Cruising over New Years

We take a cruise every year during the holidays. There is something festival going on everyday. The Christmas trees, every type of gingerbread house from small to huge and champagne for New Year's. The food is traditional with an old fashioned English Christmas meal. There are New Year hats, beads and singing. The entire cruise is extra lively. I hope this answers your questions. I would definitely recommend it. I have been on Grandeur, Allure, Anthem and Serenade as well as other ships. This gives you a range to tell you I have had fun on all.

34 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Has anyone ever taken a cruise over New Years? Is it very different compared to a regular sailing? Crazier? Same? Are there special events (other than a New Year's Eve celebration)? Would you recommend it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Just asking for research ?

You and your family would have an amazing time.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

YOLO Book it!

Lol!  I knew you would say that.  Truth is (and I know you will understand this one), the main thing holding me back is the slim pickings on staterooms.  Suites are sold out and so are connecting staterooms of any kind.  That would mean all 4 of us in one balcony or panoramic room...very tight squeeze!

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Lol!  I knew you would say that.  Truth is (and I know you will understand this one), the main thing holding me back is the slim pickings on staterooms.  Suites are sold out and so are connecting staterooms of any kind.  That would mean all 4 of us in one balcony or panoramic room...very tight squeeze!

I always book my holiday cruise as soon as they come out. This year Anthem, next year Explorer B2B and I will book 2020 when they come out. I usually book junior suites or balconies since I am D+.

Just now, Sweety said:

I always book my holiday cruise as soon as they come out. This year Anthem, next year Explorer B2B and I will book 2020 when they come out. I usually book junior suites or balconies since I am D+.

This was a spur of the moment sort of discussion that came up lol.  Funny part, Hubby brought it up first this time, not me!

36 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Would you ever get adjoining balcony rooms and open the balcony divider to go between the 2 rooms?  That may be outside your comfort zone.  We had to do this once when my kids were much younger and while I didn't love the set up, it still worked for us.  

That did cross my mind but it is bit outside what I am comfortable with for now....

I guess you wouldn’t consider if not connecting then adjoining cabins with an adult and a child in each one. 

I can’t speak to New Years Eve, but we were on a Christmas cruise and it was our favorite of all time- beautiful decorations, Santa came down the elevator, every child got a present, it was outstanding!!! 

I bet NYE is just as magical. 

14 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

I guess you wouldn’t consider if not connecting then adjoining cabins with an adult and a child in each one. 

I can’t speak to New Years Eve, but we were on a Christmas cruise and it was our favorite of all time- beautiful decorations, Santa came down the elevator, every child got a present, it was outstanding!!! 

I bet NYE is just as magical. 

It is. One year Royal had a crew member dressed like Father Time. He was dancing with everyone. As the clock reached midnight, he started for the door. At 12:00am another crew member came bouncing in the room full of youthful energy. I still have the images in my mind. The best way to leave one year and enter another year. 

6 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

We'll be on Brilliance this year for New Year's and looking forward to it. Kids are a little older (17 & 20) and we have adjoining balcony rooms. One advantage is a second bathroom! 

I was on Brilliance last year. The crew is amazing. You are going to have an awesome time.

2 hours ago, WhySoFarAway said:

I have no advice on this, but it makes me want to book one. I'm fairly new to this site, so forgive me if it's been done but.... Holiday cruising sounds like a great topic for a podcast episode

I've never done a holiday sailing either. That is why we are partially curious. I will tell you though that the disadvantage of waiting till now is that it is slim pickings for cabin choices. Book early if you are considering a holiday sailing. And welcome to our community! ? 

3 hours ago, WhySoFarAway said:

I have no advice on this, but it makes me want to book one. I'm fairly new to this site, so forgive me if it's been done but.... Holiday cruising sounds like a great topic for a podcast episode

I like holiday sailing but I think they can be overpriced in general. With Christmas and New Year's being widely celebrated, those tend to be much pricier.

US Thanksgiving tends to be reasonable and sometimes they start to decorating the ship the day after. Know on Vision the Friday after they started to construct the tree. On the subject of "Black Friday" don't recall a midnight madness type of sale. Next Cruise might have offered some type of bonus.

We cruise nearly very Christmas and when possible, include NY as well.  We love cruising during the Holidays. It is expensive, there are lots of children and they do sell out quickly but we love it.

We are on Grandeur this Christmas and NY (just made final payment!) and there are no dining packages offered at any price on this cruise (I know you don’t usually book specialty restaurants anyway). I think this is the norm these days.  They jack the prices up on specialty dining and add some small amenity to justify the cost. They have a few “exclusive” events on Christmas and NYE which are generally reserved seating with some small amenities (sparkling wine, etc) which are very expensive.

Even with all the special pricing,  we still enjoy Holiday savings. I do, however, recommend that you book your Holidays sailings EARLY. You will find the prices just go up and up.  We book as soon as they open up.  We will be on MSC Seaside for Christmas 2019.

I would LOVE to cruise over Christmas or New year's.  However, I have two kids in marching band and we never know if they will go to bowl games and where.  Well, I know illinois isn't going to a bowl game but Iowa State might lol.  Someday we will be empty nesters and go cruise during the break! Jane

Re

2 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

.  Someday we will be empty nesters and go cruise during the break! Jane

Maybe, maybe not. Just as you think you’re an empty nester, you’re a grandparent and you end up spending holidays (happy ones) with family. We were able to sneak away this one time and now we’re committed to traveling here, there and yonder to spend holidays with children and grandchildren. ALTHOUGH WE LOVE IT, another Christmas cruise is a dream. 

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

I would LOVE to cruise over Christmas or New year's.  However, I have two kids in marching band and we never know if they will go to bowl games and where.  Well, I know illinois isn't going to a bowl game but Iowa State might lol.  Someday we will be empty nesters and go cruise during the break! Jane

1 hour ago, Mljstr said:

Re

Maybe, maybe not. Just as you think you’re an empty nester, you’re a grandparent and you end up spending holidays (happy ones) with family. We were able to sneak away this one time and now we’re committed to traveling here, there and yonder to spend holidays with children and grandchildren. ALTHOUGH WE LOVE IT, another Christmas cruise is a dream. 

This just goes to prove @Matt's theory of YOLO Book it!! ?

On 9/2/2018 at 9:18 PM, Sweety said:

We take a cruise every year during the holidays. There is something festival going on everyday. The Christmas trees, every type of gingerbread house from small to huge and champagne for New Year's. The food is traditional with an old fashioned English Christmas meal. There are New Year hats, beads and singing. The entire cruise is extra lively. I hope this answers your questions. I would definitely recommend it. I have been on Grandeur, Allure, Anthem and Serenade as well as other ships. This gives you a range to tell you I have had fun on all.

Not sailing over New Years this year and next, but looking forward to checking out Christmas decorations on both Adventure, Harmony during the first week in December ? This is the typical time that I vacation (e.g. Las Vegas 2017, NYC 2016), so I'm used to seeing the amazing displays but never at sea before. Can't wait! 

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

@Lovetocruise2002 See what i spotted. ? YOLO! ? I would call them asap...

False alarm...Wonky Royal IT strikes again...I saw that last night already and tried to select it and it's actually not available.  Then I called and they confirmed that it's not available...the search continues...