Extended family in stateroom... Air matteress-- Yay or Nay?

I have a cruise coming up in June on Adventure  and have an aft facing junior suite. I will have my wife, 9 year old daughter, and my 75 year old aunt in our cabin. Trying to to keep everyone one happy with the sleeping arrangements, my daughter said she was not comfortable sleeping on the sofa bed with my aunt. So my suggestion was to bring one of our air mattresses. It is a twin-sized mattress that has an internal motor to inflate itself. My question is this. I know RCCL has a laundry list of items that are not allowed on the ship. While this air mattress does not generate heat like a hair dryer or would run for an extended period of time, would this be an item they would confiscate from our luggage? I am just trying to keep the peace. I would like to hear what thoughts you may have. 

9 minutes ago, PeloAl said:

Way too many adults in one tiny cabin. Spend a few $$ and get an extra room.

This is probably a better solution. Especially if you can get connecting rooms (assuming it's not too late). Bonus - you get an extra full bathroom.

I have heard of people bringing them to put on top of the mattress due to the beds being unbearably uncomfortable for some (us for one). We carry a mattress topper with us. However, I don't know if there is a certain type of air mattress to buy.  

While the air mattress is not a prohibited item, you have to take in consideration that it might be a hindrance. The stateroom attendant will have to deal with it, and it may impede the walking space. A JS is only slightly bigger than interiors/balcony. So, space will be an issue. 

The sofa bed pull out is on 2 levels, so it isnt the same as sleeping the same bed, really. We have air mattresses for sleepovers and they can be stored behind the curtain in the morning, so not heavy or in the way at all, the issue is where to put it when it is time to go to bed given the chairs and table in the living area. I dont see the need to splurge on a larger room, it will be fine. The only issue I see is they may question the thing used to inflate the mattress 🙂

On 3/26/2024 at 8:38 AM, Vacation Crazy said:

We use the sofa bed with the lower trundle left down.  It makes for a little more separation.  

Harmony or oasis class sofa bed size - Royal Caribbean International -  Cruise Critic Community

This brings up an interesting question.  We had a junior suite on Adventure and our room had a pull out couch that was a single full sized mattress, not a trundle bed.  Is this picture from a room on Adventure?  If it is, can you tell by the room code what type of pull out bed you have?

Just throwing it out there because I've stayed in an aft JS (not on Adventure, but they're all basically the same layout).

You're going cramped with four people to a junior suite -- the mattress is going to take up most of the space on the floor.  Is it doable?  Yes.  Are you going to get tired of shuffling things around after the 2nd day?  Probably.  Also, it's gonna suck for the kid sleeping on an air mattress for a week.

I'd consider getting an interior room for the aunt so she can have her own space to sleep.

1 hour ago, thatguy said:

This brings up an interesting question.  We had a junior suite on Adventure and our room had a pull out couch that was a single full sized mattress, not a trundle bed.  Is this picture from a room on Adventure?  If it is, can you tell by the room code what type of pull out bed you have?

Having been on Wonder with one of these beds, that is what the photo looks like. I was on Freedom in December and we had a grandsuite that had a single fold out sofa bed. I suspect that Adventure will have a similar bed. 

But it is all good. A day on a cruise ship vacation beats a week at work and I will have 8 nights on this sailing. Hope to see @smokeybandit around. 

On 3/26/2024 at 1:18 PM, Ampurp85 said:

While the air mattress is not a prohibited item, you have to take in consideration that it might be a hindrance. The stateroom attendant will have to deal with it, and it may impede the walking space. A JS is only slightly bigger than interiors/balcony. So, space will be an issue. 

The air mattress I have is super nice. I can easily deflate it and store it in the closet with no problem. Afterall, these junior suite cabins have a pretty large walking closet. It would not be an issue with stateroom attendant. I would make sure it was put away before we left the cabin for the day. 

7 hours ago, TheoneandonlyMICAH said:

The air mattress I have is super nice. I can easily deflate it and store it in the closet with no problem. Afterall, these junior suite cabins have a pretty large walking closet. It would not be an issue with stateroom attendant. I would make sure it was put away before we left the cabin for the day. 

When I saw the size of the walk in junior suite closet I recall thinking one of my kids could sleep in there!🤣