the highest per capita death rate in the country! Fauci? Tony is a wonderful guy. Friend to my mom. Mentor to my nephew.  Brilliant scientist but not cut out to call shots under pressure. Inconsistent at best... Bottom line? we really don't know what will work or not. Whats enough and whats too much... Hopefully soon this just sorts it self out... 

13 hours ago, wordell1 said:

This is my definition of herd immunity, once everyone that wants to get vaccinated has the opportunity to get vaccinated ... the herd is as immune as it is going to get. The people (the vast majority of) that are going to get sick beyond that point are the ones that refused the vaccine .. so either we were at immunity and they are fine or they get it the natural way and contribute to the immunity of the herd that way instead.

Either way (at that point in time) its time to stop making the majority live in masks, etc. to protect the minority that doesnt want to take the step to protect themselves.

16 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Yep. I agree 100%. Just heard on the news that the CDC is considering is it safe enough NOT to wear masks outside in public. I was like "huh"???

Most of the country has been NOT wearing masks OUTSIDE all along, with limited exceptions.

Masks required to enter stores, restaurants, churches, etc. does not equate to wearing a mask before entering nor does it prevent removal as soon as one exits.

14 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Not unlike the annual flu shot. I take the shot to reduce my chances of getting sick. If you don't get the flu shot (free on most insurance plans) and get sick, that's on you.

9 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Where did you get this bit of information?

Personal experience having been in many states during the period referenced. Only one of those states "required" masks outdoors and it wasn't enforced in any significant way.

You may live in a jurisdiction that requires masks when you head out of your front door to walk to the mailbox and back, but wearing masks outdoors has never been a "thing" that I have had to deal with, nor have I heard/seen "official" CDC guidance that masks are needed outdoors.

Remember, the guidance has always been "when you are unable to maintain six feet of separation from others, wear a mask." It's easy to maintain six feet of separation in most situations outdoors.

45 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Personal experience having been in many states during the period referenced.

You are reaching for something that's not there. I give you that you allegedly traveled to many states BUT you still can't make the assumption that from your "personal experience" since you would have to observe a HUGE part of the U.S. population, which is at approximately 331 million people, PERSONALLY not wearing mask. You must be faster than a speeding bullet, Superman!

32 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

You are reaching for something that's not there. I give you that you allegedly traveled to many states BUT you still can't make the assumption that from your "personal experience" since you would have to observe a HUGE part of the U.S. population, which is at approximately 331 million people, PERSONALLY not wearing mask. You must be faster than a speeding bullet, Superman!

So by your own reasoning, you can't say that the info is wrong either

23 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

So by your own reasoning, you can't say that the info is wrong either

The information provided from an alleged "personal experience" outlined is 100% questionable. You can only be Superman and travel around the states to view almost 331 million people or even half. That's what we call reasonable doubt.

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

The information provided from an alleged "personal experience" outlined is 100% questionable. You can only be Superman and travel around the states to view almost 331 million people or even half. That's what we call reasonable doubt.

Reasonable doubt is a concept that is only applicable to criminal law.  The rest of us are content to believe what we see with our own eyes.  

9 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Reasonable doubt is a concept that is only applicable to criminal law.  The rest of us are content to believe what we see with our own eyes.  

And that's why I also stated "The information provided from an alleged "personal experience" outlined is 100% questionable" as I knew it wouldn't be nullified.

10 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

9 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Or maybe knowledge of more than half the states. Most of the US doesn't have to mean most of the people. It could mean most of the land (and I don't have to include Alaska to meet the standard).

(Apologies to Matt for continuing the thread drift).

The Bahamas is allowing fully vaccinated individuals to enter without testing. At the risk of being political, it appears the Bahamian Government is more progressive than that of the United States.

Good info on vaccine results - this basic info has been out for a few weeks but this is from the CDC website itself  Hopefully we see some positive policy changes as a result.

COVID-19 Breakthrough Case Investigations and Reporting | CDC

Basically 87 million vaccinated and only 7157 "breakthrough cases" which is what they are calling cases where a vaccinated individual still get covid.