Jump to content
Flossygirl

Military discounts

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Flossygirl said:

Hi Ashley, this didn't matter with P&O or Princess here in Australia - it was separate to other offers - just extra OBC added as a "thanks".  It was simply a matter of "yep, you qualify, it's yours".  I live in Queensland but come from Sydney so a bunch of us took a 2 day cruise from Brisbane to Sydney to see friends and family for fun.  The OBC on Princess was $50.  I thought that was pretty good for 2 day cruise.  I personally think it's time that Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines advertising these sort of discounts do so or stop advertise them.  It just should be an added irrespective of what offers are on the table.

I completely agree it should be an "in addition to" rather than an available discount. 

Unfortunately, Royal doesn't feel the need to compete at the same level for this segment of clientele.  I don't see them heavily touting the discount or advertising it (at least in the US market) aside from it being an option to check when booking.  I don't foresee that changing absent of a lot of negative press.  All you can really do is ask and then take your vacation dollars elsewhere if what Royal offers isn't to your liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here is my take on this.

I served and I have received discounts here and there, however I have never ever "asked" for them.

I did not serve to get discounts later on in life. If others get discounts and I don't, so be it. I will not ask my "share".

My freedom and that of my family and fellow countrymen is good enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Ok here is my take on this.

I served and I have received discounts here and there, however I have never ever "asked" for them.

I did not serve to get discounts later on in life. If others get discounts and I don't, so be it. I will not ask my "share".

My freedom and that of my family and fellow countrymen is good enough for me.

Thank you for your service and I understand your reasoning. 

To the OP's point though, why should only US and Canada service men and women be recognized for their service?  

Since the discount often doesn't actually apply, it seems odd to proudly offer something that isn't really a thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As retired U.S. Air Force I feel a bit compelled to weigh in here....with a response that may surprise!  I think they should get rid of the military discount altogether!  Here is why...First, it only exists on paper.  It rarely if ever actually gets applied.  Meanwhile you ruffle the feathers of those non-U.S. non-Canadian military personnel.  There is seemingly no problem with state-side companies offering discounts to U.S. service personnel only, as they are stores/restaraunts etc. that are based in thr u.S. and physically located in the U.S. (I would not expect to get a military discount at McDonalds in Japan.....   BUT despite the fact that TC is suposedly a U.S. company, their market is very international including international ports, routes, and indeed crew!  So to only offer the military discount to certain countries defenders slights others and in today's world of reading-to-much-onto-everything could even be viewed as a political statement.  Offering the military discount to ALL military likewise doesn't work..do yo offer the discount to military from opposing countries?  If not, s soon as you elimnate one you make a statement.  Too many pitfalls here.  Get rid of it I say!   (Now, free drinks for veterans i could support!  😉  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me I would get rid of it completely, but again my position is that I think this is a market research program under the guise of discounts.

Not one poster here has been able to use it.  Just like they have discounts for certain state residents or age group.  RCCL, just like many hospitality companies will not let you pile on discounts you are eligible for when you book. Again, we are now retired military and hubby works for the govt.  My oldest is currently ADAF living thousands of miles away from our home.  None of us has found that the military discount works for airlines, cruises or hotels.  Disney Shades of Green, yes.  Certain stores, like American Eagle yep.  However, if I contact Marriott today and ask for the rack room rate, 10 will get you 20 it will be cheaper than the military discount, and on top of that they will tell me, just like RCCL that I can't combine the two.

Just saying.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Semi-related question - why do they "offer" a discount based upon which state you live?

Are they more desirous of inland states' passengers, or do they want to sway folks who 

live in a state with an active cruise ship port?   

 

I never have quite understood that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floski said:

Semi-related question - why do they "offer" a discount based upon which state you live?

Are they more desirous of inland states' passengers, or do they want to sway folks who 

live in a state with an active cruise ship port?   

 

I never have quite understood that.

When I click on the FL Residents Specials box to search for cruises with that discount, it defaults my search to the dates May '19 - Sep '19.  Every single one of the 35 cruises that shows up in the results leaves from somewhere other than Florida..deals on last minute cruises in the Mediterranean and Alaska.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Yep, never have had a military discount apply for any royal cruise we have priced or booked. Sometimes I feel companies have these options  advertised on the website because it looks good  as PR.  It’s a business, that’s fine but then don’t advertise a discount that so rarely applies it’s hard to find anyone who’s ever been able to use it. 

O it's definitely just for PR...sad but true...I went to Alaska last year with Princess and got $200 on board credit for being military...Royal has it's pro/cons for sure just like any other cruise line, but not celebrating military is a huge down fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mellibee said:

O it's definitely just for PR...sad but true...I went to Alaska last year with Princess and got $200 on board credit for being military...Royal has it's pro/cons for sure just like any other cruise line, but not celebrating military is a huge down fall. 

I agree with @mellibee.  If one wants to use it as a PR stunt then at least honour it like Princess and P&O or don't offer it at all.  It's misleading.  My hubby and I actually don't care if RCCL take it away because we never got it anyway from RCCL and it seems that no one else has either.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Since the discount often doesn't actually apply, it seems odd to proudly offer something that isn't really a thing.  

Agree with @twangster.  It's simply a ploy for puffing out chests and gaining brownie points but actually doing nothing for the right to do so.

@Jolly Ogre my hubby didn't serve 20 years in the RAN to get his "share".  He is a wonderful human being and did it for the safety of his fellow man but there is such a thing as fairness and most definitely a difference between right and wrong.  It is our belief that RCCL definitely have it wrong in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

To me I would get rid of it completely, but again my position is that I think this is a market research program under the guise of discounts.

Not one poster here has been able to use it.  Just like they have discounts for certain state residents or age group.  RCCL, just like many hospitality companies will not let you pile on discounts you are eligible for when you book. Again, we are now retired military and hubby works for the govt.  My oldest is currently ADAF living thousands of miles away from our home.  None of us has found that the military discount works for airlines, cruises or hotels.  Disney Shades of Green, yes.  Certain stores, like American Eagle yep.  However, if I contact Marriott today and ask for the rack room rate, 10 will get you 20 it will be cheaper than the military discount, and on top of that they will tell me, just like RCCL that I can't combine the two.

Just saying.  

Marriott has FANTASTIC military rates. We would go every memorial and Labor Day weekend when we were stationed at Fort Hood to the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country. Never less than 380-500/night for the cheapest garden view room, we never paid more than 129.00/night including holidays and they often upgraded us to pool views.   We are also booked at a Marriott chain hotel for our night before the cruise out of Port Canaveral in August.  They always have super rates.    

Do we expect companies to give discounts no, but if they advertise them- then yah. It’s nice to see if we can save some money.   The problem with Royal is no one everrrrr seems to qualify.   

We love Royal and it’s certainly not a make it or break it for us, but at this point it’s just- remove it already and if you want to say you support the troops for PR purposes or whatever, give veterans or military a welcome drink- helll I would be really happy with one of those writing pens with the floating boats in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we have mentioned a few other military offers I will tell you about one that totally blows my mind.....here in Colorado (and some other states and Canada) we have a season lift pass called the "Epic Pass".  There are many "flavors of this pass but most range in price from $650-$850 and include skiing in multiple locations.  Last year was the 10th anniversary of this pass.  In celebration they chose to offer a special "Military Epic Pass" since many of the ski areas in Colorado had been founded by members of the 10th Mountain Division after their return from World War II (They had been trained in mountain warfare (and skiing) here in Colorado)......The Military pass which includes close to a dozen ski areas and had unlimited/no blackout date restrictions price?.....$99!!!  Needless to say I grabbed one as a single day pass costs more than that!  It is easily the biggest discount I have ever recieved for being military.....much to my surprise they have renewed it for next year (thought he price is now $125!).......Off subject I know but thought I would share as this far into this thread most likely only military folks are reading anyway........Note this pass is good for retirees and their dependents as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jce2 said:

Since we have mentioned a few other military offers I will tell you about one that totally blows my mind.....here in Colorado (and some other states and Canada) we have a season lift pass called the "Epic Pass".  There are many "flavors of this pass but most range in price from $650-$850 and include skiing in multiple locations.  Last year was the 10th anniversary of this pass.  In celebration they chose to offer a special "Military Epic Pass" since many of the ski areas in Colorado had been founded by members of the 10th Mountain Division after their return from World War II (They had been trained in mountain warfare (and skiing) here in Colorado)......The Military pass which includes close to a dozen ski areas and had unlimited/no blackout date restrictions price?.....$99!!!  Needless to say I grabbed one as a single day pass costs more than that!  It is easily the biggest discount I have ever recieved for being military.....much to my surprise they have renewed it for next year (thought he price is now $125!).......Off subject I know but thought I would share as this far into this thread most likely only military folks are reading anyway........Note this pass is good for retirees and their dependents as well 

And look at that, Canadian and Australian qualify:

78695513_MilitaryEpic.jpeg.0a6c4fc002e576b4c57e3f34e4f01318.jpeg

I'm an Epic pass holder, non-military.  This is a great deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jce2 thanks for sharing!  My son-in-law is currently in the Australian Army and is a keen snowboarder.  I have sent him the information.  My daughter and SIL are going to the US this year for a wedding.  If the dates fit the snow season this may very well coming in handy for them.  👍👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jce2 @twangster Do you know whether the buddy tickets also apply when buying the Military Epic Pass or is only available for the Epic Pass?  It's only being offered for another couple of days.  Those buddy tickets could be used for my daughter as I think I noticed spouses don't qualify for the cheaper Military Epic Pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 8:34 AM, Jolly Ogre said:

Ok here is my take on this.

I served and I have received discounts here and there, however I have never ever "asked" for them.

I did not serve to get discounts later on in life. If others get discounts and I don't, so be it. I will not ask my "share".

My freedom and that of my family and fellow countrymen is good enough for me.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for serving our country and protecting all of us. You are appreciated more than you can fathom. Many many thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, Jolly Ogre said:

Ok here is my take on this.

I served and I have received discounts here and there, however I have never ever "asked" for them.

I did not serve to get discounts later on in life. If others get discounts and I don't, so be it. I will not ask my "share".

My freedom and that of my family and fellow countrymen is good enough for me.

Thank you sir for your service. Many, many veterans have a wonderful life after their service. Some don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

And look at that, Canadian and Australian qualify:

78695513_MilitaryEpic.jpeg.0a6c4fc002e576b4c57e3f34e4f01318.jpeg

I'm an Epic pass holder, non-military.  This is a great deal.

Such a good deal that I was convinced there had to be a catch.....Nope!  Have skied 10 times so far this year at Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, and Crested Butte, and with Breck open until Memorial day hope to get 4 more in.......$99 well spent!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flossygirl said:

@jce2 @twangster Do you know whether the buddy tickets also apply when buying the Military Epic Pass or is only available for the Epic Pass?  It's only being offered for another couple of days.  Those buddy tickets could be used for my daughter as I think I noticed spouses don't qualify for the cheaper Military Epic Pass.

Spouses most definitely DO qualify!! So do dependent children

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, Flossygirl said:

I understand that Canadian and US military (current and past served) receive a discount on cruises.  Why is it that Australians don't?  Isn't it time that RCCL treats all servicemen equally?  Australians stand side by side with the US and Canadian servicemen in an attempt to keep peace in the world.  My husband served 20 years in the Royal Australian Navy but that seems to be worth nothing to RCCLRCCL have said that "retired" Canadian and US military will receive the discount.  They quantify "retired" as enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service.  If RCCL are going to offer the discounts to our friends, the Canadians and Americans, then they should be doing the same for the Aussies, the British and all the allied forces that are serving or have served.  ALL these men and women put their lives on the line when they go into combat.  Australians cruise A LOT and Royal Caribbean have enjoyed bringing their ships Down Under for many, many years to reap the financial rewards of those cruises otherwise, I'm sure, they wouldn't bring their ships here.  Double standards and favouring one over another doesn't sit well with Aussies and that's certainly the message RCCL are sending to the Aussie cruisers.  Come on, RCCL, step up and do the right thing!

If it makes you feel any better, my husband served 30 years in the US military and we have never gotten a discount of a cruise for that service. To be clear, it is only active duty and retirees that receive a discount the few times it has been offered (rather than anyone who ever served). The few times I have even seen one come up it wasn’t ever as good as the current “sale” or even the 55+ rate. Once in a while living in GA helps in terms of a tiny discount since we are so close to many of the RCL ports. I do sincerely understand how you would feel, but I promise you that in real usefulness with most cruise lines there is none. That said, I love the people of Australia and of New Zealand - some of my favorite humans come from one or the other (and it doesn’t hurt that I have a husband with a big chunk of Maori running around in his DNA). 🙋🏼‍♀️💖

@GlowTheWeird and @WAAAYTOOO yup! They are not ever useful. 

@twangster  “Since the discount often doesn't actually apply, it seems odd to proudly offer something that isn't really a thing.“ EXACTLY. Most of the time, the so-called Veteran’s discounts are not “discounts” at all set up only as a way to show the company is  “doing something” for Veterans when the truth is that most of the time it is all show and no action (although there are exceptions, including the MGM and Harrah’s groups and Disney properties). Honestly, we would much rather someone do nothing for us than to produce a fake discount so they can look good (only the latter tick me off 😑).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flossygirl said:

@jce2 @twangster Do you know whether the buddy tickets also apply when buying the Military Epic Pass or is only available for the Epic Pass?  It's only being offered for another couple of days.  Those buddy tickets could be used for my daughter as I think I noticed spouses don't qualify for the cheaper Military Epic Pass.

Getting off topic, but...

Spouses and dependents do qualify for a full Military Epic Pass.

https://www.epicpass.com/pass-results/military.aspx

Buddy tickets allow a pass holder to bring a friend and the buddy get's a day lift ticket at a reduced rate compared to the daily rate for that resort.  It's not a free day of skiing for the buddy and it's only valid for that day.

The Military Epic Pass comes with six "Ski with a friend" passes that are not free and not the same as buddy passes.  

Ski with a friend vs. buddy passes are confusing.  One is a fixed price while the other is a discount off the daily rate for a resort based on the rate the day your visit.    It has always been a little hard to figure out which is which but typically when bringing a friend or family member I would just ask at the ticket window "What's better today?  Ski with a friend or buddy?"  Assuming I hadn't consumed all of them already.  This was as a regular epic pass holder, not a military pass holder.  Regular pass holders used to get both, SWAF and Buddy passes if purchased before a cut off date.

For qualifying spouses and dependents a full Military Epic Pass is just as good as the pass for the active or retired service member.  Once in your possession a dependent or spouse could visit the resort by themselves vs Ski With A Friend or Buddy Passes that require the pass holder to visit the ticket window on that day and then the buddy or friend buys a day pass at the discounted rate for that day only.

Make sense?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't ever find qualifying cruises either. I agree a welcome drink would be nice. When we were on Rhapsody at Christmas we went to the Veterans meet up one afternoon and there was literally no one there. Where we have saved a ton due to discount was at Walt Disney World. Between the discounted tickets via the ITT office on post (just need an MIL ID), the Salute to Service discount on room rates, and the discount on memory maker, we can go to WDW for a week or more for less than a 7 day cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, jce2 said:

As retired U.S. Air Force I feel a bit compelled to weigh in here....with a response that may surprise!  I think they should get rid of the military discount altogether!  Here is why...First, it only exists on paper.  It rarely if ever actually gets applied.  Meanwhile you ruffle the feathers of those non-U.S. non-Canadian military personnel.  There is seemingly no problem with state-side companies offering discounts to U.S. service personnel only, as they are stores/restaraunts etc. that are based in thr u.S. and physically located in the U.S. (I would not expect to get a military discount at McDonalds in Japan.....   BUT despite the fact that TC is suposedly a U.S. company, their market is very international including international ports, routes, and indeed crew!  So to only offer the military discount to certain countries defenders slights others and in today's world of reading-to-much-onto-everything could even be viewed as a political statement.  Offering the military discount to ALL military likewise doesn't work..do yo offer the discount to military from opposing countries?  If not, s soon as you elimnate one you make a statement.  Too many pitfalls here.  Get rid of it I say!   (Now, free drinks for veterans i could support!  😉  

 

Exactly I didn't serve in the US Army to "qualify" for discounts.. If theyre given and advertised then ill take them.. When I enlisted in 1989 that was the last though on my mind lol 🙂

 

FREE drinks for Veterans is a policy I could get behind!  could you imagine the carnage at the bar? lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments.  It's great to see that we can have a discussion and voice our own opinions without it all going sour which appears to happen so very often when people talk about an issue online where they are actually anonymous.  Pat on the back to all! 👍

On 4/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, 2Beeze said:

I love the people of Australia and of New Zealand - some of my favorite humans come from one or the other (and it doesn’t hurt that I have a husband with a big chunk of Maori running around in his DNA).

@2Beeze Agree with all you said although we have never been able to secure a 55+ fare either.  We also love the Americans and the Canadians.  My husband and I have visited your lovely country many times and have made many friends that we enjoy seeing each time we return - friendships that I feel confident will last a lifetime.  The New Zealand people are lovely people and some of my close friends are Maori.  "Kia ora". 

 @twangster your last post did make sense.  I told my SIL about it and it appears it is the talk of the army barracks among those that live to ski and snowboard.  He'll be on that one for sure!  I guess there's not much we can do about RCCL's obvious attempt at gaining good PR and then not following through with the offers.  Like so many have said (and I agree with), it is better that RCCL doesn't make offers they are not prepared to follow through on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nearly forgot to say, here in Australia RCCL offered a "free deluxe beverage package" a couple of months ago provided you booked a balcony cabin and above.  Although the package wasn't really "free" as the cost of the tickets were higher (so you're indirectly paying for it depending on how much you drink), I can't recall ever seeing a drinks package on offer before from RCCL - on Norwegian, Carnival, P&O etc. they do it all the time but I've not seen it before on RCCL.  It's on the Ovation of the Seas and it also included OBC (US$100) and gratuities in the fare.  It's from Sydney, Australia to NZ return and we have booked ourselves on this cruise.  Yay!  It leaves on 2 April 2020 so still a bit off yet but something to look forward to 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...