Packing Cubes?

Yes I use them.  My first packing cubes were gifted to me and from day one I was a fan!  I have several brands and sizes and use them for every trip.  My husband has his and I have mine.  The smaller sizes are great for underwear…work out clothing…bathing suits/ cover ups…pjs.  I use one larger one to pack all my clothing needs for my pre-cruise wardrobe.  If I am flying, this one goes in my carryon.  I also pack my embarkation day clothes in the same cube.  Nothing gets touched in my suitcase!  
The cubes are great because there is no need to unpack most of them…just place them in drawers or shelves.  The larger ones get packed with most of the daily and evening wear and are unpacked in order to hang up the clothes.  They get repacked with “dirty clothes” along the way.

Samantha Brown (HSN) has really good ones.  My originals are from Amazon and I believe are from Veken.  However, the ones they sell now are not like the ones I have.  All of mine have see through plastic covers…not mesh.  I prefer non mesh tops as well as sturdy outer  shells.  

We never travel without them. Perfect if you stay in a hotel the night before embarkation. You just pack one with the clothes you know you need the next day so there is no need to disturb your fully packed suitcase. We have one suitcase w next day cubes, then our other suitcases use cubes in the same way shared by others in this thread. I prefer the mesh ones and each family member has their own unique color. 

I use them every trip now. I've had them for...2 years? For both business and pleasure. It's so nice to just open my suitcase, pull out a cube, and throw it in a drawer. It also is incredibly helpful when looking for something - it's not just in the depths of my suitcase and now I have to root around for it. While I have the compression cubes, I don't usually use that feature because I overfill (guilty!). 

EDIT - They are also great for laundry packing!

Use em. They are flexible in so many ways. Organize your stuff any way that makes sense to you. Clothing type, by day, by activity, by snacks, by toiletries, by individual. They come in any size, multiple colors for further sorting.

I like to think ahead how I will probably store my stuff in the cabin. Grab a cube, drop it in a drawer, put it on a shelf, done. I use one color, spouse uses another.

Separate one night pre cruise bag, no problem. Separate bag for small electronics like phones, ear buds, USB cables, night light, charger....no problem.

If you like to be organized, its a no brainer.

I use them and I use a combination. I prefer the compression kind. But I had brought the regular ones well before, so I use both.

I cross pack so I put complete outfits, and underwear, in one and I can pull them out at my leisure. So, I don't have to unpack when I have hotel stays and multiple cruises. 

We use them. We use the ebags cubes.  Iv'e used them for about 12 years, now.  We have a lot of kids.  Everyone has their own color.  This way when you're traveling you don't need a suitcase for everyone.  You can make 7 people use 3 suitcases and know who's stuff is in which suitcase right away.  It helps us check less bags.  The color thing works really well at home, too.  Each kid's color is their laundry basket, toothbrush, towel, draw string bags, etc...   It keeps. things so organized.  Even when I go on a trip with just my husband we always use them, the suitcase is so organized.  It makes it very easy to hit the weight limit for checking bags.  You can more easily open the suitcase and move one bag to a carry on, if the weight is over.

As if I don’t have enough of these!  LOL but after reading @need2cruz post I checked out the ebag website and they have a huge sale!  Well…”huge sale” is my middle name!!! (According to my husband…lol) so I ordered a set of 3 and a set of 4 in turquoise!  My excuse is I am preparing for my 21 day TransAtlantic(14)/ Land(7) vacation in 2025!

The Boss loves them. She will group like items in each cube to make packing/unpacking easier. She will also group certain things together so we can pull one cube at the hotel the night before etc.

So far she is the only user of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they spread to the rest of us soon.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Question regarding cubes (I've never used one in my life !!).  It would seem that the goal is to compress your things so that the air is removed (to whatever degree that is possible).  Does that, then, cause your suitcases to be extra heavy b/c the contents are condensed so more can fit in ?  

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

LOL yes. I don't even have the compression kind but my luggage is definitely heavier when I use them. 

I have, but don't use the compression kind.

Using the regular packing cubes, I overfill them and then zipper them down so they're compressed, but not as much as they would be with the compression cubes. It can make your luggage heavier for sure since you're packing more stuff into less space!

Another note that I haven't seen mentioned is that my clothes come out of the cubes much less wrinkled than when packed without the cubes. My thought is that they are just so tightly packed that they can't shift around they way they might otherwise? I do fold them super carefully before putting them in the cubes. I know it kind of doesn't make sense since you're smashing them tight, but really! 

I love the packing cubes - as others have mentioned, it is so easy to unpack and just toss cubes into the drawers/on the shelves. For me, packing takes longer, but unpacking is so easy! 

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Question regarding cubes (I've never used one in my life !!).  It would seem that the goal is to compress your things so that the air is removed (to whatever degree that is possible).  Does that, then, cause your suitcases to be extra heavy b/c the contents are condensed so more can fit in ?  

I don't really compress (I'm fairly new to using cubes, and don't use them all of the time) because I'm worried about breaking the zipper and/or the mesh, so I think my bags are only heavier by the weight of the actual cube, itself, although it is made of a very lightweight material so I doubt that it is even a pound with all of them together. So far, I'd say my favorite reason for using them is the ability to pull out one with everything for overnight in a hotel, as others have mentioned. 

If I can get my act together on the last night of the cruise (we do put out luggage in the hall), I'd love to leverage my family's cubes to make it easier to do the carryon/checked bags swap once we collect our luggage before our flights. 

Raye…So I haven’t noticed heavier luggage but I do have very, very neat, tidy, and organized luggage!  I still pack the same things I’ve always packed but these cubes just create individualized spaces for everything.

Now…if luggage was compartmentalized or came with spacers to create your own sections…cubes probably would not be necessary.  Oh, except for the part that with the cubes you can take them out and put them into drawers or on shelves to still keep everything organized and separated!

6 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Now…if luggage was compartmentalized or came with spacers to create your own sections…cubes probably would not be necessary.  Oh, except for the part that with the cubes you can take them out and put them into drawers or on shelves to still keep everything organized and separated!

Have you seen the "Carry On Closet"? 

image.png.f4428ad0b2d08ec440bd6b35db0cafe2.png

9 hours ago, GregD said:

The Boss loves them. She will group like items in each cube to make packing/unpacking easier. She will also group certain things together so we can pull one cube at the hotel the night before etc. So far she is the only user of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they spread to the rest of us soon.

30 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

My Wife uses them.  Loves them.  Her shelves, the bottom three, you can  some of her cubes on the shelf. She always knows where her stuff is.  Best I can know of my stuff, is some of my stuff must be in this stack.😎

Sensing a trend...

With dense packing accomplished with cubes, rolling undies etc....you can pack more in a single bag. Is it heavier? Well...yes. 

So the next step is a good quality roller bag you can pull behind you. Add A medium size carry on with sturdy shoulder strap you can carry or loop over the handle of the roller bag and you can manage one or even two weeks of travel stuff by yourself.

Where this comes in really handy is when you disembark. You get to leave the ship first with no waiting. You can take all your bags With you and generally walk thought customs stateside straight to your transportation.

If you had 3 or 4 bags, per person, this is generally not possible. It is a long process to put your bags outside the room, wait for your departure time, go to your assembly point, file off, find your bags in customs, get a porter or cart.....

Being compact with good luggage choices has benefits. Cubes help.

9 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I haven’t really noticed this as I’m still packing the same amount of stuff, I can just fit it in less bags/suitcases, so it makes it a little easier for me. We have 2 young kids so saving space is key for us and if I can bring one less bag or turn a checked bag into a carry on it’s a bonus…plus their clothes don’t weight much 😂