Royal Caribbean Blog

A Hole in our Yard - Another Not a Cruise Live Blog

The frozen tundra of Texas has thawed out, and work has resumed. The plumbers showed up around 3:00 yesterday afternoon to finish digging the trenches for the pipes manually. They also brought some of the equipment out. The project manager stopped by this morning and said the plumbing should be finished today. We have rain in the forecast this week, so he's not sure if the electrician will make it out before next week.

DH's grill should be on the way. He received daily updates from the company about shipping delays due to the weather, but he hasn't heard a thing since it warmed up. He's going to follow up with them today. I'm going to lose my spot in the garage soon. Stonework should start by the end of next week, and our patio furniture will be taking my car's place for a bit. We may leave it there until after plaster to keep it clean.

I'm excited that things have started moving again!

20210224_065705.jpg

20210224_090023.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've had a couple of dry days, and the plumber came back out to add some more equipment to the pad. Hopefully the electrician makes it out today or tomorrow because we have more rain in the forecast

The frozen tundra of Texas has thawed out, and work has resumed. The plumbers showed up around 3:00 yesterday afternoon to finish digging the trenches for the pipes manually. They also brought some of

Gunite. We went with a medium blue. The plaster in pool we had growing up was really white. I'm not sure if that's what my parents picked or if it just faded, but it was too bright. Then they had majo

Posted Images

Glad to hear y'all made it through last week. I lost power for about 36 hrs, but I have a Generac generator. Put it in for hurricane season this past summer and never thought its first extended use would be for a winter storm. However, not having water for 4 days sucked! Collecting snow and ice melt in mop buckets to be able to flush the toilet sucked! ERCOT sucks!

On 2/24/2021 at 12:40 PM, kadmgs said:

Glad to hear y'all made it through last week. I lost power for about 36 hrs, but I have a Generac generator. Put it in for hurricane season this past summer and never thought its first extended use would be for a winter storm. However, not having water for 4 days sucked! Collecting snow and ice melt in mop buckets to be able to flush the toilet sucked! ERCOT sucks!

Next time it starts to snow fill up the bathtubs!  

We've had a couple of dry days, and the plumber came back out to add some more equipment to the pad. Hopefully the electrician makes it out today or tomorrow because we have more rain in the forecast on Friday and again on Tuesday.

In the meantime, I may have booked a 2BR Aquatheater on Allure.  781 days to Star Class!

We have new electric panels by the pool equipment. They grounded the heck out of everything, and the backyard is torn up still showing the exposed conduit and copper grounding wire. I think an inspection happens before it all gets covered up. 

Not a fun picture necessarily, but here it is. 

20210305_103619.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I have absolutely nothing to report. No one came out last week. DH texted the Project Manager yesterday morning with no response. He texted again this morning, and nothing yet. Hope he's ok, but I would think the office would call us if something serious was going on. Tile and stonework are showing as scheduled in the builder's website, but, of course, there are no dates listed. If nothing else, this experience has taught me that I'm really not as patient as I thought I was. 

The Little Mermaid Sigh GIF

4 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Sometimes the inspections slow things down.  They can't cover stuff up until the county checks the box.

I'm not sure this is it - our city outsources inspections to a 3rd party company, and they have been able to come out next day so far for previous inspections. However, with a lot of people potentially needing replacement plumbing from burst pipes inspected, I can't say that's not it.

The PM called back. He said the tile crew was finishing a job and we are next on the list, so it should be "any day now". He did tell us at the beginning that tile and stone work were the hardest to schedule, so overall I'm not really surprised. Just ready to see some more work getting done.

So they are not tiling all the way down? I’ve only ever seen pools that have the tile applied all the way down to the floor; looks like your design will leave the exposed gunite along the walls as well as the floor, and tile is really only above / even with the water line?

The project manager stopped by this morning. He said the guys completing the tile and coping would also be doing the stonework - the back wall of the pool, stone surrounding the spa and fire pit, and the kitchen. He said they would probably be done in a week (we've got a couple days of rain at the beginning of week). Then decking may be started the end of next week or more likely the following week. Once the deck is done, we're ready for plaster. He's estimating about 3-4 more weeks to completion.

@StillC Thanks. It's really starting to come together.

The tile/stonework team came back out on Saturday. They built most of the wall along the back of the pool which will have water spilling out of the columns and in the center over the bench. They built it up with cinder blocks and covered them with the stone veneer we selected back in November. The back side of the wall will just get a skim coat to cover the cinder blocks - we didn't see a point in paying for stone that only the dogs will see. They also veneered most of the spa in the same stone, and moved quite a few cinder blocks to that part of the yard to build up the fire pit.

I'm not sure when they will be back out - we're supposed to get quite a bit of rain later today, Wednesday, and Thursday. 

On a side note, I just about busted my a$$ (twice) jumping the trenches trying to get around to the back side of the pool. They're quite a bit wider than they look from the inside the house. 😆 I'm amazed that this crew has been doing it while carrying boxes of tile, cinder blocks, and slabs of travertine. DH has forbidden me from trying to get around the right side of the pool where most of the plumbing runs are located. (It's out of love - he's picturing another ACL surgery in my future) There's only one chasm I have to clear on the left side though. 🙃

20210320_123803.jpg

20210320_175712.jpg

20210320_175810.jpg

The guys came out for a few hours today to work on the coping. They got both short, side parts of the wall and the spa spillway complete before the rain hit. It's a time consuming process to cut the slabs to fit the curves, so it doesn't look like a lot of change from yesterday. I'm glad they're taking their time to do it right, measuring for each stone and making sure it's level before moving on to the next. I bet they would have been done in one day if we went with a rectangular shape, but I'm not known for making things easy.

20210322_171043.jpg

There's been some progress in the last couple days. They finished the coping around the spa and added the lights that hide just under the edge.20210324_083526.thumb.jpg.3765a5affce7d28a4250419d7aa48c06.jpg

They also added the water features, lights, and coping to the columns.

20210324_083537.thumb.jpg.83c40c10383b03c9fd9dd18feab43dac.jpg

Today, the guys built the fire pit, added the same stone veneer, topped it with coping, and added the lights there too. They added grout to it all, then they packed up their toys and left.20210324_124136.thumb.jpg.1d5dead1b7d3a1a6d062440f5de7cae1.jpg

It's exciting to see, but they're not finished. They still need to add the center wall water feature and coping, and those edges on the fire pit are going to have to be ground down so it's more circular. As much as I love irregularly shaped octagons, that's not quite what was in the plans. 🙃

16166273150188220269821187060842.thumb.jpg.70c7d6c8ea69c4117485f10f610cd736.jpg

20210324_150324.thumb.jpg.0ec1072306a1179b468be712ee7146b4.jpg