Formal Night Dining & MyTime Dining

VinceC

Does anyone know if the Allure of the Seas has specific nights for their Formal Nights.   I am going on a 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Itinerary.

Does anyone know the best nights to be in the Main Dining Room verse eating in a specialty restaurant?   I don't want to missing out on the best dining options in the Main Dining room.

Thanks.....

On 8/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Lobster night usually is on night 6, so if your a fan the dining room is the place to be. 

Is there a place to look up what is served and when on formal nights for my specific cruise (Liberty of the seas 9-30 to Oct 7th), do you need to make reservations in advance? What is the minimum attire for formal wear ie men tie and dress shirt, women dress?

46 minutes ago, Vicky said:

Is there a place to look up what is served and when on formal nights for my specific cruise (Liberty of the seas 9-30 to Oct 7th), do you need to make reservations in advance? What is the minimum attire for formal wear ie men tie and dress shirt, women dress?

This is a hotly debated item.  There is no actual dress code.  They have published "recommendations" and some people become highly agitated when other guests do not follow the recommendations.  

See this blog post:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/01/01/everything-you-need-know-about-formal-night-royal-caribbean-cruise

For actual menu items, if you go through some live blogs you will often see menu pictures for each night.  Here is a live blog from Liberty in February.  I tried to include MDR menu most nights:

The dress on formal night runs from tuxedos and formal gowns to shorts, flip flops and tee shirts.  They would probably ask you to go back and change if you had on swim wear.  So it would depend on whether you cared what someone else thought about what you are wearing!  LIke Twangster said it has been a hotly debate subject for years.

The last few Live Blogs that people have posted showed that Royal is now calling it "Dress your Best" night. Basically, even Royal has thrown their hands in the air on this one. If you want to dress in a suit / tuxedo or cocktail dress and live it up like it's 1959, go for it! If your attitude is, "I have to dress nicely for work every day and I'm on vacation, dang it!", then go more casually. Like @MikeK said, there's not much the staff in the MDR are going to turn you away for.

My cruise last April on Freedom, my family and I as well as our table-mates were all dressed formally, but we saw plenty of people in shorts and at least one wearing one of those t-shirts with a tuxedo design printed on it. I never dress up for anything anymore outside of my company's holiday party, so I liked the chance to pull out my suit and look a little sharper than usual, and I did my best not to judge anyone who chose not to do the same. My teenage girls were both wishing they were those people wearing shorts and a t-shirt. ?

I can't help myself, I'm one of the people who get annoyed when I see t shirts and shorts. I don't need ball gowns but I love the whole atmosphere of the dining areas and nicer clothes. I would never say anything, nor would it ruin my evening, I just like the looks of everyone trying a little. It's pretty much the only time you'll see me in a dress.

Saying that, I didn't see much of shorts and t shirts last month and it was still called "Formal Night".

So far only Mariner is doing "Dress your Best" that I know of.  Mariner only does 3 and 4 night Bahamas cruises at the moment.  Short cruises don't tend to see as much formal wear as longer cruises.  Caribbean cruises tend not to be as formal as European cruises.  

I'm one of those people who doesn't notice what other people wear.  I tend to bring an old sports coat and shirt with a collar.  No tie.  It's hardly formal but quite average.  I don't even notice what other people wear.  If you offered me a $100 as I walked out of the dining room to tell you what the table beside me wore at dinner I couldn't.  

I also tend not to notice what other people are wearing, and don't care all that much. 

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of formal night. After a long day of relaxing in the sun the last thing I want to do is go back to my cabin, spend forever getting ready, and put on uncomfortable shoes just to go to dinner. If it's just my husband and I cruising we pretty much always skip it and either do specialty or just go to the Windjammer.